Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom Promo for Amazon now earning 10% from 11/23 to 12/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National

This is pretty nice since it is stackable on the 5% up to the 23rd.

During the promotional period of November 23 until December 31, 2015, earn an extra 5% cash back (for a total of 10%) on up to $1,500 in new combined purchases at Amazon, Zappos, Audible.com and Diapers.com. We have kept the original 5% FAQs for your reference throughout the quarter and have added a new 10% FAQs section to answer questions about the new offer. Please see below.
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...ody_Textlink_1
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If I'm reading these FAQs correctly you can max out your $1500 for 5x by November 22nd and then it'll reset on November 23rd and you could then max out another $1500 for 10x? Am I reading that right??

If so this is a real gem as long as you can either spend the Amazon or can convert to something else. I believe this Means you can get 22k UR for $3k in spend on Amazon

From FAQs:

Will I still earn 10% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases from November 23 through December 31, 2015 if I’ve already been spending in this quarter’s bonus categories?

Yes. On November 23, we will reset your quarterly bonus maximum dollar amount so you can earn 10% cash back on up to $1,500 in new combined purchases in this quarter’s bonus categories regardless of what you’ve spent prior to November 23.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Duke787
it'll reset on November 23rd and you could then max out another $1500 for 10x? Am I reading that right??
Yes that was the way I read it.

a total of 10% on up to $1,500 in new combined purchases
I had to reread it several times, but yep, its like adding a couple of quarters of spend. What do you spend it on in Amazon though? I can look at Christmas gifts, but I try not to allow point hunting to direct my purchasing too much, unless it is a no-brainer. (which this might be)
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:55 am
Community Director Emerita

Is it good for Amazon gift cards? I've just scanned all the Ts and Cs and didn't find any prohibition but might have read too quickly.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Derrico
Yes that was the way I read it.

I had to reread it several times, but yep, its like adding a couple of quarters of spend. What do you spend it on in Amazon though? I can look at Christmas gifts, but I try not to allow point hunting to direct my purchasing too much, unless it is a no-brainer. (which this might be)
A couple of things though admittedly Amazon is harder to liquidate than others.

First - if you are in a city with Amazon Fresh you could combine with Amazon PrimePantry and just use it to purchase food and household goods for the foreseeable future.

Second - you can sell Amazon GCs to portals but they are so easy to obtain that portals at most are willing to pay 75% so you'd take a big hit (way more than the benefit)

Third - Buy store gift cards and resell those at a higher value to the GC portals (e.g., Whole Foods, Subway, etc.) though likely not worth it

Fourth (likely best option) - Purchase a couple of big ticket items (e.g., Macbook) and then re-sell them for a slight discount via Craigslist (or eBay but you'll lose the eBay fees unless they offer you some sort of deal for a listing). I think this approach is likely to minimize the cost on liquidating $3k in Amazon GCs

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is it good for Amazon gift cards? I've just scanned all the Ts and Cs and didn't find any prohibition but might have read too quickly.
I've never had any problems buying GCs for any of the Chase Freedom 5x promos (including Amazon).
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It specifically says that Amazon.com gift cards will count towards the promo.

A couple of things though admittedly Amazon is harder to liquidate than others.

First - if you are in a city with Amazon Fresh you could combine with Amazon PrimePantry and just use it to purchase food and household goods for the foreseeable future.

Second - you can sell Amazon GCs to portals but they are so easy to obtain that portals at most are willing to pay 75% so you'd take a big hit (way more than the benefit)

Third - Buy store gift cards and resell those at a higher value to the GC portals (e.g., Whole Foods, Subway, etc.) though likely not worth it

Fourth (likely best option) - Purchase a couple of big ticket items (e.g., Macbook) and then re-sell them for a slight discount via Craigslist (or eBay but you'll lose the eBay fees unless they offer you some sort of deal for a listing). I think this approach is likely to minimize the cost on liquidating $3k in Amazon GCs
Why the rush to liquidate? Just buy Amazon GC's, add them to your account balance, and use at some point in the future. There is no rush.

Originally Posted by Derrico
What do you spend it on in Amazon though?
Amazon GC's are the best bet at first. Add them to your balance. You can shop at some point later on. You can also buy Southwest GC's or Hyatt GC's if you plan on traveling in the future.

If I'm reading these FAQs correctly you can max out your $1500 for 5x by November 22nd and then it'll reset on November 23rd and you could then max out another $1500 for 10x? Am I reading that right??

If so this is a real gem as long as you can either spend the Amazon or can convert to something else. I believe this Means you can get 22k UR for $3k in spend on Amazon
Honestly the 5% doesn't excite me at all as I can easily go to OfficeMax with my Ink and buy Amazon.com GC's for 5x if I was so inclined. The 10% is a game changer though.

I had one Freedom already and just called Chase to convert my Chase Sapphire to a Freedom so now I have 2 Freedom's. 30k points for 3k spend on Amazon Gift Cards. Absolute steal!!! I thought Chase was getting smarter?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Why the rush to liquidate? Just buy Amazon GC's, add them to your account balance, and use at some point in the future. There is no rush.Amazon GC's are the best bet at first. Add them to your balance. You can shop at some point later on. You can also buy Southwest GC's or Hyatt GC's if you plan on traveling in the future.
Amazon challenges me from a purchase perspective. In terms of normal spend, unless I have a big-ticket item to buy from them it's usually just small purchases which makes me pause before buying $3k in Amazon GC.

I've tried hard thus far under 5x to move all relevant spend to Amazon but even PrimePantry doesn't provide enough options to replace grocery store and my biggest purchase categories are Restaurants, Grocery Store, and Travel.

That's the only reason I'm trying to determine solid liquidation strategies at least for some portion of it. I'd happily retain $500-750 but carrying $3k is more than I'm likely to spend on Amazon in the next 12 months (barring my laptop or TV breaking) so I'd rather offload and get back most of it in cash.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:04 pm

I just saw this offer when I signed into the UR website to see if I've reached to $1500 cap yet.

I had misread it assuming it was just an extra 5% on top of the original 5%...but it's clearly a new "quarter" with 10% on the Post-Nov23 $1500, separate from the pre-Nov23 $1500.

Killer deal. $3k at Amazon won't take me long, especially with the holidays. (church/charity toy drives, Anker cell chargers/battery packs & cables, books, books, books) Still using my Kindle Keyboard daily, really hoping I have it for a few more years.

I'd agree that it's not great MS material, but the $1500 cap kind of keeps it from being good MS material to begin with.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I am assuming that if you are already signed up for the 5% for Q4, you will automatically enroll for the November 23rd to December 31st period. Is that correct or do we need to register again?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:13 am

No need to register again, you're good to go!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:12 am
Suspended

So I had been thinking that you could simply add Amazon GC's to your account balance and then buy whatever, including other types of GC's like Hyatt or Southwest. But apparently you can't do that.

So does anyone know if you just straight up buy the Hyatt or SW GC's, does that earn the 10%?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:42 am

So I had been thinking that you could simply add Amazon GC's to your account balance and then buy whatever, including other types of GC's like Hyatt or Southwest. But apparently you can't do that.

So does anyone know if you just straight up buy the Hyatt or SW GC's, does that earn the 10%?
surely
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:56 pm

I was wondering about the same thing.
When I click on Whole Foods GC, it says, 'sold and shipped by ACI gift card, inc., an Amazon company'. Will it be counted as Amazon?? Anyone, any idea?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LostPanda
When I click on Whole Foods GC, it says, 'sold and shipped by ACI gift card, inc., an Amazon company'. Will it be counted as Amazon?? Anyone, any idea?
I'll just get a cheap $25 Hyatt or SW GC as a test and wait to see how it's credited. I'm not going to rush out and buy 3k worth of Amazon GC's only to know I'm stuck with them.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by LostPanda
EVERYTHING that you buy on Amazon counts, even it's bought from another company. In you Freedom statements it will show as "Amazon" if sold by Amazon or "Amazon Marketplace" if sold by another company through Amazon. But all of them get the bonus on Freedom (or the Chase Amazon CC 3x or the Amazon Prime storecard 5x cashback for that matter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.