Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
I understand completely. He's basically saying people will have nothing to lose by burning that bridge.
It goes both ways. Chase has nothing to lose by closing those people's accounts.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I'm not quite sure I follow your logic exactly. MS is getting people banned from using Chase products.
if it's 48 months between bonuses ( on all chase cards) the game is more /less over so who cares if Chase bans you ?

That ( MS) would be a ways down the road for us as even though we have churned hundreds of cards over the years neither my wife, myself or my dad ( who I get cards for but doesn't travel so I use the points) has ever had a Chase Sapphire card of any kind, Freedom, BA, Ritz probably others as well.

We have all had an open IHG , Haytt and Marriott for years ( which could be cancelled, reapply, bonus, etc ) that we keep for the free nights.

Unless Chase decides to use Citi's language of "open or closed" there are a bunch of Chase cards we can still get even with 48 month language

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 28, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I phoned Chase this morning as I was planning to switch my CSP to Freedom, wait a week, and apply for the CSR card. Here's what the phone lady (who seemed sharp) told me.

• The new rule for 48 months between cards actually goes into effect in September, but she didn't know exactly when in September.
• The 48 months is from the date the cardholder was credited with the previous bonus, not from the previous card opening date.
• The new rule for changing over from CSP to CSR is: switch CSP to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited (to keep Ultimate Rewards points) and then wait "2 full billing cycles or 46 days for the previous card to completely close out [huh?] to apply for the CSR card."
• Cardholder must have had a minimum of $10K credit on the CSP to be eligible to apply for the CSR.

These changes are disastrous for me, now I cannot apply for the CSR until July of next year. I have large expenses coming up in October and November (that I would've put on the new CSR card) plus a 5-weeks trip to Europe with many train tickets and 30+ days of hotel stays in May of 2019. Basically, the Chase "new rules" will cost me a roundtrip business class ticket for my next long trip in the near future, it will now take me additional years to earn enough points.
Do you already have the CIP card? If not, you can apply for that instead, get a nice bonus, and get covered for all your travel expenses. If you have not yet product changed your CSP, you can hang on to it a bit longer and use that for dining ...not 3% like the CSR, but not bad...or you could just do all your meals at the hotel and use the CIP
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:46 am

Well, I was just getting into UR and it already looks dead. Applied for a CSP for the first time (any Sapphire or UR card for that matter) days ago. Plan being to add other items of the combo once in say 6 months (Freedoms, etc..) and apply for the CSR 2 years hence. Would have built up a UR base and got a feeling for the system before graduating to the "premium". I take this route as I am also in MR & TYP and don't think the balance is stacked in favor of UR unlike many others. A pittance for many of you folk, but all right by me. I was never going to cancel and churn the UR cards - I was only going to grab each bonus once (CSP and CSR), and be a regular user hence if I liked the system. This is how I operate with the other systems that I like. Co-brands are a different matter - there I churn, although far less aggressively than most. I was looking forward to joining Sapphire banking and staying if a bonus were to appear, and if the investing platform were any good.

With a 4 year wait, getting to the UR end-game has now become a case of "life's too short for this". I now regret applying for the CSP last week. This may in fact push me to stay a regular and loyal user (who never does or has done any MS) of MR and TYP, with the Prestige being the next goal as a keeper card until such time as it loses its lustre. If only Citi offered a nice discount online brokerage, I would totally forget about Sapphire and treat Chase exclusively as a churn/MS source.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
Does anybody else think this could foreshadow another large CSR intro bonus? Considering the large upfront profitability from new sign ups...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
I understand completely. He's basically saying people will have nothing to lose by burning that bridge.
Originally Posted by flyer4512
if it's 48 months between bonuses ( on all chase cards) the game is more /less over so who cares if Chase bans you ?

That ( MS) would be a ways down the road for us as even though we have churned hundreds of cards over the years neither my wife, myself or my dad ( who I get cards for but doesn't travel so I use the points) has ever had a Chase Sapphire card of any kind, Freedom, BA, Ritz probably others as well.

We have all had an open IHG , Haytt and Marriott for years ( which could be cancelled, reapply, bonus, etc ) that we keep for the free nights.

Unless Chase decides to use Citi's language of "open or closed" there are a bunch of Chase cards we can still get even with 48 month language
I don't buy the "rules is going to make people do more bad things" logic. Maybe a handful of people, but nothing significant. Ever since the CSR launched, the churning community exploded. All ways to harvest points exploded. Then the talk of bans came in and people let up a little. Now they're going to MS because they have nothing to lose? If they are taking the time to MS, then apparently the returns/point system has some value to them. How much sense would it be to knowingly risk that because you can't recycle sign-up bonuses? Sounds to me like lines disgruntled people say, "Chase, this is going to kill your business!" They will continue to crack down on abusers.

Originally Posted by flyingsna
Does anybody else think this could foreshadow another large CSR intro bonus? Considering the large upfront profitability from new sign ups...
I can say with pretty good confidence that it will probably not return, at least not with the card's current form. They greatly underestimated the card's popularity, expense, etc. There is no incentive to put it back at 100k.

Now fast forward to a couple of years. If they somehow figure out a way to really boost the card's profitability, then that bonus could return, especially if sign-ups teeter off.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
This is very disappointing to hear. I just got the CIP 100k bonus and was planning to get another 50k for the CSR. I am was a few months away from being under the old 24 month rule to do this. Was planning to downgrade CSR to Freedom (for quarterly bonuses) and then re-apply for the CSR.

So this changes my strategy to stay under 5/24 to get this bonus again (UR points a my favorite but there is no way I am waiting another 24 months!). I think I am going to get the United Explorer card (for United award CPUs) before I stop holding back on applications to stay.under 5/24.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
Originally Posted by flyguy6
This is very disappointing to hear. I just got the CIP 100k bonus and was planning to get another 50k for the CSR. I am was a few months away from being under the old 24 month rule to do this. Was planning to downgrade CSR to Freedom (for quarterly bonuses) and then re-apply for the CSR.

So this changes my strategy to stay under 5/24 to get this bonus again (UR points a my favorite but there is no way I am waiting another 24 months!). I think I am going to get the United Explorer card (for United award CPUs) before I stop holding back on applications to stay.under 5/24.
I'm on the same boat-- I'm now considering CIP x2. With the 48 month rule, I'm feeling it's not quite worth waiting. Who knows if 2 years from now they'd change it again?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I don't buy the "rules is going to make people do more bad things" logic. Maybe a handful of people, but nothing significant. Ever since the CSR launched, the churning community exploded. All ways to harvest points exploded. Then the talk of bans came in and people let up a little. Now they're going to MS because they have nothing to lose? If they are taking the time to MS, then apparently the returns/point system has some value to them. How much sense would it be to knowingly risk that because you can't recycle sign-up bonuses? Sounds to me like lines disgruntled people say, "Chase, this is going to kill your business!" They will continue to crack down on abusers.
I have never done any MS because we don't need to and like that my points/miles are really free, we have about $60K in legit CC spend per year that I'm able to turn into millions of points/miles a year. If this game ended today we would be all set for close to a decade.

I'm glad I can sit here and earn big returns from my CSR, CF, and CIC while the whiners complain about unjustly being 5/24.
How are you earning all these points without churning or MSing ? I'm assuming "Big returns " means at lest 750K points/mile/UR a year ?

5/24 is easily beat with a husband and wife team when one goes card free for about 2 years, throw in my 3rd player ( my dad who does not travel but we use his points ) and 5/24 has basically no effect on us. In fact I stopped my wife at 4/24 ( with 2 Chase bus cards) as we have so many miles/points in stock there is absolutely no reason to push Chase..........she moved over to AA mailers

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 29, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have never done any MS because we don't need to and like that my points/miles are really free, we have about $60K in legit CC spend per year that I'm able to turn into millions of points/miles a year. If this game ended today we would be all set for close to a decade.
Not being snarky, genuine sentiment here when I say I'd love to know how you (who, like me, doesn't MS) do that? Unless it's by doing a boatload of apps a year - I am not interested in going that route right now, until I take care of certain things. Presently, I do 3 apps a year on average.

Last edited by mia; Aug 29, 2018 at 5:21 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Not being snarky, genuine sentiment here when I say I'd love to know how you (who, like me, doesn't MS) do that? Unless it's by doing a boatload of apps a year - I am not interested in going that route right now, until I take care of certain things. Presently, I do 3 apps a year on average.
You need to Churn cards if you want mega points without MS. There is a churn going now where you can get an American Airlines card almost every month ( 70k miles a pop) so if you did that card alone it would be over 800K American miles in one year.

My wife churns also and my dad ( who does not travel) lets me get cards in his name and use the points

We have been doing this for over a decade now and have millions of points/miles in stock and travel often, like 8 trips a year. Mostly beaches and Vegas
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator caution

Write about products, policies and practices -not- about other posters.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Now I want to utilize the last chance i got. my wife's card was applied on 29th August 2016, how do i count the exact date (24 months) to be eligible for the bonus using my referral
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
.... how do i count the exact date (24 months) to be eligible for the bonus using my referral
You need to calculate 24 months from the date the new account bonus posted to her account, not the date the card was opened.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by mia
You need to calculate 24 months from the date the new account bonus posted to her account, not the date the card was opened.
vow, that's not what i thought, thanks a ton.
going through the statement it shows up on 9/10-10/9 statement but doesn't exactly mention the date , so statement closing date is the one which i can apply after right?

Just realized she never applied for CSP, can she apply for one now? does CSR bonus have anything to do with CSP application bonus ?

Last edited by rocky_nnc; Aug 30, 2018 at 11:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.