Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for discussing the mechanics of points transfer: qualifying Chase cards, eligible partners, and typical speed of transfer. For advice on which partner to transfer to for a given travel goal, see Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to? and the master threads compiled there.
For the pre-2017 version of this thread, go here.

Q. Can I transfer UR points to airline/hotel programs?

A. Yes, but only from a UR account tied to one of the following premium (i.e., fee-based) Chase cards:
  • Sapphire Reserve
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • JP Morgan Reserve
  • JP Morgan Palladium (discontinued)
  • JP Morgan Select (discontinued)
  • INK Preferred
  • INK Plus (discontinued)
  • INK Bold (discontinued)

Holders of non-premium Chase UR cards,
  • Freedom
  • Freedom Unlimited
  • Freedom Flex
  • Sapphire (discontinued; different from Sapphire Preferred)
  • INK Cash
  • INK Classic (discontinued)
  • INK Unlimited
may not transfer directly to airline/hotel programs. However, if you hold both a premium and non-premium UR card, you may freely combine your UR points into the account of the premium card. (Similarly, if your spouse/domestic partner holds one of the premium cards, you can make an internal UR-to-UR transfer to his or her account. See below.) Even though Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and INK Cash are marketed as "cash back" cards they actually earn UR points.

Q. What airline or hotel programs can I transfer UR points into?

A. UR points may be transferred at no charge to these airline programs at a 1:1 exchange rate:

ONEWORLD
  • British Airways Executive Club (BA)
  • Iberia (IB)
SKYTEAM
  • Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) (AF)
  • Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (VS)
STAR ALLIANCE
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • United Airlines MileagePlus (UA)
  • Air Canada Aeroplan (AC)
    • Chase Aeroplan credit cardmembers get a 10% transfer bonus after transferring 50,000 or more Ultimate Rewards points in a single transaction from an eligible Chase credit card to their Aeroplan account. Maximum of 25,000 bonus points per calendar year. This offer was previously scheduled to end on 12/31/23, but has now been made permanent.
    • 20% bonus on transfers ended Jan. 15, 2024
INDEPENDENT
  • Aer Lingus (EI)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • JetBlue (B6) - 25% bonus on transfers ended on Jan. 10, 2024
  • Southwest Rapid Rewards (WN)
and to these hotel programs:
  • IHG Rewards Club - 60% bonus on transfers through March 1, 2024
  • Marriott Bonvoy
  • World of Hyatt

Transfers to Amtrak were previously available, but ended permanently on December 8, 2015. See Announcement regarding Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. In many cases, yes, although transfers to at least one partner (Marriott) may take several days. A summary:
  • AC: Variable. Generally posts instantly (as noted in this July 2023 post). On the other hand, a report from August 2021 indicated a delay of 72-96 hours and a June 2023 post reflects a delay of roughly 30 hours.
  • BA: usually Instant
  • SQ: "Most Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer point transfers process within 2 business days." Several reports suggest it takes 24-48 hours, although there appears to be a lot of variation.
    Post #128 reports 7 business days; post #214 reports a turnaround of 2hrs 15mins. NOV 2017 - 24 hours
  • WN: Normally Instant but see posts starting at #451 about delays
  • UA: Normally instant, but see this thread: UR to United transfer is not reliably instant
  • AF: Instant
  • VS: Instant.
  • Hyatt: Occurs within a minute or less (numerous reports)
  • IHG: One business day. Instant on 10/30/19. Instant on 9 March 2022.
  • Marriott: Transfers "will process by the next business day"; actual experience is approx. 2 business days
  • Ritz:

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Chase UR airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Ultimate Rewards rules explicitly permit transfers to a spouse or domestic partner's frequent traveler account, and prohibit all other transfers. On November 13, 2015, Chase announced the further complication (and perhaps additional restriction) that effective November 15, 2015, as a holder of a UR-earning business card "you can only transfer points to yourself or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account." For discussion of this policy statement and its impacts, see this thread.

Transferring UR points from one household member to another's FF account:
If, for instance, you'd like to transfer UR points from your spouse to your United Airlines account, here are the rules: To transfer directly from [her] UR account to your UA account you would have to be members of the same household -and- you would have to be an Authorized User on [her] Chase card account.

Points can only be transferred to yourself, or one additional household member who is listed as an authorized user on your card account. Once you transfer points to an authorized user, that person will be the only authorized user on your account eligible to receive point transfers.

Combining UR point accounts: To combine points from a UR account with your UR account you would have to be members of the same household. Here are the rules:

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q. I heard that Chase has closed accounts for unauthorized transfers. What's the story?

A. Those reports involve sharing (aka combining) points from one Ultimate Rewards account to another Ultimate Rewards account. Ultimate Rewards rules explicitly permit combining points with a spouse's or domestic partner's UR account, and prohibit all other internal sharing of UR points. See this thread:

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.

Credit card and rewards accounts may also be closed if Chase decides to close your personal or business bank accounts for any reason.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:33 am

transferring to marriott which seems to be the slowest in general, so no surprise

over 48 hours so far, nothing yet
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
I dont believe they ever have. They definitely haven't in the past year and a half. Would be awesome if they started though.
Now that Amex has devalued their BA transfers, however, the Chase BA transfer at 1:1 is effectively a bonus. (I think Amex did this because BA awards on domestic AA are much cheaper than other airlines.) Because of the better redemption price, BA miles are an exceptional value relative to other airlines, at least for domestic.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Because of the better redemption price, BA miles are an exceptional value relative to other airlines, at least for domestic.
That's true for short & medium (<1150 miles) direct flights, but not for any itinerary with a connection. The wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...awards-aa.html discusses the topic in detail.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway
That's true for short & medium (<1150 miles) direct flights, but not for any itinerary with a connection. The wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...awards-aa.html discusses the topic in detail.
Exactly, you're better off with Southwest or United for those other scenarios.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of a temporary problem transferring to Korean Air is in this separate thread. Please do not double post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ble-again.html
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by mia
Discussion of a temporary problem transferring to Korean Air is in this separate thread. Please do not double post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ble-again.html
I've added a link in the wiki.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:54 pm

Hey all

Can someone please share any recent datapoints?

Need to transfer a large sum to Hyatt to book awards but I'm afraid the points will get stuck for days. :/

Is the delay still an ongoing issue?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Hey all

Can someone please share any recent datapoints?

Need to transfer a large sum to Hyatt to book awards but I'm afraid the points will get stuck for days. :/

Is the delay still an ongoing issue?
I've transferred points over to Hyatt twice in the last 2 months and both were instantaneous. Zero issues.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:27 am

Transferred 300K points to Marriott two days ago and still no evidence of the transaction.

Transferred another 32K the following day and same story.

Now I'm ready to transfer another 110K but I'm thinking I should way for the previous two transactions to post before attempting a third.

Is two-days normal processing time?

I should note that I'm dumping these points from my CSR acct. which is relatively new. I just consolidated all points from older accts. I'm sure all is fine, but I'm getting a bit antsy due to the volume and would really just like to see these points reflected in my profile.

I've only ever transferred directly to UA and Hyatt before and both were instantaneous processes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE (01/28/17) - First 300K UR transfer posted as of this morning.
UPDATE (01/29/17) - Additional 32K UR transfer now reflected.

I did another 8K to Marriott the other day which is still pending.

Last edited by OliverB; Jan 31, 2017 at 12:04 am
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Can we get this wiki updated? The wiki uses the terminology transfers to a spouse or domestic partner's UR account, and prohibit all other transfers.

However Combine UR points from multiple card accounts quotes the terminology belonging to you or one member of your household, which is not the same as "spouse or domestic partner."

I am sitting here reading the "physical" printed UR rules sent to me by Chase, and for both combining points and transferring points, Chase uses the term "household member" not "spouse or domestic partner."

I just spent a fair amount of time trying to discern if my own moves were within the rules, since they are not to a spouse or domestic partner. It turns out my moves are within the rules, it is this wiki that is not accurate.

Originally Posted by worldspan
I had exactly the same problem a year ago trying to transfer points to British Airways. Finally pulled it off after a 6 week ordeal that centered around how my name appeared on a seldom used Chase savings account despite that my BA name and Chase UR name were identical. Ultimately you have to be prepared to persist, my situation likely having been 15 calls As my ultimate intention was to then move the points from BA to IB for tickets not involving fuel surcharges, well IB was even worse! More name compatability issues between BA and IB. Ultimately the whole ordeal between Chase/BA/IB took me 4 months to complete.
I've had the same problem, due to the fact that Chase always inserts my middle initial, even though I did not give my middle initial when opening any of the accounts. This then causes the accounts with the middle initial to be incompatible with the ones without it. No other bank I use has ever had this problem. Only Chase. Every single time.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator reminder

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Can we get this wiki updated?
This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Please make the edits. Stale information should sometimes be preserved for reference, strikethrough can be an effective way to do this, but in this instance I suggest that the Wikipost contain NO information about "combining" other than a link to other thread. That reduces the possibility that we will have conflicting information.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I transferred UR to Avios 14 hours ago and they still aren't in my account. When I call Chase to complain they just listed the status as "transaction processing."

Very annoying because was trying to book an close in Cathay award with the Avios and we have now reached the 6 day cutoff. I was willing to risk it because UR-->Avios has always been instantaneous in the past.

Now I'm screwed and am going to have orphaned Avios. Grrr.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
I transferred UR to Avios 14 hours ago and they still aren't in my account. When I call Chase to complain they just listed the status as "transaction processing."

Very annoying because was trying to book an close in Cathay award with the Avios and we have now reached the 6 day cutoff. I was willing to risk it because UR-->Avios has always been instantaneous in the past.

Now I'm screwed and am going to have orphaned Avios. Grrr.
That's strange, I did a transfer to BA early this morning and it was instant.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Chase UR
Chase to Alaska to Emirates

Hi,
I hope you guys are doing good, I have bee a long visitor of this website and from learning on this site, I have accumulated a total of 200,000 points on Chase UR.

I want to travel to Karachi from Houston and will like to fly business class in Emirates A380. I have been doing a lot of research to use Alaska points but I don't know what is the best way to transfer Chase UR to Alaska to be able to use for Emirates. I have wrote down the days, time and flight and now just need to figure out the way to properly transfer around 160,000 points.

Can you please help me out with it?

Also what do you think will be best way to go to karachi via emirates A-380 business class from Houston?

I will really appreciate the help.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Dextor143
Hi,
I hope you guys are doing good, I have bee a long visitor of this website and from learning on this site, I have accumulated a total of 200,000 points on Chase UR.

I want to travel to Karachi from Houston and will like to fly business class in Emirates A380. I have been doing a lot of research to use Alaska points but I don't know what is the best way to transfer Chase UR to Alaska to be able to use for Emirates. I have wrote down the days, time and flight and now just need to figure out the way to properly transfer around 160,000 points.

Can you please help me out with it?

Also what do you think will be best way to go to karachi via emirates A-380 business class from Houston?

I will really appreciate the help.
Karachi to Houston via Dubai on emirates is not on A380 I believe. Even Emirates doesn't fly A380 to Dallas now. Its all 777-300 which has angled seat in business so not worth it.
Also, you can't transfer Chase UR to Alaska to book Emirates. If you have UR points then United should be your best bet. You can book on Turkish airlines which I believe flies to Karachi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.