Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Chase (CSR) cap earnings in dining category?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA

I'm trying to determine the best card or cards for an upcoming purchase in excess of 10K. Has anyone had any experiences with points on large purchases coded as dining being awarded at 1X versus 3X?

I saw a blog post from last fall titled "Chase Restricts Dining Category on Sapphire Reserve" indicating large dining purchases raised eyebrows at UR. I searched "dining limit chase" on FT and could not find any relevant discussion.

I'd prefer not to have my account scrutinized over this one purchase as this is true spend (I don't MS), but the establishment where I will make this charge runs their sales through their restaurant. Consequently, I receive 3X on purchases that have absolutely nothing to do with dining.

I'm leaning toward putting $5K on the business AMEX, and splitting the remaining 9K on other cards.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:41 pm

Googling pointed me to this as the article you're citing? http://milestomemories.boardingarea....-restrictions/

Anyway I haven't seen anything about charge size getting stuff scrutinized, but I also haven't had nay dining expenses more than several hundred dollars. It'd be kind of a weird filter to set up given they also pay the bonus on travel, though if you've got a Business Plat it also seems like a good opportunity to rack up some MR points -- not sure why you want to split the payment unless you're meeting min spends.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Googling pointed me to this as the article you're citing? http://milestomemories.boardingarea....-restrictions/

Anyway I haven't seen anything about charge size getting stuff scrutinized, but I also haven't had nay dining expenses more than several hundred dollars. It'd be kind of a weird filter to set up given they also pay the bonus on travel, though if you've got a Business Plat it also seems like a good opportunity to rack up some MR points -- not sure why you want to split the payment unless you're meeting min spends.
Yes, that was the article.

Not worried about minimum spends. Just not sure about calling attention to the restaurant charge for non-restaurant charges.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I would hope it also depends on the restaurant. I've spent ~$6K on a single birthday dinner for twenty, and it's easy to spend one to two thousand for dinner for two at the right restaurant (French Laundry for instance). On the other hand a five K bill from a McDonald 's franchise would and should raise eyebrows most of the time.

Bob
Old May 15, 2017, 7:55 am

I spent ~4k at a strip club for a friends bday party, it coded as a restaurant lol and got 12k points. Can't hurt to call chase and let them know about the large purchase ahead of time.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I haven't had a >$10k charge but I had a $9k one. It worked (~28000 UR points, baby!)
Old May 17, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I used my JPMR for an $8k business dinner with no issues—got my 24k points without question. I've had well over 100k dining points already this year with nary a peep from Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.