Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by sarrisa
I'm wanting to get this card again in the next few days. I opened my first/only card in 6/2012. I just received my free night cert. but my annual fee hasn't come up yet. How should I approach this? I'm assuming I have to cancel this card before applying for a new one? I read you don't lose you free night if you cancel but I haven't paid the annual fee yet so do I need to wait for the annual fee to post and pay it before I cancel to keep the free night?

My free night posted 6/19/16. I already booked the free night but the AF has yet to post. You do not lose the free night even if ou cancel before th AF posts.

I cancelled my IHG card 6/30 via SM, I will keep an eye out to make sure the AF doesn't post to the cancelled card, it shouldn't but I will check to make sure.

Per the post a few above this on 6/20 it seems you can wait as little as 2 weeks to apply ( and be approved) again.

Originally Posted by vah4883
I closed my IHG card on 06/06 and today My IHG account showed offer of 80k+5k+$50 with $1000 spend. I applied again and was approved with $2k limit.
I plan on applying again in mid/late July, my only worry is that the IHG card becomes part of 5/24 before then.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 1, 2016 at 4:25 am
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not sure if this was targeted, but I don't believe so as they said there's no registration at all required:

Any minimum spend of $4,000 between July 1st and September 30th, 2016 yields 4000 bonus points. Not particularly generous in my opinion, and I doubt I'll make it, but thought I'd pass it along.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
My first statement period closed ~10 days ago and I haven't yet received the 70,000 points. I met the spend requirement a month ago. Who do I contact about the points?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by KAFlyer
My first statement period closed ~10 days ago and I haven't yet received the 70,000 points. I met the spend requirement a month ago. Who do I contact about the points?
Look at your statement.
  • If it shows 70K earned that aren't in your IHG account, contact IHG.
  • If it's not shown on your statement, contact Chase.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:45 pm

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...plus?CELL=659Y

was an offer that popped up for me on the ihg.com page.

80k points + $50 credit.

The interesting part of the offer is

Earn 80,000 Points After You Spend $1,000 in 3 Months: This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months. To qualify and receive your bonus, you must make Purchases totaling $1,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. ("Purchases" do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your account. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Chase may close your credit card account or suspend your right to use your credit card account, at any time for any reason, including account inactivity.
I signed up for this card 3 years ago or so which is when I got the points for the first time. I cancelled the card not too long ago, so I figured I should qualify for the points again. There were no cancellation requirements stated in the offer detail. I've actually regretted cancelling this card.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuom
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...plus?CELL=659Y

was an offer that popped up for me on the ihg.com page.

80k points + $50 credit.

The interesting part of the offer is

I signed up for this card 3 years ago or so which is when I got the points for the first time. I cancelled the card not too long ago, so I figured I should qualify for the points again. There were no cancellation requirements stated in the offer detail. I've actually regretted cancelling this card.
Chase will NOT issue you a new card if you still have your old card.

The only times Chase let people have more than one same product AFAIK would 1) down grade in it such as CSP to Freedom
2) ink card for different biz.

So if you don't cancel your old IHG you will not get the 2nd IHG, let alone another bonus.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Chase will NOT issue you a new card if you still have your old card.
One exception: if the cards are different types (Visa vs MC).
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by beltway
One exception: if the cards are different types (Visa vs MC).
This was true, but haven't all cards been converted by now? I know my Ink and Freedom Mastercards converted a long time ago.

IHG--->Mastercard
Not IHG--->Visa
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Look at your statement.
  • If it shows 70K earned that aren't in your IHG account, contact IHG.
  • If it's not shown on your statement, contact Chase.
Points posted yesterday. Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:18 pm

Is anybody seeing an offer better than 60K right now ?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stupenal
I was able to replicate the 80k + $50 statement credit offer using slickrick's instructions.

1. Open ihg.com
2. Log into account
3. Search for properties in asia. I searched for Thailand (didn't even put in a City) for a one night stay in July, selected Best Available Rate
4. Chose a random property, clicked check rates
5. Scrolled to bottom, saw the 80k bonus + $50k statement credit after first purchase. Clicked Learn More and filled out the application.
Worked for me. Thanks for the instructions.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Is anybody seeing an offer better than 60K right now ?
Nope. I've updated the wiki to reflect the current state of play (and in the process fix the xxx unannounced edits done by the previous editor).

Last edited by philemer; Jul 14, 2016 at 10:39 pm Reason: no-no
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:59 pm

My 80K and Free Night just posted! Woohoo!
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by slickrick11
My 80K and Free Night just posted! Woohoo!
What ? I never heard of an offer that gave 80K and a free night.

In the past you got points (60,70,80K) and possibly a statement credit for signing up and spending $1000

Then each year you received the free night around the time of your account anniversary.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
What ? I never heard of an offer that gave 80K and a free night.

In the past you got points (60,70,80K) and possibly a statement credit for signing up and spending $1000

Then each year you received the free night around the time of your account anniversary.
Yeah...I'm a bit confused by this too. First i've heard of points + free night on the sign up bonus.

Anyone seen this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.