Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice on how to use Chase UR miles for Italy trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on how to use Chase UR miles for Italy trip?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Question Advice on how to use Chase UR miles for Italy trip?

Please, a little help on where to post this?

I am very new to the travel miles/credit card points for travel game and could use some advice on an upcoming trip. Next year (2019) is my 15 year wedding anniversary and we have decided to go to Italy for a few weeks taking our 9 year old daughter. We are originating from Orlando, FL. I was looking at trying to fly into Venice on June 4 (overnight arrive June 5) and leave from Rome on June 24. We have booked a cruise already that leaves out of Rome on June 16 and returns on June 23rd. So, the dates are flexible by a few days later, but not earlier.

I signed up for a couple Chase cards recently and by next month will have about 120k Ultimate Rewards points. One of the cards is the Sapphire Reserve, so I can redeem at 1.5 cents per point on their travel portal. I'm fine with economy for the connecting flights, but would really like to see if I can get some sleep on the longer portion to be more rested when I arrive in Italy. To that end, I am wondering what my options are for getting a business class lay flat seat for the long portion of the flight across the Atlantic. I know I don't have enough miles to book 3 business class tickets. Is it possible to book the tickets in Economy and use miles to upgrade the one leg to business for all 3 tickets? Or am I forced to upgrade the whole round trip ticket? Or is it possible to book economy tickets with miles and pay to upgrade the one leg to business? If I call an airline booking agent, can they mix and match the cabins like this for a cheaper price/miles? Which airlines should I even be looking at? I know my Chase UR points can transfer to some airlines and then those can be used on partner airlines. I have been tumbling down the rabbit hole researching that the last few days and I feel more confused than when I started.

TLDR - I need 3 tickets (2 adult, 1 child) in June 2019 from Orlando to Venice, returning Rome to Orlando. I have approx. 120k Chase Ultimate Rewards points. I would like to have business class (lay flat seats) for the leg across the Atlantic from the US to Europe; all other legs, including the transatlantic return leg, can be economy or premium economy. What are my options to use miles or miles+money to make this happen for the cheapest price?

Thanks for the help and advice.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT, GatorArchitect!

I hope I don't rain on your parade too much, but it is important that you manage your expectations. Three award seats in business class to Europe (Italy especially) on fixed dates is going to be a real challenge. Not many award seats are released, lots of people will want them, and you have set dates in mind. To add to that, getting these on points alone isn't going to work for you. UA will wish to relieve you of 120,000 miles for each return business class seat to Europe. To upgrade from an economy fare, you'll need all of your miles for the three return tickets, but you'll also have to pay something in the region of $3,000 in 'co-pay'. So even if you find flights to get you somewhere else in Europe with more capacity (London, Paris, Frankfurt), you'll have to consider this. Some things to consider include buying premium economy seats, being more flexible with dates, flying in to a different airport, etc.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
London Elite is right.
3 award tickets, aiming for a premium class, during peak time to a prime destination is a hard ask. Not impossible but also not easy so one has to be realistic, Upgradable fares often require certain higher fare groups for it even to be plausible and then with certain programs there has to be a type of award space open for the upgrade to be possible.You run the risk of spending more and not getting the upgrade. And there can be upgrade copays that run you even more money.
You may do better just paying for a premium economy ticket and using points to offset the costs. Just make sure it's an actual PE product and not just an extra legroom situation.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I figured it would be a tough ask. I just wanted to know if it is possible to leverage the miles to upgrade only a single leg of the journey to business class. If not, then I guess my best bet is to just use the miles in the chase travel portal at the 1.5 cent rate and try to bring the cost down as much as I can. I know I will be paying money and potentially a lot of money, just trying to figure out the best way to achieve getting business for the one leg for the cheapest way possible and if the points are any help in achieving that. One thing I have learned is that in the future I will not be trying to book International trips during the summer.

Taking the miles part out of the equation, if I work with an agent from the airline or with a Chase travel agent instead of trying to book online, can they book mixed cabin for the flight (i.e. economy for most, but business class for one leg)?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It is possible to do single leg upgrades with some programs but depends who you redeem with and the flight is on. Each program is different.

Some airlines have booking searches that allow for mix class bookings and redemptions, UA being one example, while some require call ins and others don't make it easy.

Originally Posted by GatorArchitect
Thanks for the feedback. I figured it would be a tough ask. I just wanted to know if it is possible to leverage the miles to upgrade only a single leg of the journey to business class. If not, then I guess my best bet is to just use the miles in the chase travel portal at the 1.5 cent rate and try to bring the cost down as much as I can. I know I will be paying money and potentially a lot of money, just trying to figure out the best way to achieve getting business for the one leg for the cheapest way possible and if the points are any help in achieving that. One thing I have learned is that in the future I will not be trying to book International trips during the summer.

Taking the miles part out of the equation, if I work with an agent from the airline or with a Chase travel agent instead of trying to book online, can they book mixed cabin for the flight (i.e. economy for most, but business class for one leg)?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @GatorArchitect.

As you're trying to leverage your Chase UR points, we'll relocate this query to our Chase UR forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by GatorArchitect
Please, a little help on where to post this?

I am very new to the travel miles/credit card points for travel game and could use some advice on an upcoming trip. Next year (2019) is my 15 year wedding anniversary and we have decided to go to Italy for a few weeks taking our 9 year old daughter. We are originating from Orlando, FL. I was looking at trying to fly into Venice on June 4 (overnight arrive June 5) and leave from Rome on June 24. We have booked a cruise already that leaves out of Rome on June 16 and returns on June 23rd. So, the dates are flexible by a few days later, but not earlier.

I signed up for a couple Chase cards recently and by next month will have about 120k Ultimate Rewards points. One of the cards is the Sapphire Reserve, so I can redeem at 1.5 cents per point on their travel portal. I'm fine with economy for the connecting flights, but would really like to see if I can get some sleep on the longer portion to be more rested when I arrive in Italy. To that end, I am wondering what my options are for getting a business class lay flat seat for the long portion of the flight across the Atlantic. I know I don't have enough miles to book 3 business class tickets. Is it possible to book the tickets in Economy and use miles to upgrade the one leg to business for all 3 tickets? Or am I forced to upgrade the whole round trip ticket? Or is it possible to book economy tickets with miles and pay to upgrade the one leg to business? If I call an airline booking agent, can they mix and match the cabins like this for a cheaper price/miles? Which airlines should I even be looking at? I know my Chase UR points can transfer to some airlines and then those can be used on partner airlines. I have been tumbling down the rabbit hole researching that the last few days and I feel more confused than when I started.

TLDR - I need 3 tickets (2 adult, 1 child) in June 2019 from Orlando to Venice, returning Rome to Orlando. I have approx. 120k Chase Ultimate Rewards points. I would like to have business class (lay flat seats) for the leg across the Atlantic from the US to Europe; all other legs, including the transatlantic return leg, can be economy or premium economy. What are my options to use miles or miles+money to make this happen for the cheapest price?

Thanks for the help and advice.
Right now I see availability for 3 economy seats on Air Canada (booking through United) for 30K miles each on June 25 from Rome to MCO (stop in Montreal). Taxes are about $65 p/ticket. I agree with other posters that business class is a tough proposition and you would need more UR points/miles to get what you want, but using 90K UR points (transfer to United for the miles which is instant in most cases) and <$195 for your 3 return seats is a pretty good redemption. Good luck.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Right now I see availability for 3 economy seats on Air Canada (booking through United) for 30K miles each on June 25 from Rome to MCO (stop in Montreal). Taxes are about $65 p/ticket. I agree with other posters that business class is a tough proposition and you would need more UR points/miles to get what you want, but using 90K UR points (transfer to United for the miles which is instant in most cases) and <$195 for your 3 return seats is a pretty good redemption. Good luck.
90k miles for 3 return tickets to Europe? That doesn't sound right.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
You might have better luck booking positioning flights in the US and EU and using your points to fly Iberia out of JFK or BOS. That would put you into Madrid, but the transatlantic flight would be in BC. The real down side to this (whether Iberia or not) is that your times are during peak season, so even if you find availability, there's a good chance that you won't have enough points.

This is how my wife and I when to Italy in April, just before the start of peak season, and it was really easy (and relatively cheap) to start in Venice and end in Rome from Madrid. Hopefully, you find a path forward, because Italy is magical. As Phil Rosethal says, Italy wins.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
One-way in Y perhaps?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:32 am

Use your points for hotels or car rental. There is excellent value in transferring Chase points to Hyatt. For the flights just make a decision whether the added cost of premium economy or business class is worth it to you. If you decide it isn’t, plan your flights for convenience. If you can arrive very early in the morning, find a hotel close to your arrival and book for the night before. Check in and sleep till noon. Don’t sleep too long or you will just extend your jet lag.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:50 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Perhaps it's a typo that should read "each way?" 30K each direction per person, right?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
Use your points for hotels or car rental. There is excellent value in transferring Chase points to Hyatt. For the flights just make a decision whether the added cost of premium economy or business class is worth it to you. If you decide it isn’t, plan your flights for convenience. If you can arrive very early in the morning, find a hotel close to your arrival and book for the night before. Check in and sleep till noon. Don’t sleep too long or you will just extend your jet lag.
I hadn't really thought too much about the hotel side of things. I was waiting until I got flights booked before looking at hotels. You bring up a good thought though. I need to compare how much I could get with a hotel redemption vs flight redemption.

Anyone have good recommendations for hotels in Venice, Florence or Rome that I would be able to use Chase UR points on (IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, others)? Any personal experiences? Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:51 am

Points transferred to Hyatt are much more valuable than points on IHG or Marriott. However if you have CSR your points are worth 1.5 and you can use the portal to book many hotels through Expedia.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

You can currently get 3 coach award tickets from MCO to VCE on June 4 through United at 30K points each. 1 UR can be transferred to UA to get 1 UA point. Several of the options are unappealing schedules, but there is a Swiss 3 flight option that looks decent. There's also a decent option with Austrian Airlines. This would consume 90K of your UR points and save roughly $1800 in airfare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.