Community
Wiki Posts
Search

0/24 and advice on plan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

0/24 and advice on plan

Would like some advice on my plan. My wife and I have taken a couple years off applying for new cards and are now both 0/24. My travel habits highly favor UR points as well as Hyatt so I focus most of my spend there.

I recently applied and was approved for Ink Unlimited so I suppose I'm 1/24 now.

I have a FU, Freedom, Hyatt, Ink Cash and now Ink Unlimited. I am an AU on my wife's CSR.

My FU was a downgrade from a CSP when I was added to the CSR. CSP had an account open date of 4/15 so I'm guessing a bonus date of 7/15.
My Hyatt was opened 6/15 so bonus around 9/15.

My Plan:
I apply for CSR for SUB and downgrade wifes CSR.
Cancel Hyatt and then reapply for new SUB.
Have wife apply for Hyatt and combine points.
Cool off for a few months so I can hit spending requirements again and then possibly another sapphire product for my wife and maybe a SW card.

Questions:
1) Can I apply for a CSR when I am currently an AU on a CSR already or do I need to be removed first?
2) Would it actually be better to apply for CSP since the SUB is 10k higher and then upgrade after meeting the bonus?
3) How long after cancelling Hyatt before I reapply? 30 days I'm guessing
4) If I was approved for the Ink card on 7/31 how long before applying for a personal card and then how long before second personal card?
5) Can I downgrade a card to a Freedom even if I already have a Freedom and have 2?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by brclark82
I recently applied and was approved for Ink Unlimited so I suppose I'm 1/24 now.
No. BUSINESS card accounts do not increase the 24 month count. (Chase business card applications are nonetheless subject to the 5/24 rule.)

1) Can I apply for a CSR when I am currently an AU on a CSR already or do I need to be removed first?
Holding an AU card on another per's account is irrelevant.

2) Would it actually be better to apply for CSP since the SUB is 10k higher and then upgrade after meeting the bonus?
Most issuers will not upgrade or downgrade a new account during the first 12 months.

5) Can I downgrade a card to a Freedom even if I already have a Freedom and have 2?
Yes
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
No. BUSINESS card accounts do not increase the 24 month count. (Chase business card applications are nonetheless subject to the 5/24 rule.)

Holding an AU card on another per's account is irrelevant.

Most issuers will not upgrade or downgrade a new account during the first 12 months.

Yes
I knew that Biz accounts didn't count towards 5/24 but I thought Chase Biz accounts did for some reason, I appreciate the clarification.
Good to know about the upgrading and downgrading within 12 month thing, probably just app for the CSR since I will be planning on actually keeping the card long term.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by brclark82
I knew that Biz accounts didn't count towards 5/24 but I thought Chase Biz accounts did for some reason, I appreciate the clarification.
Good to know about the upgrading and downgrading within 12 month thing, probably just app for the CSR since I will be planning on actually keeping the card long term.
It depends. During the card's first year, do you plan to spend a lot on dining/travel that warrants the extra 1x above the CSP? As you noted, CSP has a higher signup bonus of 10K to that of CSR; that is $10K on dining/travel on CSR to match what you would have gotten from CSP.

The difference in annual fee is $55 (CSR effective AF $450-300 is $150 subtract CSP $95). Would you be making up that difference in CSR's benefits/earning?

Do the math and see what make sense for the first year. You can always product change to CSR after the first year (and keep it long term)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.