Wiki Posts
Search

CSR card causes CC terminal reboot?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

CSR card causes CC terminal reboot?

Here's a new one for me.
So I went to a Japanese/Chinese restaurant for lunch today. I go to pay and the cashier says I can't use my CSR card (he said Sapphire) because it will cause his CC terminal to reboot. The CC terminal was a typical Ingenico IC2xx type machine. He wouldn't even swipe/insert it, instead insisting on a different form of payment. I ended up paying with another Chase card. All of my Chase cards have the same first 8 digits, so I can't see it being a bank issue.

Has anyone hit this before? Methinks he's full of shiitake and he just didn't want to pay the higher transaction fees. I'm tempted to go in there next time with my plastic CSR card and see what he does.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:52 pm

People lie.

What is the incentive to lie? Store owners learned that merchant fees are higher on some cards. When they see those cards they try to make you switch to a different lower fee card.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
First, I would file a report with Visa here: https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html

Second, whilst it is certainly possible that a specific card could have some technical issue with a certain terminal based on some permutation of incompatible settings (and I have had this happen before the odd time), it is very unlikely that it means every card of a certain product type from a certain issuer will always cause problems.

You should insist that this is your only credit card, and if (as they claim) it causes issues with their terminal when used electronically, you should insist that they either manually key in the card, or call for a voice authorisation, both of which will cost them more in fees anyways.
sechs likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TObject
People lie.

What is the incentive to lie? Store owners learned that merchant fees are higher on some cards. When they see those cards they try to make you switch to a different lower fee card.
In my experience, the businesses that care that much about fees discourage use of all cards by imposing minimum purchase amounts and/or surcharges. They don't try to talk you out of using a particular card in favor of another one.

My bet is that there was some sort of terminal issue at some point and the clerk/owner remembers that the customer used a Sapphire card, hence the refusal to run them. It likely wasn't the fact that the card was a Sapphire that caused the issue, but since employees/owners don't really know much about how the card system works, it's an easy enough conclusion to reach.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Said restaurant does indeed have a minimum for credit cards posted by the register. D582 is correct -- they could have easily hand-keyed the card if need be.

I'll definitely swing by there in the next two weeks with a plastic CSR and see what happens. If they still give me crap over the card, I'll follow up with Chase & Visa. I'm sure Chase wouldn't be happy to have me using a Citi card because a merchant refused theirs.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:14 pm

The ultimate shenanigans of the sort I experienced was when I came on an American Express discount offer, and at payment time was told that they do not accept American Express.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:52 pm

It drives me insane that my CSR won't work with the vending machines at my work but another VISA card will and even Amex work! I don't have another Chase card to try so I don't know if it's Chase cards, or just the CSR that doesn't work...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by acarney
It drives me insane that my CSR won't work with the vending machines at my work but another VISA card will and even Amex work! I don't have another Chase card to try so I don't know if it's Chase cards, or just the CSR that doesn't work...
Vending machine stripe readers have always been not so good in my experience. Apple Pay, on the other hand, works every time.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
sorry folks, just curious, how does the owner know that the CSR card carries higher merchant fees? Just because it's metal?

Also - i thought only AMEX was more expensive for the merchants, that's why some stores don't carry AMEX. do different types of visa cost differently to the merchant too?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
sorry folks, just curious, how does the owner know that the CSR card carries higher merchant fees? Just because it's metal?

Also - i thought only AMEX was more expensive for the merchants, that's why some stores don't carry AMEX. do different types of visa cost differently to the merchant too?
csr = always Visa infinite = higher category

PDF below is how much credit card companies get paid per swipe.
Not the same as how much stores pay per swipe, but you can see the interchange costs difference between Visa infinite and regular Visa/Visa signature, and these fee differences can flow down to the merchant

(stores may use basic square and pay the same 2.75% rate for every visa/amex card, or negotiate different rates with their provider)

(PDF of Visa interchange merchant fees)
https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downlo...5-April-18.pdf

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 12, 2017 at 5:47 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
If I swipe card the reverse way, or put some flimsy paper/receipt around mag swipe, it sometimes works
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:22 am

Two asian restaurants by me also have issues with the CSR... they'll take an Amex over the CSR they claim the card is "new" and their processor does not accept it. This was ~6+ months ago, seems BS to me...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by paperwastage

Not the same as how much stores pay per swipe, but you can see the interchange costs difference between Visa infinite and regular Visa/Visa signature, and these fee differences can flow down to the merchant

(stores may use basic square and pay the same 2.75% rate for every visa/amex card, or negotiate different rates with their provider)

this is very helpful + insane. for the same network, they get to charge such different fees? no wonder so many of the shops near me are 'cash only'.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage

I guess that is a potential issue in the US now (well, for US-issued cards). I didn't think different cards had different rates in the US, but then again, CSR is the first Visa Infinite in the US (or at least for Chase, right)?

I know in Canada a few years ago, there was an issue where some merchants refused Visa Infinite cards - again, some of the higher reward cards - because they had to pay higher merchant fees. I think in the end they were forced to accept them, as the Visa merchant agreements meant they couldn't pick and choose which Visa cards to accept - they could either accept Visa cards or they couldn't.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I guess that is a potential issue in the US now (well, for US-issued cards). I didn't think different cards had different rates in the US, but then again, CSR is the first Visa Infinite in the US (or at least for Chase, right)?
I believe CNB Crystal was the first Visa Infinite card in US around 2015 (though only available in certain states)

and Ritz Carlton was the first Visa Infinite card for Chase USA around 2016

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.