Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Chase Sapphire - free delivery to end of 2021

World and World Elite Mastercard® cardholders get:
  • $5 off first two orders on DoorDash every month until 9/30/22, while supplies last.
  • $0 delivery fees and 10% off on restaurant orders over $12, grocery orders over $25. 5% credit back on eligible Pickup orders

https://www.doordash.com/mastercard/

Print Wikipost

Chase Doordash Benefit (Revised April 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:58 am
Original Poster
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Chase Doordash Benefit (Revised April 2022)

$60 Annual DoorDash Statement Credit

As of 1/12/20, the Sapphire Reserve will offer a $60 annual DoorDash credit.

You’ll get a $60 statement credit in 2020 and a $60 statement credit in 2021.

Just charge a DoorDash purchase to your Sapphire Reserve, and you’ll automatically receive a statement credit for the first $60 you spend on the card with DoorDash in a calendar year. There’s no registration required.

In addition they are offering a complimentary DashPass membership.

Chase and DoorDash announced a new partnership today, January 7 for select cardholders. If you have a Chase card, you may receive a complimentary or discounted DashPass membership.

DashPass offers free delivery and lower service fees from hundreds of restaurants on orders of $12 or more. This service typically costs $9.99 a month, but you can receive up to a year free with an eligible Chase card.

https://onemileatatime.com/chase-doordash/

I went online and cancelled my existing paid DashPass and it took one second to enroll my free Chase membership from my Sapphire card.

Including the $60 credit this is an actual $180/ year savings for me, a real added benefit.

Last edited by damon88; Jan 11, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
It's interesting that this benefit is only for Chase-branded cards.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Chipotle on DD is regular price. That makes it easy to spend the $60 quickly.
I remember reading something negative about DoorDash last year that they uses the tips as payment to drivers and lowered the normal pay. It was like taking the tips from the drivers. They announced that they will change it but didn't. Not sure how it is now. If you are going to tip the driver, make sure you tip in cash just in case.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Need
I remember reading something negative about DoorDash last year that they uses the tips as payment to drivers and lowered the normal pay. It was like taking the tips from the drivers. They announced that they will change it but didn't. Not sure how it is now. If you are going to tip the driver, make sure you tip in cash just in case.
Why would you even have food delivered? Just go pick it up. Not only is the food more fresh, but you take out a whole bunch of potential things that can go wrong:
- If the order is incorrect, you can tell the restaurant to redo it
- Nobody can deliver your order to someone else and someone else's order to you
- No one can spike your drinks or slip other types of poison into your food
- Doordash can't steal your tips because you're not tipping anyone
- No tips to pay that decrease the value of your credit
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by STS-134
Why would you even have food delivered?
Isn't part of the benefit of this deal the free delivery? Why would you not take advantage of that and the $60 credit?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Isn't part of the benefit of this deal the free delivery? Why would you not take advantage of that and the $60 credit?
Nope - w/ Doordash you still have to pay (1) a service fee based on a % of the total and (2) tipping the delivery person. The "free delivery" part is that you don't have to pay the membership fee to use it. If you have seamless or grub hub, it's much cheaper as you don't have the service fee and you don't have the membership fee.

Also, I read that prices on menus on doordash are higher than menus at the restaurant or seamless but they tried to change that.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are 3 types of fee with Door Dash from the FAQs I read last night.
Service Fee (using Door Dash), Delivery Fee (that is why some places listed as Free Delivery and that is an option to filter out the listing), and the Tips to the driver. The last one has been mentioned as a gray area as Door Dash took the driver's tips in the past, making the drive only earn $2 to $3 on a trip according to some reviews on the net.

Another thing is, dont remember it is related to Door Dash or GrubHub - that now customers can choose whether to prepay tips or not - on the net some drivers said they would NOT take the orders that dont have prepaid tips if there are other orders have prepaid tips. Who can blame them?

The delivery time I saw last night was all over 35 min to 45 min, for a simple fast food from a joint (Burger King or Chick Fillet) no more than 5 min drive from home... just sayin.

That is not even accounted for 95% of the restaurants in my area are fast food joints. I thought most people who own a high fee card are not fans of fast foods?

My guess is, for many if they are not users of food delivery to begin with, they most likely would quickly use the $60 credit before their new AF kick in and then seriously revalue.

Chase probably pays very little on this benefit to a start up that is burning $$$$$$ of investors money to try to make it. It may very well become a WeWork scenario for all we know it!

Last edited by Happy; Jan 10, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
The free delivery is a meaningless "benefit". I would never have people pick up my food in the first place if I wasn't trying to burn credits to get as much of my AF back as possible. All that does is increase the amount of time between when it leaves the kitchen and when you eat it.

Originally Posted by Brian Chen
Nope - w/ Doordash you still have to pay (1) a service fee based on a % of the total and (2) tipping the delivery person. The "free delivery" part is that you don't have to pay the membership fee to use it. If you have seamless or grub hub, it's much cheaper as you don't have the service fee and you don't have the membership fee.

Also, I read that prices on menus on doordash are higher than menus at the restaurant or seamless but they tried to change that.
Yep and it's the same with UberEats. Uber used to have all of these promotions for free delivery and used to not have service fees, and I burned my first few Amex Platinum credits on such orders. Then they started charging a 15% "service fee" on top of the delivery fees but thankfully added the option to pick the food up yourself, so I always do that now (which avoids all extra fees entirely). It's better doing that anyway because you can arrive at the restaurant before your order is ready and get it just as it comes out of the kitchen. If you end up using a courier, then not only might that person drop off food somewhere else before he or she drops off your food, but there's generally a delay between when the food is ready and when it gets picked up on top of that.

People who have been strictly part of the Chase ecosystem and haven't played the game with Amex are really going to be disappointed by these changes. It's far more annoying getting value out of services like Doordash and UberEats than out of a liberal $300 travel credit because these services try to nickel and dime you at every step along the way, which further reduces the value of what they're selling.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Brian Chen

I just looked at my last couple of Grubhub orders to get the $10 monthly Amex Gold credit. Some of my orders have 3 fees and some only have 1 so I think it really depends on where you order. Based on my past GH order the fees have varied as following:

Delivery Fee - $0 to $3.00
Service Fee - $0 to $3.55
Tip - A given since I always tip the driver based on the value of the food.

So with the CSR and DoorDash it would basically be the same...tip is a given, service fee likely $0 or a percentage of the order and then the delivery fee should always be $0 with the free membership the CSR is providing. Which brings me back to my comment before...if you are ordering via DoorDash why wouldn't you let the order be delivered since you have a $0 delivery fee. Service Fee and Tip will vary accordingly.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:22 pm

Which brings me back to my comment before...if you are ordering via DoorDash why wouldn't you let the order be delivered since you have a $0 delivery fee. Service Fee and Tip will vary accordingly.
Wait...if you pick it up yourself, Doordash still charges a service fee?!?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:42 pm

With all these fees, I dont understand why anyone would use Doordash. If I can pickup Chipotle for "free" then Ill do that, but getting delivery makes zero sense.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
With all these fees, I dont understand why anyone would use Doordash. If I can pickup Chipotle for "free" then Ill do that, but getting delivery makes zero sense.
I'll never use door dash. Their reputation keeps getting worse and worse thanks to their drivers. I usually use GrubHub with Amex and I pick up from restaurant. I already downgraded my CSR to freedom unlimited before the rate kicks in end of this month. I just hate being forced in using a service I don't like. The new changes to CSR might benifit others but it definitely doesn't benifit me.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Because some of us don't like crappy Mexican food from Chipotle. And some of us want something delivered and not have to run out to get it.
damon88 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Because some of us don't like crappy Mexican food from Chipotle. And some of us want something delivered and not have to run out to get it.
I mean, the whole point of Door Dash is to have food delivered to you.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:12 pm

Sometimes you "need" food delivered. It's called life. I am willing to bet 1 million UR everyone here has been in a situation at least once in your life. Can't believe people don't understand this.....
roberto99 and roundtree like this.

Last edited by openwheelracing; Jan 10, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.