Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] Chase To Add Dining/Delivery Credit To Chase Sapphire Reserve

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hope this rumor do not come true.

It will jack up the AF for a dubious "benefit" that many cardmembers cannot / do not use due to geographic locations and health concern, just to name the most obvious.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...phire-reserve/
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Hope this rumor do not come true.

It will jack up the AF for a dubious "benefit" that many cardmembers cannot / do not use due to geographic locations and health concern, just to name the most obvious.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...phire-reserve/
Perhaps this will be a benefit that is paid by the merchant whereby an increase of the AF is not required (I know that didn't stop Amex from raising their fees but..). I can see this being limited to certain dining establishments that have agreed to take part in the credit (i.e. Five Guys, Starbucks, etc.) rather than doing it through the Chase offers section.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
If I wanted a card with a higher annual fee and bunch of dumb benefits requiring a lot of effort to "break even" on, I'd get the AMEX Platinum
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Super Mario
If I wanted a card with a higher annual fee and bunch of dumb benefits requiring a lot of effort to "break even" on, I'd get the AMEX Platinum
Yup. CSR continues to be a "me too" product.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Exactly.

The good part of the CSR is the $300 Travel Credit is extremely easy to use. Then the rest of $150 is not hard to breakeven provided your trips can use some PP restaurants (and lounges overseas)

This dining / food delivery "benefit" is very silly, and if the AF is raised to cover such "benefit" it is just yet another stealthy devaluation (like not give UR earning on the $300 that offset by the Travel Credit).
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:30 pm

This benefit, as recently implemented on Platinum and Gold, is trash. A lot of unappetizing choices: poor quality take-out food, find your way to the nearest Shake Shack every month, have to manually change the Uber payment method from your saved credit card to Uber cash whenever you want to use the Uber credit, Uber recently decreased their oft-discounted delivery fee and added a service fee that is never discounted... the problems and annoyances are endless.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
What if the dining credit is actually something that comes out of the existing $300 credit? It wouldn't require an AF increase and would be more flexible in that you could spend the $300 on a single GrubHub (for example) transaction if you wanted. The downside, of course, is that we'd likely get 0 UR just like with travel purchases.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by tmiw
What if the dining credit is actually something that comes out of the existing $300 credit? It wouldn't require an AF increase and would be more flexible in that you could spend the $300 on a single GrubHub (for example) transaction if you wanted. The downside, of course, is that we'd likely get 0 UR just like with travel purchases.
The travel credit is easy enough to use now as is. I'm betting the majority of the people use it within 1 month, maybe 2 max. But sure as long as there is not an AF increase, it wouldn't bother me. But I can tell you it's something I would not even consider using.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The downside is many people either dont have GrubHub in their locales or they have no intention / no need to use such service as versus the travel credit for the majority of cardholders probably would use it up in the first couple months of the eligible cycle.

In short, the downside is not no earning on the spend, but it is a fairly useless benefits for a lot of people.

As long as the AF does not go up it would nut hurt those who dont use or unable to use, such silly benefit.

Unfortunately something has to give, as evidenced by the elimination of the earning on the travel spend that receives the $300 credit.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
As long as the AF does not go up it would nut hurt those who dont use or unable to use, such silly benefit.

Unfortunately something has to give, as evidenced by the elimination of the earning on the travel spend that receives the $300 credit.
That and the guest restriction for Priority Pass are the only nerfing that I've noticed with CSR since it first became available. I would have expected further cuts or an AF increase by now if the card was losing money for Chase.

Anyway, having the dining credit come out of the same bucket as the travel credit would still let them claim that theirs is better than the Platinum's due to the supposed flexibility alone (even if not many more people can use it, and even if Chase does feel that they need to increase the AF).
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
What if the dining credit is actually something that comes out of the existing $300 credit?
If they did this, they should really just open the qualifying purchases to include dining in addition to travel, rather than add restrictions to only cover GrubHub or similar. Of course, after typing that, I realize that will never happen because it doesn't provide enough additional opportunities for breakage.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roundtree
If they did this, they should really just open the qualifying purchases to include dining in addition to travel, rather than add restrictions to only cover GrubHub or similar. Of course, after typing that, I realize that will never happen because it doesn't provide enough additional opportunities for breakage.
That is the key - unlike the travel credit which for sure anyone owns this card would claim it 0therwise WHY own this card?! But the highly restrictive dining credit would definitely have a very high percentage of breakage versus almost 0 breakage on the travel credit.

So if they make the dining coming out of the travel bucket, reduce the travel down to $200 and dining at $100 - bingo! $100 of the benefit probably would be claimed far far less than the original $300 travel credit - that is how the breakage would work wonder, to the bank.
roundtree likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.