Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do you use Chase UR or AmEx points for BA redemptions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I've made a number of bookings over the last few months, and I always seem to face a choice - MR or UR for BA redemptions?

Now I need to make another booking.
NYC-CUN on BA for 10K Avios
CUN - NYC for 37.5K UA (standard level, not flexible on dates, got UA Explorer card to snag even that).

After burning through a million Chase points this year with awards for myself and family on UA and BA, I have about 440K UR pts left. If booked all with URs, it's another 190K.

My AmEx MRs don't come as easily, and I currently have about 150K.
Generally, it is much easier for me to earn Chase points because of multiple pt opportunities with 5x office supplies and telecom.

Would you use MRs or URs to make the 40K Avios booking?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I generally use URs, for exactly the reason you state - they're easier to come by. Also MR transfer to some other programs that UR can't, such as choice hotels. (Good in europe, believe it or not)
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:40 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Flip a coin
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:08 am

Save your AMEX for a transfer bonus (assuming they ever happen to offer one again).
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I may be a minority here, but I only use MR for transferring to Avios. So with the bonus going on now, I transferred all MR to BA. Chase points are much more valuable to me (BA, UA, Hyatt, and straight up purchasing travel with bonus).
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:52 pm

There is currently a MR transfer bonus, so if I had the choice right now, I'd transfer MR. If there were no transfer bonus available, I'd probably transfer UR.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:53 pm
Suspended

All my MR go to KrisFlyer so I can redeem a first class suite saver award for Thailand. Hopefully in the next year or 2, can't wait.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:39 am

I save MR until there's a transfer bonus, then transfer those.

As per now.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
There is currently a MR transfer bonus, so if I had the choice right now, I'd transfer MR. If there were no transfer bonus available, I'd probably transfer UR.
To be specific, 40% bonus until 01/31/2015. I would definitely transfer the MR points.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by TMM1982
All my MR go to KrisFlyer so I can redeem a first class suite saver award for Thailand. Hopefully in the next year or 2, can't wait.
Wow, that's a long time to wait. Chok dii krap !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.