Search

Yikes, Hope I'm not next!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:36 pm
mav
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Yikes, Hope I'm not next!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/credit-card-super-users-searching-150319333.html
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
This worries me too, but I figure my strategy is still low enough to stay under Chase's radar. In a couple of weeks I plan on applying for the Chase southwest card to fund a trip to Las Vegas next spring, then later this fall I plan on going for a hotel card, either IHG or Hyatt to fund some travel next summer, then lay low next year, then apply for maybe one or two more at the end of the year. Will only use the cards for standard purchases until the signup bonus is hit, no MS, no Gift cards, nothing out of the ordinary.

I figure even if I churn and collect signup bonuses, as long as its only 1 or 2 cards a year I doubt Chase will pay attention to me.

You only need to worry if you are the type that once you are under 5/24 you open another chase card or two to get back to the limit, then hit up other banks all in a short amount of time, buy loads of gift cards at office supply stores, only use the card for bonus categories, etc.

From reading the shutdown thread it seems the majority of shutdowns occur due to either opening many cards in a short period of time or manufactured spend. Even moderate MS is seeming to get people on Chase's radar now.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Points Guy, a community for more mainstream credit-card users
hahahaha
roundtree, beltway and Marschel like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
This worries me too, but I figure my strategy is still low enough to stay under Chase's radar. In a couple of weeks I plan on applying for the Chase southwest card to fund a trip to Las Vegas next spring, then later this fall I plan on going for a hotel card, either IHG or Hyatt to fund some travel next summer, then lay low next year, then apply for maybe one or two more at the end of the year. Will only use the cards for standard purchases until the signup bonus is hit, no MS, no Gift cards, nothing out of the ordinary.

I figure even if I churn and collect signup bonuses, as long as its only 1 or 2 cards a year I doubt Chase will pay attention to me.

You only need to worry if you are the type that once you are under 5/24 you open another chase card or two to get back to the limit, then hit up other banks all in a short amount of time, buy loads of gift cards at office supply stores, only use the card for bonus categories, etc.

From reading the shutdown thread it seems the majority of shutdowns occur due to either opening many cards in a short period of time or manufactured spend. Even moderate MS is seeming to get people on Chase's radar now.
Why not get 2 Southwest cards in a few months, time the bonus right and have Companion pass for nearly 2 years ? If you fly domestic with another person it's far an away the best bang for 2 Chase cards.

The Yahoo user comments show how clueless people are to how this game works

This article is not news, we already knew all this. My wife and I switch on and off getting cards for 2 years while the other one is idle. Our new strategy is from once we hit 5/24 at Chase that's it....no more trying to sneak in Chase cards that don't fall under 5/24. We then move on to other banks and get back to Chase years later

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 28, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I saw that article this morning, too, and then came here to see the discussion. Major media routinely misunderstands specialized forums like those cited. Those of us in these forums are like the 1%. We hit credit card offers harder than the other 99% of credit card consumers. Furthermore, the people experiencing shutdowns are like the 1% of the 1%, a very narrow subset. The media presents these stories as if the average consumer is at risk because they want to gain clicks from the average person, while in reality it's only those at the extreme end of the spectrum who are being affected.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:19 pm

It basically comes down to if you are profitable for the bank or not. If not, then they will crack down
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:21 pm

opened up 4 chase cards since May. 2 being in Aug. I just transferred all UR points to wife's account.
If they close account, do they claw back points?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by theplayer
opened up 4 chase cards since May. 2 being in Aug. I just transferred all UR points to wife's account.
If they close account, do they claw back points?
Nope. If you earned the points, they don't claw back. Unless you were doing something like buying and returning stuff repeatedly.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:15 am

For those who haven't transferred their points, may be good to do so on an ongoing basis just in case they close an account

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.