Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Refund processed twice, Chase CSR tells me to call United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National

I had a booking error with United that resulted in two booked flights. Called United CSR within an hour of booking and had one of the flights cancelled. Actively checked my United Explorer card for the next 5-6 days and did not see any refund. I called Chase, told them the situation, and started the dispute process. When my statement came this weekend, I noticed that the refund was processed twice. Today I called a Chase CSR again to point out the error and was told it was United's problem. Was the CSR right? I would assume that Chase could easily cancel one of the refunds. Anyone else with similar experiences?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
never had the same experience but imo waiting only 5-6 days for a refund to post is a bit on the short side. I think you typically have 60 days to dispute a transaction so I would have waited until the statement came out before I disputed to not run into issues such as this. I find you will end up wasting more time if you don't allow time for chargebacks/refunds sufficient time to post.

I know I didn't answer your question but thought my response may be a bit helpful in some way...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by huynhc
never had the same experience but imo waiting only 5-6 days for a refund to post is a bit on the short side. I think you typically have 60 days to dispute a transaction so I would have waited until the statement came out before I disputed to not run into issues such as this. I find you will end up wasting more time if you don't allow time for chargebacks/refunds sufficient time to post.

I know I didn't answer your question but thought my response may be a bit helpful in some way...
I haven't had a lot of experience with CC refunds. From the few the times I've had to call a merchant, the refund was usually posted within 4-5 days.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:12 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Yes, the CSR was right. If United posted a refund, only United can cancel it. You can't cancel a refund that United initiated, just like United can't cancel a refund that you initiated. I suggest waiting a couple weeks, and then contacting United if the refund is still there.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
I'd make sure you still have one of your bookings, in the meantime...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KrnGrs
I'd make sure you still have one of your bookings, in the meantime...
Still have it as of this morning
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:56 am

So your got twice the refund and still have the booking...

"Bank error in your favor. Collect $200."
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by Need
So your got twice the refund and still have the booking...

"Bank error in your favor. Collect $200."
Thats what I read it as. Whats the problem then?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem is that when UA gets around to it, the system will spit out OP's ticket as having an add/collect due. If lucky, UA will contact him for payment. If unlucky, UA will cancel the ticket.

I would call UA ASAP. Harder to fix later than now.

Likelihood that UA won't catch on is close to zero.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Thats what I read it as. Whats the problem then?
Its not accurate. All I wanted was to get the other booking canceled.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gradfly
Its not accurate. All I wanted was to get the other booking canceled.
Are you sure there are 2 refunds instead of one is a refund from United and the other "refund" is a conditional credit issued by Chase due to your dispute?

The Chase credit will be removed in due course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.