Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Commute from LAX to MNL - Chase Ultimate Rewards - Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Hello All,

I'd like to fly from LAX to MNL, don't have a concrete date set yet.

I have a some Chase Ultimate Rewards points, and would like to fly business class or first.

I am wondering what are my best options. Is it worth it to fly first over business?

Thanks All

Last edited by bkim84; Nov 9, 2017 at 3:26 am
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
That's a pretty long commute! Are you really talking about multiple repeat trips or just one particular trip?

Have you looked at award seat availability with the applicable UR transfer partners? Most all options are searchable on the airline programs' respective websites which will tell you what is available and for how many miles.

Not all airlines have a first class cabin some just have business class. Whether it's worth it or not to look for first rather than business is subjective - some people feel it's worth it, some don't - of course it also depends on what has award seat availability. I'd recommend reading reviews of the products available and deciding for yourself - there are trip reports here on FT you can search and also lots of reviews of the major carriers you can find by googling.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Are your expectations to redeem an award ticket via an airline program? Use your Chase UR points as a direct cash redemptions to offset the cost of the ticket? Use the UR points to transfer to an airline program to try to get an upgrade?

First can be a great experience but also may not be worth the routing or travel time. The nonstop on PR is a 15+ hour flight and they do not have a first class product. On the 777 their J class is 2x3x2 in an angled lie flat seat. Reviews can be found via a google search. There are many options for 1 stop flights in J that are better but it may not be worth the extra flights especially if you have to fly on a regional product to & from MNL.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Welcome to the conversation!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Are your expectations to redeem an award ticket via an airline program? Use your Chase UR points as a direct cash redemptions to offset the cost of the ticket? Use the UR points to transfer to an airline program to try to get an upgrade?

First can be a great experience but also may not be worth the routing or travel time. The nonstop on PR is a 15+ hour flight and they do not have a first class product. On the 777 their J class is 2x3x2 in an angled lie flat seat. Reviews can be found via a google search. There are many options for 1 stop flights in J that are better but it may not be worth the extra flights especially if you have to fly on a regional product to & from MNL.
I would like to do whatever provides the best value and options. I think a full redemption or upgrade are the way to go for me.

Originally Posted by swag

Welcome to the conversation!
Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bkim84
I would like to do whatever provides the best value and options. I think a full redemption or upgrade are the way to go for me.
Best value has different meaning to different people.

Upgrades are never guaranteed.

For upgrades the general rule is you can only upgrade a flight marketed (flight number) and operated (metal) by the airline of your frequent flyer programme (no codeshares) with your airline ffp upgrade instrument (e.g. SWU, miles) or complementary with status (if applicable) or ff miles/cash co pay. All subject to the t&c's of your frequent flyer program and your paid ticket. Status can help a lot with upgrades. Low cost tickets are often not eligible for upgrades.

Cross airline upgrades are uncommon. If cross airline upgrades are offered they tend to require a very expensive base fare and have many t&c’s. Star Alliance has a limited cross alliance upgrade system, but requires an expensive base fare booking class.

Some airlines have a cash bidding upgrade system as operated by http://www.plusgrade.com/ or equal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.