Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase Shut Down thread: (Archived version found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-consolidated.html]
There is a general Shut Down thread in the Manufactured Spend forum, found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
When someone reports an account closure here, people are curious as to both the background on the Chase relationship and any/all potential shut down triggers. Please answer any relevant questions to give details. This could help figure out what happened or how you could proceed:
  1. Background: Do you have both Credit Cards and Banking accounts with Chase? Tell us your history at Chase. What do you feel the trigger could have been? Does anything unusual (from the bankers perspective) go on in your accounts? How long have you had a banking relationship with Chase? Please explain.
  2. Ultimate Rewards: Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last names? Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Potentially suspicious activities: Do you use multiple sources to pay your credit card bills, such as Walmart Bill Pay? Do you ACH using multiple accounts? Did you recently wire transfer large amounts into or out of your Chase accounts?
  4. Bonus Earnings: Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  5. Other possible Triggers:
  6. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  7. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line or cycling the credit lines on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  8. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  9. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit recently? Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? Do you mimic a "bust out" profile? (Someone maxing out credit prior to filing bankruptcy)
  10. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  11. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  12. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  13. Did you abuse the Chase Refer a Friend system?
  14. Did you use/abuse Chase's new checking/savings sign up bonus incentives?
  15. Did you bounce a check for a credit card payment?
  16. DId someone at your address get shut down also?
  17. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other accounts at Chase? Are they in good standing?
  18. Did you dispute or return items on your credit cards? How many times?
  19. Have you recently needed back office help on your accounts, which may have triggered a review or called attention to something?
Print Wikipost

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
So once a person is shut down by Chase, they are blacklisted for life?
I was blacklisted before unfortunately (late payments in the 2008 housing crash)), it took 10 years to get my first Chase card again.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:32 am
RNE

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
Has anyone been able to open a new account, after some time, when accts have been closed for rewards abuse?
Originally Posted by mster
You can try to open one, but on the off chance you get lucky and your app goes through they'll just close the new account down after a few months anyways.
Not necessarily so. There are anecdotal reports of Chase forgiving and forgetting.

What's the timeline though for when Chase will forgive and forget?
The longer the better.

There's no indication this is so.

The above said, don't count on ever being in Chase's good graces again.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:00 pm

Any reports of chase shutdowns because you opened/closed an account rapidly at another bank? Opened a new CC a few months back at a major bank, not a fan after all, want to close it but don’t want to risk Chase shutdown.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:54 am
RNE

Originally Posted by manlymatt83
Any reports of chase shutdowns because you opened/closed an account rapidly at another bank? Opened a new CC a few months back at a major bank, not a fan after all, want to close it but don’t want to risk Chase shutdown.
No.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:58 am
RNE

Another long spell with no shutdown reports -- not that that's a bad thing.

RNE, wondering if Ebenezer Dimon is going soft.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:17 pm

No. It's a YMMV thing. It all depends on the circumstances on why you were shut down. How much of a loss Chase had, if you paid them back, etc.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
I've read that Chase can just close them with no notice, but does Chase send out any notification/letter letting you know they will be closing down your accounts before they close them? Giving you like 2 weeks?
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:37 am
RNE

Originally Posted by cajunguy
I've read that Chase can just close them with no notice, but does Chase send out any notification/letter letting you know they will be closing down your accounts before they close them? Giving you like 2 weeks?
Nope.
EdofFX and cajunguy like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:27 pm

People who have had their accounts shutdown by Amex or Chase ... was there a delay between the day they were shutdown and the day they appeared on your credit report? Did you have enough time to apply for a new card(s) at another bank before your score took a hit?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:23 pm

account review data point

So I applied for and was approved for the Chase priority Southwest RR credit card in the middle of December. I received it about a week later and then began trying to hit the milestones for the companion pass. When I hit just over half of my $17.9k CL, they froze my card for account review. Of the ~$9k in and spending, about $150 was non-manufactured spending. Everything else was Pavilions Vons or Ralphs in amounts close to, but never exactly multiples of $505.95. These transactions all occurred within one week, my second week of card ownership. I'd had Southwest cards before but it had been four or five years. I have three other credit cards with Chase totaling around $25k in CL excluding this card, but they all much older, outside the 5/24 rule. I have no other Chase accounts/products. I got too greedy. I think what triggered it was attempting to buy gift cards at usbank.com. They told me they will make a determination as to whether or not they will keep this account in 10 calendar days. But I cannot imagine the scenario in which they do not shut me down. I flew too close to the sun since I last got the companion pass in 2016; I was just too excited. I haven't yet made a single payment. Unfortunately I was $800 shy of hitting the $10k mark which would have netted me the 100k points which I was going after, instead I've only hit the 50k milestone. The account review CSR could not tell me how this would affect my point accrual exactly as my statement will close and they will accrue before the 10 calendar day period is over. She directly asked me if I was purchasing gift cards. I declined to answer. I will post the results of the account review here and anything else I learn.
cajunguy likes this.

Last edited by barcanomics; Jan 4, 2022 at 1:23 am
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:52 am
RNE

Originally Posted by barcanomics
I flew too close to the sun
Good luck, Icarus.

RNE, rooting for you.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:55 pm

Shutdown Data Points

Originally Posted by RNE
Nope.
Here's my current experience. I've had the Chase Ink, Freedom and Sapphire cards for nearly 10 years. I have a legit business listed for the Ink card. I also have a joint checking/savings account at Chase. Last Jan 2021 I began buying with Buyers Clubs, various ones. I would mostly use my Chase Ink card to purchase gift cards for the buys but also use other CCs for the purchases. I would then deposit the checks into my checking account then pay off the CCs. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. I went through the entire year trying to keep it random. At most my purchases for the Buyers Club would be near $4k per month. As you can see, small in volume compared to most others.

I received a letter from Chase letting me know they would be ending their relationship with me effective Jan X, 2022. The letter listed all my CC's, ATM and Checking and Savings account information. Basically giving me a couple weeks to get my affairs in order before they would shut me completely out. They do have a phone number for questions on the letter. The letter also states that going into a branch asking for clarification would not be helpful as the branch personnel would not be able to see information related to this. I called to close out my Zero balance CCs soon after the letter was opened. I wasn't using them anyway. I called the number, the person I spoke with only said that the accounts would be closed and when I asked for a reason they said they do not have to provide this. I asked if this would really impact the checking account and they explained that I was the primary on the account and yes, it would impact it. I did get 'I'm sorry' from the person I spoke with before hanging up. I walked into the branch anyway asking to speak with a banker, none were there. The senior teller did look at my account and couldn't see anything problematic also saying that my accounts had been opened for a long period of time. She asked if she could escalate this and have someone call me, I agreed to this. No one ever called back. I recently went to a branch to ask to be removed from the checking and savings account, the banker there did this and kept my debit card. When I log into my Chase account all I can see is my Ink account. I'd like to avoid having the checking/savings accounts closed as it's setup with many auto deposits and payments. It's not clear what flagged my account transactions, perhaps the velocity of deposits to payment of the credit cards which I would give about 3 or 4 days between.

I did some further research here online and found a reddit posting from 5 years ago, a phone number was listed that would get me right to a Review Board. I plan on calling in a day or so to give the recent actions a chance to cycle through everything with Chase. My plan is to ask to keep the checking/savings accounts open, I'm no longer involved on those.

I plan on transferring all of the points accumulated to my partner's account, I don't want to loose those. I have 30 days after the closure to do this transfer.

I will update this with the outcome from the call after I've done it.

UPDATE: 1/10 - Chase will close my deposit accounts even though I had removed myself from the account. My partner moved the remaining funds to another account at Chase. I will eventually try to be added to this other account at some point. Until then I'll open a fee free deposit account with another bank. I've transferred over 350K UR points to my partner's account. The phone number I mentioned above did not help as I had already basically removed myself from the deposit account and with only the Ink card still open the agent I spoke with could not access the deposit account information to help. My partner contacted Chase asking if they could review the deposit accounts now that I was no longer involved, this did not prove fruitful either.
Xyzzy and tstauck like this.

Last edited by cajunguy; Jan 10, 2022 at 10:01 am Reason: update
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:50 am
RNE

I received a letter from Chase letting me know they would be ending their relationship with me effective Jan X, 2022.
Wait. Are you saying your credit cards were still active when you received that letter? That you could (if you wanted to) runup your balances?

I will update this with the outcome from the call after I've done it.
Good.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:56 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RNE
Wait. Are you saying your credit cards were still active when you received that letter? That you could (if you wanted to) runup your balances?
Yes, the CCs remain open until the date on the letter. I'm also certain I'll still be on the hook for payment of the balance.

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 2022 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:12 pm

Thank you for telling us, I'm sorry to hear about this.

Last Jan 2021 I began buying with Buyers Clubs, various ones. I would mostly use my Chase Ink card to purchase gift cards for the buys but also use other CCs for the purchases. I would then deposit the checks into my checking account then pay off the CCs. Wash, Rinse, Repeat..
You say you bought "gift cards" and then "deposit the checks into my checking account." Do you mean that you sold the gift cards to individuals who wrote you personal checks? or that you turned the gift cards into money orders and then deposited the money orders? or something else?

Last edited by shdflyer; Jan 5, 2022 at 6:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.