Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Chase Freedom 5% categories gone by end of 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
Post 15 has a link to a Doctor of Credit (blog) post from a source at Chase which indicates nothing is changing in 2017.

Post 54 has a link to a Reddit page where the 2017 Q1 and 2017 Q2 categories are listed.

But as of early December, there is not yet any official word from Chase.

In past years, the next year's quarters were not announced until mid-December, so it's not necessarily indicative of anything much that the 2017 quarters have not yet been officially announced as of early December.
Print Wikipost

Rumor: Chase Freedom 5% categories gone by end of 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by beltway
The DW & I have (*scratches on back of envelope*) at least 25-30 cards, with each other as AU on almost all of them. Remarkably, we manage just fine with having anywhere from 4-6 cards in active use at a given time. That includes
  • cards with targeted offers
  • current card(s) with initial-spend bonuses to be earned
  • Freedom for quarterly category
  • standing category cards (such as CSP for office-supply stores)
Perhaps we have superhuman abilities--but it seems to me more likely that any reasonably competent person can handle this without breaking a sweat.

Whether someone wants to make that effort is another matter entirely....
We use a label maker-at the beginning of each quarter we label the cards(both Freedom and Discover) with the categories to use each for during that time period. Then we do the best we can to stick to it without fretting when the occasional mistake is made. Each of us carry an average of 5-7 cards,one for general use(CSP) , one Freedom,one Discover and the remainder are travel specific cards.

The rest of our cards stay at home for use online to reach spending thresholds.

Works for us-may not work for everyone
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:04 pm

I have 3 chase freedoms and only use them to max out the categories every quarter.

I hope it continues!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Need
I thought I read that it doesn't work because the MPX* Panera Bread charge won't count as "restaurant" charge? I think I tried Amazon gift card last year with Freedom thru MPX and it didn't count as Amazon so I gave up on that.
IME, it's very merchant specific perhaps it has changed recently with Panera but in the past couple of months, all of my MPX* Panera charges on the CSR have come through as dining

MPX*PANERA BREAD
Nov 20, 2016
Additional merchant and transaction information
800-421-4655, IL 606060000 US
Online, Mail, or Telephone transaction
Rewards earned with this transaction
+ 3 Points per $1 earned on dining 26.43 ($8.81x3)
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DW & I have (*scratches on back of envelope*) at least 25-30 cards, with each other as AU on almost all of them. Remarkably, we manage just fine with having anywhere from 4-6 cards in active use at a given time. That includes
  • cards with targeted offers
  • current card(s) with initial-spend bonuses to be earned
  • Freedom for quarterly category
  • standing category cards (such as CSP for office-supply stores)
Perhaps we have superhuman abilities--but it seems to me more likely that any reasonably competent person can handle this without breaking a sweat.

Whether someone wants to make that effort is another matter entirely....
I totally agree with what you said. It is the metal block that makes it "difficult".
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
I totally agree with what you said. It is the metal block that makes it "difficult".
What is the "metal" block you are referring to?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by jimrgraham
What is the "metal" block you are referring to?
Mental block or Metal block because the Metal on the smartphone is autocorrecting his typing!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Duke787
IME, it's very merchant specific perhaps it has changed recently with Panera but in the past couple of months, all of my MPX* Panera charges on the CSR have come through as dining

MPX*PANERA BREAD
Nov 20, 2016
Additional merchant and transaction information
800-421-4655, IL 606060000 US
Online, Mail, or Telephone transaction
Rewards earned with this transaction
+ 3 Points per $1 earned on dining 26.43 ($8.81x3)
I was using Panera with Discover, Citi Forward in the past, and it always coded as a restaurant via MPX.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The DW & I have (*scratches on back of envelope*) at least 25-30 cards, with each other as AU on almost all of them. Remarkably, we manage just fine with having anywhere from 4-6 cards in active use at a given time.
My wife and I have trimmed our accounts to fewer than 20 now. I carry just 2-3 cards in my wallet at any given time, though. I switch them around in light of specials and specific expenses. When I travel I carry an extra 4-5 cards in a separate organizer in my shoulder bag. That's for specific-use cards, like the Chase IHG MC, which is valuable when paying at an IHG hotel but poor for everything else.

As for the subject of this thread: if Chase Freedom drops the 5% categories we'll drop Freedom. We see no value having another 1% card.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA
This is the first time I am seeing this thread. Since chase hasn't put anything out yet, I went to /r/churning and found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...d0&sh=162e3b77

1Q - Gas Stations, Commuter Passes 2Q - Grocery Stores, Drug Stores
tl;dr Quarterly 5% categories are staying
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:49 pm

They're still advertising it on Chase.com with the 5% categories. They may have to honor it for a year after they take the last signups.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:52 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by daKav
This is the first time I am seeing this thread. Since chase hasn't put anything out yet, I went to /r/churning and found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...d0&sh=162e3b77

tl;dr Quarterly 5% categories are staying
Probably the lowest spending quarter for gas. They pulled this nonsense last winter too.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Probably the lowest spending quarter for gas. They pulled this nonsense last winter too.
Yes but I bought gas gift cards that lasted until June. It's nice having 2 cards.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Gas stations used to be one of my favorite quarters back when I could buy Vanilla Reloads and after those died, visa gift cards at the local gas stations, but it's basically all but dead here around now for buying VGCs with CC at gas stations.

I spend relatively little on gas so it's not a big organic spend opportunity.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Yes but I bought gas gift cards that lasted until June. It's nice having 2 cards.
Stupid question re: using gas gift cards at the pump, I've never used them before lol. I assume first you swipe the gas gift card at the pump like you would a credit card. The nozzle stops pumping gas when either your tank is full or the balance on the gas gift card hits zero, whichever comes first, right? Hoping the pump is smart enough to not exceed the balance on the gift card, hate having to walk into the mini mart to pay and deal with the attendant.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Gas stations used to be one of my favorite quarters back when I could buy Vanilla Reloads and after those died, visa gift cards at the local gas stations, but it's basically all but dead here around now for buying VGCs with CC at gas stations.

I spend relatively little on gas so it's not a big organic spend opportunity.
I guess you could calculate the amount of gas you need for the year and just stock up on gas gift cards. I spend approximately $1,500 on gas/year so I could max out on gas gift cards and I would be set for the entire year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.