Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase's 5/24 rule and AMEX offer for Platinum Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

I was grounded by Chase due to 5/24 rule.

AMEX is sending me Platinum Card biz (75k) and regular (50k) with $5k spending limit - targeted offer.

Apparently there is a lot of benefit with travel. Taking up on this offer will delay my eligibility for Chase's card.

Is it worth it? I recently cashed some AMEX MR for hotel overseas (refundable) and for a Delta Flight.

Curious did I miss something? Any other thoughts? Saw Chase was offering 80k UR which I would have liked better but was not eligible.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:17 pm

Amex has offered as high as 75 to 100k for the Personal Platinum and also has a public 100k offer for the Biz Platinum. I'd hold out for a higher offer or apply for the Biz Platinum if I was you.

In terms of the benefits of the Platinum card, it's hands down the most rewarding benefits credit card out there. Free Hilton and SPG Gold status (Marriott now too since you can link accounts), Fine Hotels, and much more.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sciconf
I was grounded by Chase due to 5/24 rule.

AMEX is sending me Platinum Card biz (75k) and regular (50k) with $5k spending limit - targeted offer.

Apparently there is a lot of benefit with travel. Taking up on this offer will delay my eligibility for Chase's card.

Is it worth it? I recently cashed some AMEX MR for hotel overseas (refundable) and for a Delta Flight.

Curious did I miss something? Any other thoughts? Saw Chase was offering 80k UR which I would have liked better but was not eligible.
Wrong. Taking up a biz card offer from Amex will not delay your eligibility for Chase's card. (Taking up a personal card offer from any bank will delay your Chase eligibility.)

The reason: Chase evaluates your eligibility by counting cards on your credit report (that show an "opened on" date in the past 24 months). But Amex business cards do not show up on your credit report (unless you default), and thus are invisible to Chase! (Neither do BofA, Barclay, or Citi business cards show up on credit reports. And thus those are also OK to apply for if you're waiting for Chase eligibility.)

Chase counts actual opened cards, not pulls. The only aspect of Amex biz cards which shows up on your credit report is the pull, but that doesn't matter, that's not what Chase counts for 5/24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.