Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Got ink pref with 100k points. Trying to figure out best value.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Hey,

Been a cashback person for the longest time. Got this ink pref with 100k points. Now I am trying to figure out best way to use these points and if I should become someone who collects points instead.

I am in real estate so I have a ton of expensive in home improvement stores and my cash back card is 3% cash back unlimited in home improvement so I can instead to 1.5% in chase freedom but trying to figure out if it is really worth it when comparing to 3% cash back..

Question.. I used travel codex to see what different airlines charge for awards. As an example I used EWR-TLV business class. Singapore will charge 57.5k while united will charge 70k. Now Singapore doesn't fly EWR-TLV but united does. Both are star alliance. Then transferring points from cahse to Singapore then booking a business class EWR-TLV which will be via United will cost me 12.5k points less than if I did directly from united, right?

If this is possible and aren't any crazy caveats I need to be made aware of then another question:

Same route also shows on travelcodex that ANA will only charge 52k.. but I guess I cannot (doesn't work like that?) transfer to united my chase poitns then somehow transfer further to ANA to book that united flight for 52k, right?

Sorry for writing again but I am trying to understand again this alliance schematics...

If I transfer from chase, to united, then want to book a flight to Europe from USA using Turkish, which is with united at star, then do my award cost will be what united charges or what Turkish charges?

In other words, if turkish only charges 10k miles for nyc-dub (for example) while united charge 30k, then is it possible to transfer miles to united from chase then book that turkish flight for 10k from united or will that cost 30k?

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 30, 2017 at 1:57 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Whichever airline's miles you are redeeming will also determine how many miles you pay. If you're using United miles, you pay according to United's chart.

Generally, once you transfer the miles to an airline's program, they are stuck there. Chase may transfer points into many different airline programs, but once you have done so, the miles stay there. You can't transfer from Chase to United, and then United to ANA, for instance. You can use your United miles to book travel on ANA, but you will book through United at United's prices.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @bklgafly.

Please follow the redirect as we move your post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

I see.

Another question - according to travelcodex, Singapore airlines charges 57500 points for business class from nyc ot tlv. Obviously they don't fly this route... so is this not possible or does this mean that it will be booked with another airline from star alliance... ?

If it is then how do you find out which airline or flight will be possible? united is a partner but they fly both direct and connection which is very different price

Last edited by bklgafly; Oct 1, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
OP did you get a targeted offer for 100K?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bklgafly
... it will be booked with another airline from star alliance......
Correct. You can see which Star Alliance airlines fly a route using any travel website that sells airline tickets. If you want to fly nonstop between NYC and TLV see which airlines operate that route, and lookup their alliance affiliation. However, knowing that an airline flies a route tells you nothing about the availability of award seats on your specific dates.

Originally Posted by UA Fan
OP did you get a targeted offer for 100K?
To my knowledge those offers are in branch only:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...preferred.html

Last edited by mia; Oct 2, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.