Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
How do I do the double dip?
I did it with Freedom and Freedom Unlimited in early Sept but I have read in numerous places they don’t allow this anymore and you risk getting your already open accounts shut down for risky activity.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:18 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Buy a time machine and go back to August. It's been dead since then.
But wait for time machines to be a category on your Chase Freedom card.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:05 am

I PC'd from the CSP to the CSR, haven't received the physical card yet but my profile is showing the CSR. It's also telling me that my current $300 travel credit is ongoing (and $0 used obviously) and that the new $300 credit starts at the end of Nov when my statement cuts. I assume I will not be able to get the card in the mail this week and immediately charge $300 in travel to it and then do the same when my statement cuts for a double dip later this month?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
...assume I will not be able to get the card in the mail this week and immediately charge $300 in travel to it and then do the same when my statement cuts for a double dip later this month?
You do not need the replacement card to make the spend. You already have a Reserve account.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Sapphire Reserve or not

I was considering the Sapphire Reserve card nearly two years ago inspired by the 100,000 points signup bonus. But giving up my co-branded airline cards wasn’t a lifestyle change I was ready for, and the thought of giving up priority boarding is still holding me back, although I don’t quite know why because we don’t often bring carry-on bags for the overhead bin. It’s probably because we have gotten used to the space around us when seating.

Now I’m revisiting the Reserve, having product-changed to the no annual fee Blue Amex Delta and MileUp Citi Aadvantage to preserve my credit history. Eyeing downgrading to the United MileagePlus and sticking with Alaska for the companion ticket along with moving Sapphire Preferred to the no annual fee Sapphire, it looks like a plan.

Other than remembering to transfer my UR points and looking for a target offer, am I missing anything? I prefer the Chase Reserve to the Amex Platinum because of Star Alliance. The lounges are more often than not unimportant, and somehow we continue to get TSA-PRE.

https://uponarriving.com/chase-sapph...ve-100k-bonus/

Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Airline co-branded cards are good to have if you travel regularly on an airline, but not enough to have status. If you value early boarding and checked bags, then the 95/yr can make sense. Even if you don't spend on it.

I value Star Alliance as well. That doesn't mean you need to have a card that transfers to United. American Express has Star Alliance partners like Aeroplan, Avianca, and ANA. Aeroplan is good for lower redemption cost but you're normally on the hook for taxes and fees. Avianca is great for selling their miles cheaply. You can buy enough miles during one of their sales for a first class award to Japan for ~1300 one way. ANA makes you book a round trip award but the price per leg is much cheaper than other programs.

Just get the card that fits your spend to get you the most points.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by vanillabean

Now I’m revisiting the Reserve, having product-changed to the no annual fee Blue Amex Delta and MileUp Citi Aadvantage to preserve my credit history. Eyeing downgrading to the United MileagePlus and sticking with Alaska for the companion ticket along with moving Sapphire Preferred to the no annual fee Sapphire, it looks like a plan.

Other than remembering to transfer my UR points and looking for a target offer, am I missing anything? I prefer the Chase Reserve to the Amex Platinum because of Star Alliance. The lounges are more often than not unimportant, and somehow we continue to get TSA-PRE.

https://uponarriving.com/chase-sapph...ve-100k-bonus/

The "one Sapphire rule" will prevent you from obtaining the CSR if you downgrade your CSP to the no annual fee Sapphire - downgrade it to the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.

Also, how long has it been since you received the bonus on your CSP? Chase requires 48 months to have elapsed since your prior Sapphire bonus before you're eligible for another.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The "one Sapphire rule" will prevent you from obtaining the CSR if you downgrade your CSP to the no annual fee Sapphire - downgrade it to the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.

Also, how long has it been since you received the bonus on your CSP? Chase requires 48 months to have elapsed since your prior Sapphire bonus before you're eligible for another.
Good point, I didn’t know that a no annual fee Sapphire adds to the count, even after having read this.

https://uponarriving.com/2018/02/14/...ire-preferred/

Product-changing to the Freedom is better choice for me in any event. Thank you.

I received my Sapphire Preferred signup bonus points this coming March four years ago.

Added:

“This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months.”

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/DualA

Originally Posted by mia
If you close your card account the points are lost. You need to redeem the points first -or- downgrade the Sapphire Preferred to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited account. This will preserve the points. Wait a week or two for Chase's system to fully recognize that you no longer have a Sapphire card, and then apply for Reserve.
I am beginning to realize just how narrow the path is.

Last edited by vanillabean; Nov 18, 2018 at 3:23 pm
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:59 pm
FTA

The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
For the bold part, is that any new chase bonus including co brand bonuses or only Sapphire bonuses? Thank you
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FTA
For the bold part, is that any new chase bonus including co brand bonuses or only Sapphire bonuses? Thank you
The latter.
FTA likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Why keep CSR?

My CSR annual fee is due in a few days. Big fan of the Ultimate Rewards program but I'm not seeing much value in holding the card. I currently have the Amex Gold and Platinum, which when combined I think is much stronger than the CSR. Besides for the superior travel insurance on the CSR, is there any benefits of the CSR I would really miss that aren't matched by combo of Amex Platinum and Gold? Thinking of product changing to the Freedom Unlimited. Or maybe the CSP? The CSR is my only UR card and my UR balance is about 2700 now.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
My CSR annual fee is due in a few days. Big fan of the Ultimate Rewards program but I'm not seeing much value in holding the card. I currently have the Amex Gold and Platinum, which when combined I think is much stronger than the CSR. Besides for the superior travel insurance on the CSR, is there any benefits of the CSR I would really miss that aren't matched by combo of Amex Platinum and Gold? Thinking of product changing to the Freedom Unlimited. Or maybe the CSP? The CSR is my only UR card and my UR balance is about 2700 now.
I also hold the Gold, Plat, CSR. I think for anyone who travels, the acceptance of Visa in some places, coupled with the fact that AMEX gets no category bonuses outside of the US, makes it pretty compelling. 3x on various travel like rideshares, hotels, AirBnB, public transit, parking, etc is something you won't get with AMEX, and at least for me personally there's a lot of money going into food spending while travelling and AMEX gets no bonus on that.

If anything, I think UR is actually now the weak point of the card. The transfer partner selection is pretty sad. I don't know how Chase has allowed Capital One of all companies to surpass them in variety of partners.

Also, until AMEX gets their act together with restaurant coding on the gold, CSR is useful to have.
RedSun likes this.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Dec 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
AMEX Plat, Gold, and BBP is the new trifecta, IMO. If you want an UR card, cancel the CSR and get a CIP. 80k sign up bonus and still 3x on travel. Yeah, you don't get 3x on dining internationally but - depending upon where you travel (like Asia) - a lot of the smaller places and street food places don't take credit cards anyway.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I also hold the Gold, Plat, CSR. I think for anyone who travels, the acceptance of Visa in some places, coupled with the fact that AMEX gets no category bonuses outside of the US, makes it pretty compelling. 3x on various travel like rideshares, hotels, AirBnB, public transit, parking, etc is something you won't get with AMEX, and at least for me personally there's a lot of money going into food spending while travelling and AMEX gets no bonus on that.
Plat gets 5x airfare booked directly with an airline, domestic or international.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:26 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by nexusCFX

If anything, I think UR is actually now the weak point of the card. The transfer partner selection is pretty sad. I don't know how Chase has allowed Capital One of all companies to surpass them in variety of partners.

Also, until AMEX gets their act together with restaurant coding on the gold, CSR is useful to have.
This is right on. CSR still has more coverage on travel that AmEx does not. As to CIP, it is a business card and not all people can get it, particularly with the Chase 5/24.

If you get only 27,000 URs, it may not make sense to you to keep the CSR. But for people who can accumulate 100,000+ UR per year, the 1.5x over 1.25x more than handsomely cover the extra AF. There was an in-dept discussion on this and someone said the AF difference is like $68. There are times airline or hotel have fare sales and it is not best to redeem the points. Then the Chase travel portal is handy to redeem at 1.5x rate.

Since I travel on Hyatt, the Chase UR is the best currency for me. I'd be happy to trade my AmEx MR, Citi TY and Hilton points for URs....
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've actually not been all that impressed with AmEx CS. Meanwhile, I've filed two disputes on my Chase cards thus far and have had no issues getting them quickly resolved in my favor, not to mention that I ultimately did get paid for a trip delay claim on my CSR (even if it took a while waiting for Delta to send me the proper explanation letter).

Of course, good CS in itself isn't enough justification but it helps a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.