Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:46 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

It seems like the higher offers have been so recent, and a program revamping requires such long term marketing research, that I wonder if the backstory includes pumping up new card membership prior to instigating their "enhancements."
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by christianj
True BUT I wonder if Chase really wants to offer a high-end hotel product. I know AMEX is offering them now as well as having their AMEX Platinum but could Chase be taking a different approach and thinking that if a customer is looking for a high-end product that they will get the Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Let's also not forget that the hotel chains have to be willing to play ball in offering the high-end cards. Maybe Hilton was willing to do it with AMEX (especially since they gave them their entire CC portfolio and left Citi) but who knows how Hyatt, MR and IHG feel about it. With Hyatt and MR I can see it making sense since their top tiers actually offer some benefits but with IHG I personally think most people would take a pass on a high-end card offering as the benefits just aren't there. Just my two cents worth.
I think it’s both Chase/IHG. The Amex Aspire and Ascend are probably the best new card launched in the last two years as far as I am concerned – better than even CSR. I was never a Hilton fan and most of my stays were at SPG (cash or points) and spending was focused on SPG for hotel cards. We have two Aspire cards between me and my wife and one Ascend. Since we got the cards on launch date, we have only stayed at Hilton properties because of Diamond benefits.

Q1 calls from both Hilton and Amex should be very interesting. My guess is that if their credit card strategy a success, Hyatt will follow. SPG has already announced a premium card from Amex next year. Also, the Club Carlson new spending benefits are pretty fantastic where you get a reward night certificate (can only be used at US properties) for $10K spending up to $30 a year. Given the backdrop, looks like IHG/Chase is thinking about devaluing benefits significantly when the trend from hotel cards is

With pretty massive devaluation of airline miles, hotels and even foreign airlines have a very wide playing field. I was expecting a ramp up in stronger loyalty card programs and new ones from hotels, foreign airlines and transfer rewards. So far, we have seen a pretty solid launch – Cathay, Iberia, Aer Lingus, and the rumored Barclays Arrival Premier. Hence if the new terms for IHG cards comes as a surprise.

Last edited by jediwho; Mar 30, 2018 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Hmm, if the old cards are not grandfathered in then it may make me drop the IHG card and IHG altogether...

Agreed.

Also, FWIW, I SM'ed chase yesterday inquiring about potential changes to the existing card. The replies were basically canned, and contradictory, but 2 of the 3 different reps that handled the messages different reps did say 'there would be changes coming to the card/benefits for existing IHG RC Select MC holders, and those changes have yet to be confirmed.'
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I think eventually we'll see tiered hotel cards coming, just like the AmEx Hilton cards. About 3-4 tier level, mostly matching hotel tier levels. The same can happen with airline cards too.

So for most the cards, I expect mass market card (silver, no AF or low AF), mid tier (gold, free night) and high end (Plat/Diamond etc) loaded with benefits, just like the Ritz or AmEx Aspire. IHG may not get all levels, but clearly toward that direction.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jediwho
I think it’s both Chase/IHG. The Amex Aspire and Ascend is probably the best new card launched in the last two years as far as I am concerned – better than even CSR. I was never a Hilton fan and most of my stays were at SPG (cash or points) and spending was focused on SPG for hotel cards. We have two Aspire cards between me and my wife and one Ascend. Since we got the cards on launch date, we have only stayed at Hilton properties because of Diamond benefits.

Q1 calls from both Hilton and Amex should be very interesting. My guess is that if their credit card strategy a success, Hyatt will follow. SPG has already announced a premium card from Amex next year. Also, the Club Carlson new spending benefits are pretty fantastic where you get a reward night certificate (can only be used at US properties) for $10K spending up to $30 a year. Given the backdrop, looks like IHG/Chase is thinking about devaluing benefits significantly when the trend from hotel cards is

With pretty massive devaluation of airline miles, hotels and even foreign airlines have a very wide playing field. I was expecting a ramp up in stronger loyalty card programs and new ones from hotels, foreign airlines and transfer rewards. So far, we have seen a pretty solid launch – Cathay, Iberia, Aer Lingus, and the rumored Barclays Arrival Premier. Hence if the new terms for IHG cards comes as a surprise.
I think that would make sense for Chase to get into the premium hotel game as they are trying to go toe to toe with Amex these days.

If they don't do it right, there's a chance I may make the leap from IHG and get an Aspire. That baseline IHG card seems worthless, and shouldn't even have an annual fee.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I think that would make sense for Chase to get into the premium hotel game as they are trying to go toe to toe with Amex these days.

If they don't do it right, there's a chance I may make the leap from IHG and get an Aspire. That baseline IHG card seems worthless, and shouldn't even have an annual fee.
In my opinion a good strategy to be covered in any country and category of hotel would include 1.- Aspire amex, 2.- Hyatt chase and 3.- IHG. I have these 3 I have also the Carlson club one with is very useful for properties in Europe.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I think eventually we'll see tiered hotel cards coming, just like the AmEx Hilton cards. About 3-4 tier level, mostly matching hotel tier levels. The same can happen with airline cards too.
For IHG? Even Aspire status doesn't do a lot for you.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nall
For IHG? Even Aspire status doesn't do a lot for you.
From your comparison? I know the no AF Hilton does not do anything.... The only reason I have it because it is my oldest AmEx card.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Any indication as to when new cards will be issued, changes implemented

My wife has a free night to use this year, my anniversary is coming soon; would like to book a Kimpton or the Venetian before free night certs are devalued.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by trebol42
In my opinion a good strategy to be covered in any country and category of hotel would include 1.- Aspire amex, 2.- Hyatt chase and 3.- IHG. I have these 3 I have also the Carlson club one with is very useful for properties in Europe.
I can't see myself using that many brands. 2 at the max. For work I travel sometimes, and I can't really stay at anything higher than IHG or Hilton. Which is fine by me.

I do already have the CSR, which is the best card for me. No other card is even close. My current favorite travel option is cruising. I usually only stay a night or two in a hotel beforehand. That is why 4th night free offers aren't as enticing to me as free nights with no restrictions. The current IHG card is sock-drawered for the free night and 10% rebate. CSR points are plentiful, and can be used on many travel options.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I can't see myself using that many brands. 2 at the max. For work I travel sometimes, and I can't really stay at anything higher than IHG or Hilton. Which is fine by me.

I do already have the CSR, which is the best card for me. No other card is even close. My current favorite travel option is cruising. I usually only stay a night or two in a hotel beforehand. That is why 4th night free offers aren't as enticing to me as free nights with no restrictions. The current IHG card is sock-drawered for the free night and 10% rebate. CSR points are plentiful, and can be used on many travel options.
Since this is the thread talking about the Chase IHG card, it is better to stay on-track. We do respect individualism, but it does not help anyone to state that this IHS card is of no use to certain individual.

Most of the FT members are more than average travelers with some avid travelers. Most hold multiple travel CCs and are members of frequent travel programs. I do understand some people do not frequent certain CC or travel program, but it does not mean that CC or travel program is bad....
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by diver858
My wife has a free night to use this year, my anniversary is coming soon; would like to book a Kimpton or the Venetian before free night certs are devalued.
Since one of the leaks was a screenshot of a marketing e-mail, I'd imagine the new card will probably come out in the following few weeks; they must be pretty close for them to have already prepared template marketing e-mails.

Undoubtedly certificates that have already been issued will be honored without any category restrictions; and if existing cardholders are not going to be grandfathered into the old benefits, Chase will mostly provide notice before your annual renewal.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Well I got the letter from Chase in the mail today that for anniversary nights issued after 01 May 2018 it will be limited to 40K and under equivalents. Award nights issued prior to 01 May will still be unrestricted but otherwise no grandfathering. Disappointed that the change wouldn't at least have been effective after my next anniversary date, though not surprised I guess.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:02 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Well I got the letter from Chase in the mail today that for anniversary nights issued after 01 May 2018 it will be limited to 40K and under equivalents. Award nights issued prior to 01 May will still be unrestricted but otherwise no grandfathering. Disappointed that the change wouldn't at least have been effective after my next anniversary date, though not surprised I guess.
Wow, very disappointing that the devalued anniversary nights are being applied to existing accounts so quickly.

Any notice on (a) whether you're going to be subject to an increased annual fee and (b) whether there will be any additional changes to your benefits (i.e. 4th award night free in lieu of the existing 10% rebate; 10x points on IHG charges, etc.)?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dw
Wow, very disappointing that the devalued anniversary nights are being applied to existing accounts so quickly.

Any notice on (a) whether you're going to be subject to an increased annual fee and (b) whether there will be any additional changes to your benefits (i.e. 4th award night free in lieu of the existing 10% rebate; 10x points on IHG charges, etc.)?
Nope, no AF change and no other changes. It lists the other existing card benefits under "You will continue to receive...". It closes with "Be on the lookout for an exciting offer to upgrade to our new IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.