Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any problems checking in for flight booked on canceled credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

Hi all,

I'm near my one year anniversary on my Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card. I had booked an award trip for May using this card to pay for the fees and taxes. Will I run into any trouble if I close my account in April (after I pay off all my balances)? By trouble, I mean difficulty with checking-in on flights if they ask for my booking credit card. I don't want to get hit with the annual fee. I'm a newbie and didn't realize the anniversary is June. If I were smarter, I would have use another card to pay for my flights.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Your ticket is already paid for, you don't have to keep the account open once it's been purchased.

The interesting question is, however, will you receive any of the benefits of the Explorer card (priority boarding and one free checked bag) since you have now cancelled it. My guess would be no, but maybe someone else here knows from personal experience.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:31 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DavidWeb
By trouble, I mean difficulty with checking-in on flights if they ask for my booking credit card. I don't want to get hit with the annual fee.
Separate from the validity of the transaction itself - which is fine, even if you cancel the card - is the credit card verification. Occasionally members post that an airline will ask to see the physical credit card at check-in, especially for reservations where the ticket is booked in a different name than the name on the credit card, and the reservation is to risky international destinations.

This is very rare but there's no reason you couldn't take the canceled credit card with you just in case they want to see it.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:35 am

Award trip should be fine, and United doesn't ask for credit card at check-in on ticketed/paid/confirmed flights.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is almost unheard of for UA to require a physical card, especially for a US departure. But, if OP really wants to be safe, simply keep the physical card and bring it with you. If by some remote chance you are asked to show it, show it.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
simply keep the physical card and bring it with you. If by some remote chance you are asked to show it, show it.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.