Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Freedom/Unlimited vs CITI Costco Anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Freedom/Unlimited vs CITI Costco Anywhere?

Hi everyone,

As I am just getting started into taking advantage of Chase URs I currently have the Freedom & Unlimited cards. I also have the Citi Costco Anywhere card that was converted from AMEX.

Do any of you all have the Citi Anywhere card, use this over the Freedom products since Citi offers 4% on Gas, 3% Restaurants, 2% at Costco since it earns more back(when not in Freedom's 5x bonus category) or do you value the Chase URs over yearly cashback?

Granted if you use the Citi you can gain more cash back once per year but not have the ability to redeem for points. What are you're thoughts?

Last edited by philemer; Jul 5, 2017 at 11:35 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I prefer Chase over Citi.

Depending on your spending, using different cards may lead to difference in rewards earned. However:

1. UR provides more flexibility in choosing rewards and a chance to up-value UR without losing the original value.
2. Citi is known to devalue cards (It is only a matter of when Citi Costco Anywhere card is devalued).

FWIW - since inception, I never used my Citi Costco Anywhere card, not even for the membership fee.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:46 am

I have never used or applied for any Costco credit card. When they were with Amex, I used my Amex SPG. When they switched to Citi last year, I used Freedom during the quarters where they have the 5x bonus on wholesale club. This year I am using just Freedom Unlimited. I don't get gas at Costco because I can't get there really early or really late. So the line is like a mile long to wait and I don't think it is worth the time to save a few bucks. For restaurant, I have CSR. For Costco, the 1.5% UR is better because I could transfer them to CSR for airline or 1.5x for travel.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by itsmejson
Granted if you use the Citi you can gain more cash back once per year but not have the ability to redeem for points. What are you're thoughts?
Don't conflate % and X. You need to determine what value you can get per UR point and then use that to compare against the cash back %. If you can properly leverage UR points you can easily beat 2% if not more. If not then you probably shouldn't be messing with UR.

I can get better value with UR but I also have cards that do better than the Costco Anywhere Visa on all its bonus spend categories even though I don't shop much at Costco anymore. We used to shop there and my CAV was issued because I had the TrueEarnings card (which was backdated to 1998). Having to wait for the annual check and having to redeem it at Costco isn't worth the hassle to me. YMMV depending on your wallet and how much you shop at Cosctco.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:35 pm

I have the Citi Card from the Amex conversion and I do use it for gas almost everywhere. I did use Freedom when gas was 5X and I am currently switching back and forth between Citi and my Amex Plat which is giving my 4X for gas (at gas stations only, not at Costco).

Gas is all I use the Citi card for.

Originally Posted by itsmejson
Hi everyone,

As I am just getting started into taking advantage of Chase URs I currently have the Freedom & Unlimited cards. I also have the Citi Costco Anywhere card that was converted from AMEX.

Do any of you all have the Citi Anywhere card, use this over the Freedom products since Citi offers 4% on Gas, 3% Restaurants, 2% at Costco since it earns more back(when not in Freedom's 5x bonus category) or do you value the Chase URs over yearly cashback?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.