Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Denver to Anchorage and Kodiak: UR Points Usage Help Request

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denver to Anchorage and Kodiak: UR Points Usage Help Request

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Talking Denver to Anchorage and Kodiak: UR Points Usage Help Request

Hello! I am trying to navigate this wild and crazy world of points and I would be grateful for any guidance you can provide.

I have 300,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) points and I am trying to plan a trip for around 7 days within the first 2 weeks of August. The itinerary would be DEN-ANC stay there for about 3 days and then head to Kodiak for about 3 days, then back to ANC to head straight to DEN. Using the Chase Ultimate Rewards website, I've found a nonstop on United Airlines for $459.20 or 30,613 PTS roundtrip for 8/7/19 to 8/14/19. Kodiak did not show up on the list of available destinations using the website.

Is that a good deal or should I be going about this in some other way (such as transferring the UR points to an airline)?

I realize that questions of this relatively helpless variety must come up all of the time and I appreciate you reading this even if you do not respond. Thank you!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:50 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
hpspec, welcome to FlyerTalk!

I believe that your concerns about using the Chase UR program would get more focused replies if moved to the dedicated forum on Chase UR. I'll move it there.

Once you get your air travel arranged, feel welcome to return to the Alaska forum in order to discuss any questions about touring this beautiful destination. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Welcome to FT!

I just looked on the Chase UR site and flts from ANC to Kodiak (ADQ) do show up there. Just book it as a separate itinerary. Have a look.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hpspec
Hello! I am trying to navigate this wild and crazy world of points and I would be grateful for any guidance you can provide.

I have 300,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) points and I am trying to plan a trip for around 7 days within the first 2 weeks of August. The itinerary would be DEN-ANC stay there for about 3 days and then head to Kodiak for about 3 days, then back to ANC to head straight to DEN. Using the Chase Ultimate Rewards website, I've found a nonstop on United Airlines for $459.20 or 30,613 PTS roundtrip for 8/7/19 to 8/14/19. Kodiak did not show up on the list of available destinations using the website.

Is that a good deal or should I be going about this in some other way (such as transferring the UR points to an airline)?

I realize that questions of this relatively helpless variety must come up all of the time and I appreciate you reading this even if you do not respond. Thank you!
You'd want to compare the cost of using the Chase UR portal to book your flight vs. the cost in miles that the airlines would charge for the same flight. If the UR portal is less, use that. If the airline cost is lower, you'd transfer UR points to that airline, which would be converted into airline miles upon transfer.

In your case, using the UA website and your dates, UA wants 17,500 miles for the outbound trip and 32,000 miles for the return trip for a total of 49,500 miles. Since the UR portal only costs you 30,613 UR points (instead of the 49,500 you'd have to transfer to UA), the portal appears to be the better choice in this instance.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Can also consider booking Alaska Airlines with BA Avios transferred from Chase, particularly for the segments to and from Kodiak. You’d need to check award availability on the Alaska site, then transfer the points and book over the phone with BA. I’m not expert on that process but I have found miles to be an attractive alternative to cash prices on a couple of trips to smaller destinations in Alaska.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Ocn Vw 1K - thank you for your guidance on using the Forums properly!

philemer - thank you for helping me realize the correct code for Kodiak!

Diplomatico - thank you for showing me your thought process on how to compare!

WrightHI - thank you for the tip on investigating using British Airways Avios!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.