Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

WWYD: trying to get from Italy to Pullman WA for the Oregon-WSU Game.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS

I love college football. I have had my season tickets to the Cougars for 20 years. A couple days ago the Pac-12 finally released their football schedule and it was exactly what I was afraid of...the WSU-UO game is slated to be when I'm at the end of a conference in South Tyrol. So I am considering busting hump at the end of the 20th to go 5300mi to get to Pullman in time for the always exciting WSU-UO game the afternoon of the 11/21 Sounds crazy, I know...

The tentative plan is flying from either SEA-YVR-LHR on about 11/2 with my family. This would be on saver J award through UA (available).

on about 11/15 or 16, my family departs BLQ-LHR-SEA on BA in J on a BA award (available with BA or AS)

Now I only have to worry about me.

I figure I need to be into Seattle by about noon or so so I can make it to the 2:35pm flight SEA-PUW to put me into Pullman by 3:40pm. Game time hasn't been announced, but the earliest would probably be 3:30pm.

So what makes the most sense (everything will be in J except puddle jumpers)?

#1 . Instead of me going on a UA award from home to LHR, I could just do an UR/Cash type booking. Then take SEA-YVR-LHR and then return INN-FRA-SEA at 6:30am on the 21st to put me into Seattle at 12:20pm. that is like a $3600 ticket, so 240,000 UR. Then I would get some UA miles back..according to the UA website, 17,300.

#2 . Stick with UA/AC award then take EasyJet from Verona to LTN the night of the 20th. Bright and early take the first BA flight LHR-SEA to put me into SEA at 11:35am. That is 70,000+62,500=132,500 UR plus probably about $600 is EasyJet and Taxes/Fees.

#3 . Stick with UA/AC award then take BA the night of the 20th from someplace (Milan of Venice probably). Bright and early take the first BA flight LHR-SEA to put me into SEA at 11:35am. That is 70,000+70250=140,250 UR plus probably about $400 Taxes/Fees. Con here is I would leave before I would want to by a couple hours.

Which is the least crazy?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:30 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I’d probably go with option #3 personally.

Note for #2 that Luton and Heathrow are 34 miles apart, so depending on how late you’d be arriving it could make for a fairly unpleasant and/or expensive overnight connection.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonei
I’d probably go with option #3 personally.

Note for #2 that Luton and Heathrow are 34 miles apart, so depending on how late you’d be arriving it could make for a fairly unpleasant and/or expensive overnight connection.
I"m not sure it would be any more unpleasant that overnighting in LHR. It looks like there are buses that run between them quite often for £30.

I guess I am leaning towards the expensive one out of Innsbruck. It burns more, but I think it would be a lot easier...except for FRA, FRA sucks.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Option #4 train to Zurich after my work, arrive about 11pm. Take BA from Zurich and connect on the early SEA flight....

That one is looking good.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Option #5 . Leave your conference a day early, reduce the stress level and increase the margin for error.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How important is the conference and what is its exact schedule? Maybe you can skip it and maybe you're invited to give the closing plenary presentation.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How important is the conference and what is its exact schedule? Maybe you can skip it and maybe you're invited to give the closing plenary presentation.
I only ever talk on the first day when everyone is awake and alert...haha.

Much of it is an ag trade show and then ag tours with some meetings, but much of the allure are the tours and trade show. It is held every other year in Bolzano for three days. This time, there is a third party group organizing more tours starting nine days earlier in Bologna. I doubt skipping out a day early will matter much, but two and not much point in Bolzano at all...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.