Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Price Protection and Return Protection benefits - June 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

Doctor of Credit is reporting that Chase is eliminating the price protection and return protection benefits from all Chase issued cards. Apparently it was originally thought to just be United co-branded cards, but updates to content elsewhere indicate it will be all cards. Apparently effective June 1st, 2018.

Lame.

Neil
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Not sure why banks interpret this policy as these see fit. The card networks provide these perks. The card networks should toughen up a bit and restrict banks from doing stuff like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I thought that these pricing and return protections were two of the main benefits of getting a personal card versus a business card. If the personal cards no longer have these protections, what is the practical difference in protections between personal and business cards now? I know that if there is fraud on my business card, Chase has always protected me in the past.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:45 pm

I never put any big purchased on CSR anyway, but it's a bit disappointing that bots and automated services have put an end to what was a nice benefit.

This is why we can't have nice things.
mia and dw like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by Statman
I never put any big purchased on CSR anyway, but it's a bit disappointing that bots and automated services have put an end to what was a nice benefit.

This is why we can't have nice things.
AskSebby on YouTube mentioned that the benefits will be going away for all Chase cards with the exception of the CSR. I wonder if that is really the case.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
AskSebby on YouTube mentioned that the benefits will be going away for all Chase cards with the exception of the CSR. I wonder if that is really the case.
Per DoC price protection is going away for the CSR too.

While it sucks that benefits are being cut, I wonder how necessary PP really is in 2018 due to how easy it is to compare prices on stuff online.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw
Per DoC price protection is going away for the CSR too.

While it sucks that benefits are being cut, I wonder how necessary PP really is in 2018 due to how easy it is to compare prices on stuff online.
I don't use it on my CSR, but I use it on my United Club card all the time. It is a HUGE benefit. It allows me to purchase where and when I want and then price match to Amazon. I can buy a book at the local book store and price match it. I bought headphones at the airport because I needed them at that moment and then price matched to Amazon. If this benefit is dropped from the United Club Card, I'll probably cancel it and switch to a different card for unbonused spend.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I don't use it on my CSR, but I use it on my United Club card all the time. It is a HUGE benefit. It allows me to purchase where and when I want and then price match to Amazon. I can buy a book at the local book store and price match it. I bought headphones at the airport because I needed them at that moment and then price matched to Amazon. If this benefit is dropped from the United Club Card, I'll probably cancel it and switch to a different card for unbonused spend.
That description of how you use it, and many people (myself included) use it, is why it is going away. As cardholders have become more sophisticated and aggressive in its use, the cost of the program has likely increased by a large amount.

I just got a new United card. The benefit booklet that came with the card is dated 3/15/18, and states that it is for the United Mileage Plus Explorer Card Visa Signature and Visa Platinum. It states that the Price Protection benefit is discontinued as of 6/1/18, as is return protection. There are also changes to trip cancellation and trip interruption but there is not chart or explanation of the changes - one would have to compare the old to the new paragraph by paragraph to figure out the changes.

I looked and the Chase website only has an old version of the benefits brochure. I just scanned a copy and uploaded to Scribd, apologies for the edges I cut off with my clumsy cutting: https://www.scribd.com/document/3763...lorer-Benefits

Last edited by BigFlyer; Apr 13, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:50 pm

I guess Chase doesn't want my spend... I know Citi nerfed their price protection, but at least they still have it. I've used these benefits a few times a year, but nowhere near the maximum benefits.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It seems unlikely to me that Chase would eliminate this benefit in less than six weeks without some kind of formal notification. It seems like changes to T&C are usually given much further in advance.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:08 am

The Price Protection option on eclaimsline has been removed for my Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire Reserve cards. Anyone see it on eclaimsline when they put in their card info?

EDIT: It appears that the Price Protection option is back. Maybe a momentary glitch in the system yesterday.

Last edited by majorkirkus; Apr 29, 2018 at 7:39 am Reason: update
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
deleted

Last edited by Magic Pickles; Apr 29, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by majorkirkus
The Price Protection option on eclaimsline has been removed for my Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire Reserve cards. Anyone see it on eclaimsline when they put in their card info?
It still shows for me upon entering my Sapphire Reserve card number into eclaimsline. Perhaps there was a service hiccup earlier today?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by weaseltown
It still shows for me upon entering my Sapphire Reserve card number into eclaimsline. Perhaps there was a service hiccup earlier today?
I think you're right...because now it is show up for my cards (Freedom, Freedom U, CSR). Maybe their preparing their roll out of the elimination... Definitely gonna miss this benefit if the rumors are true.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:50 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I do not lose sleep because of those losses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.