Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What does Chase have against vending machine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

So my work have all new Coke vending machines that accept credit card (same price as cash). This is great because I don't have to dig in my desk for changes and I get points for it! Tried CSP.. rejected. Tried Mileageplus Club.. rejected. Got the fraud dept emails and txt and replied they are legit. A few days later.. try again. This time it was rejected and I got a phone call immediately from fraud dept. Explained that it is okay.. it is a vending machine at my work location. Fast forward to today.. try again.. rejected..

BTW, my Citi HHonors Reserved card works the first try and every time after.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:40 pm

Glad to see you posted this, I tried to use my Ink card in a parking lot and it would not work, my AMEX worked fine!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:01 pm

I wonder if the work vending machines code as something weird, like some centralized location, rather than your work site.

I had the parking problem once while visiting a client, but charged food in the same area on the same card and didn't have problems with the parking machines on future visits. (Didn't get fraud alert, card just didn't work.) I guess it became clear that was part of my "pattern."
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fwoomp
I wonder if the work vending machines code as something weird, like some centralized location, rather than your work site.

I had the parking problem once while visiting a client, but charged food in the same area on the same card and didn't have problems with the parking machines on future visits. (Didn't get fraud alert, card just didn't work.) I guess it became clear that was part of my "pattern."
I would be happy if they fixed it after the first time, or even the second time. Especially the 2nd I talked to a person and she said she will make sure it won't happen again. I told her to put the merchant on some kind of safe list. Seriously it is $1.50! And yes I don't get fault alert now.. I get it is in the "safe list" but the card just get rejected LOL.

I don't know how the charge is coded but it shows up as being a coke vending machine in Orange County which is where I work. I know my wife has use her CSP on many parking meters before and it works.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
My Club gets declined at vending machines when I insert the actual card. It gets accepted when I run it through Apple Pay. I have no idea why this happens.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:46 pm

my Ritz card gets declined for a 29 cents transaction at vending Machine. Chase sent me both text and email. After I said Apporve them in future. I never had any troubles using any of my chase cards ..
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:13 am

I've used my Freedom and United Club card at a vending machine at work quite a bit (probably too much!), but I haven't had a problem.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by newuser0
my Ritz card gets declined for a 29 cents transaction at vending Machine. Chase sent me both text and email. After I said Apporve them in future. I never had any troubles using any of my chase cards ..
The key is you said "Approve them in the future."
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's possible that they have had a large number of chargebacks from that particular merchant, which may skew their fraud detection algorithm.

I suspect that this is more likely if the merchant shows up as something non-obvious on the statement. I've almost disputed valid charges in the past because I did not recognize a merchant -- then I searched for them online and realized that it was actually the machine at work that sells postage (it was coded as some company that I had never heard of in a state that I have never been to).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:39 pm

Alternatively, many fraud charges happen first with a small charge to test the card. So chase just prevents the small unknown charge.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Alternatively, many fraud charges happen first with a small charge to test the card. So chase just prevents the small unknown charge.
Dollars to donuts this is it. Somebody either clones a card or finds a lost card, uses a vending machine to check if the card works. If it does, they go off to spend a lot more, rapidly.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:05 am

this has happened to us too on vending machines as well as NYC metro cards... Saphire and Ink rejected... tried Amex open... no problem. It gets frustrating.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:54 pm

I just recently began using the vending machines at my work and my CSP has had zero issues. I actually get the 2x back as well. I purchased a .50 snack and got 1.00 back!

Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
this has happened to us too on vending machines as well as NYC metro cards... Saphire and Ink rejected... tried Amex open... no problem. It gets frustrating.
Funny thing i was able to buy a 30 day unlimited card with the sapphire yesterday with no problem. I tried to buy a 10 dollar metrocard today and the transaction was declined.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by WIguy
I've heard of manufactured spending, but at that rate it's going to take forever to hit the initial $4k spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.