Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel points?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Which hotel points?

Have 100,000 Chase Sapphire points and lots of airline miles on several airlines. What I don't have are many hotel points. Which hotel program would be the best to convert to? Thanks..
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Depends on where you want to go. A lot of people transfer to Hyatt. It's a good value but they have a small footprint. Next I guess would be Marriott. Honestly, the best thing would be to wait until you have a place in mind to go, see what hotels are there and make your redemption based on that. If the points to dollar ratio doesn't work out or you don't see a Hyatt or Marriott hotel you like then use the UT site to book a hotel. You get 1.25 c/point value that way.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
IMO, the only UR hotel transfer partner that makes sense is Hyatt. Only time I would ever transfer to Marriott, Ritz, or Priority Club would be if I was very close to an award and needed to top off my points balance.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:49 pm

Marriott can make sense if you can scrape together the points for the Flight and Hotel packages, especially if you go with southwest as the miles count for companion pass status (so 270k gets you 7 nights, 120k SW miles, and companion pass). Otherwise not useful
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

If you want IHG it only makes sense to transfer in enough to seed your account - you need 5k I think to have enough to buy points + $, which when cancelled results in points for $.007 - so for IHG you would want to, at most, transfer 5k in and then you do better cashing out the UR at $.01 or just saving them for a better redemption and paying cash for the IHG pts.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Marriott and IHG points are generally available for less than a penny a point, so it is rarely wise to transfer to either of those programs unless you need a couple thousand points for a specific booking.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by shanna135
Have 100,000 Chase Sapphire points and lots of airline miles on several airlines. What I don't have are many hotel points. Which hotel program would be the best to convert to? Thanks..
I value Hyatt points at at least double the value of the other hotel partners. So I would definitely only transfer to any other hotel program to top off an award.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:15 am

In my mind, the only hotel you should transfer your Chase UR points to is Hyatt Gold Passport. Occasionally, you may find a hotel that you wish to stay at on IHG's PointBreaks, but it rarely makes sense to transfer UR points to Marriott, IHG, or Ritz Carlton.

I just completed an analysis of the value of Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partners that could help you. See this link for more info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.