Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused about Reward Points/UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Confused about Reward Points/UA

Hi, I'm new to all of this, so please forgive me in advance. I intend to use my ultimate rewards at some point for air travel, and have read that transferring to United is among the best options. My confusion is that the UA Saver Award is 50,000 miles RT (PHL-SFO) pp. However, if I booked through Chase Rewards, it would only cost ~80,000 points for 2. Am I correct that I would be better ordering through Ultimate Rewards vs. transferring points to UA?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:15 am

The saver for PHL to SFO would be 25k round trip per-person...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant the standard award.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by duceno1
... Am I correct that I would be better ordering through Ultimate Rewards vs. transferring points to UA?
Don't look only at UA. If no saver awards are available on any airline which flies the route, and if the published fare is still low enough that fewer than 50,000 points per person are required, it is very likely to be better to redeem points for a revenue ticket rather than transferring for a reward ticket.

The recommendation to transfer to an airline partner is a generalization. There will always be exceptions for specific date/route/cabin combinations.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Don't look only at UA. If no saver awards are available on any airline which flies the route, and if the published fare is still low enough that fewer than 50,000 points per person are required, it is very likely to be better to redeem points for a revenue ticket rather than transferring for a reward ticket.

The recommendation to transfer to an airline partner is a generalization. There will always be exceptions for specific date/route/cabin combinations.
To be specific, search on aa.com. If the direct PHL-SFO (on US Airways) is available, BA will charge 12.5K Avios each way (and is a Chase transfer partner). Even a one-stop itinerary would be 17K most likely. Also, check Delta as you could use Korean Air miles to book on Delta.

Is United business class saver available by chance? You could transfer to Singapore and use 40K per person for business round trip on United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.