Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

I lost 60K UR points; didn't xfer UR before closing card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

So I learned today that chase has taken all of my points for a Business card I recently closed because I have ink bold and use it more often. I also have a CSP card as well.

I had the card for a year and canceled before the annual fee and meet the spend requirements to get the 60K sign-up bonus.

I always understood that as long as you had one CC open with a UR account then you would not lose points when you canceled another UR CC? Is this only the case Amex points?

I need to close one of my wife's business cards soon as well and thinking what is the best way to ensure I don't lose her points. Can I transfer her points into her CSP UR account or into my CSP UR account? I really didn't want to transfer the points into one of the hotel/airlines partners until I needed to but if this is the only choice I have is SPG the best choice to transfer into so I still have some flexibility?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:08 pm

Unlike Amex, which pools the points from all your cards together into one pool, Chase keeps each separate. Did you transfer the points from the card you were going to close to one you'd keep, before you closed it?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
You need to transfer the points before closing as mentioned earlier, it is not like Amex. I was able to call and convince an agent to open the account, return the points, transfer the points and then close the account again. Dont know if I was just lucky or not but I will tell you it took some talking and some time to get it done in my case. It makes it harder being a business card also as the business group has to be involved.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nall
Unlike Amex, which pools the points from all your cards together into one pool, Chase keeps each separate. Did you transfer the points from the card you were going to close to one you'd keep, before you closed it?
Nope rookie mistake.

Originally Posted by mcgahat
You need to transfer the points before closing as mentioned earlier, it is not like Amex. I was able to call and convince an agent to open the account, return the points, transfer the points and then close the account again. Dont know if I was just lucky or not but I will tell you it took some talking and some time to get it done in my case. It makes it harder being a business card also as the business group has to be involved.
Ok will give this a go. Hopefully with the amount of spend I put on my CSP for both my wife and I and the fact that we have been with chase for little over 10 years they will allow me to do this.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
As mentioned earlier , it sounds like this is a case of user error above anything else. Others (including me) will take note.

Mods
Thread title needs to change. This is not any adverse action on the part of Chase , as the current title makes you believe

update

thanks

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jul 6, 2014 at 9:28 am
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I had a similar situation with an old British Airways card but it involved credit movement prior to cancellation of the BA account, and thankfully not reward points.
Resolution was simular the what the quoted poster describes
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting. I recently closed a Chase business card (only 677 points remaining), but those points have remained in my Ultimate Rewards balance, and I didn't do anything special to transfer them.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I cancelled my Ink card Thursday. I asked the CSR to transfer the points to my Freedom card. The CSR said if I didn't transfer the points I would lose the 88k. Instantly showed up on my Freedom.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
So I learned today that chase has taken all of my points for a Business card I recently closed because I have ink bold and use it more often. I also have a CSP card as well.

I had the card for a year and canceled before the annual fee and meet the spend requirements to get the 60K sign-up bonus.

I always understood that as long as you had one CC open with a UR account then you would not lose points when you canceled another UR CC? Is this only the case Amex points?

I need to close one of my wife's business cards soon as well and thinking what is the best way to ensure I don't lose her points. Can I transfer her points into her CSP UR account or into my CSP UR account? I really didn't want to transfer the points into one of the hotel/airlines partners until I needed to but if this is the only choice I have is SPG the best choice to transfer into so I still have some flexibility?
Probably the guy that assisted you was a jerk, but still it doesn't excuse you from being diligent. Lesson for us all
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by getagb
Interesting. I recently closed a Chase business card (only 677 points remaining), but those points have remained in my Ultimate Rewards balance, and I didn't do anything special to transfer them.
How is that possible? UR points are tied to a specific credit card account, so if you close an account with UR points, they're gone. You don't have a consolidated Ultimate Rewards balance.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by bribro
How is that possible? UR points are tied to a specific credit card account, so if you close an account with UR points, they're gone. You don't have a consolidated Ultimate Rewards balance.
+1
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Probably the guy that assisted you was a jerk, but still it doesn't excuse you from being diligent. Lesson for us all
?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I don't think that was it. CSP may missed it I don't think it was on purpose.

Regardless, called chase and they told me it shouldn't be a problem just need to call back during the week and open the account again, transfer the points and close the account again.

They made it sound like as long as the account wasn't closed by chase, that I closed the account voluntarily then they could work with me.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by jgxtrav1
?

Regardless, called chase and they told me it shouldn't be a problem just need to call back during the week and open the account again, transfer the points and close the account again.

They made it sound like as long as the account wasn't closed by chase, that I closed the account voluntarily then they could work with me.
Again, I am glad it got (or is getting) resolved. We should all take this experience as a lesson learned and not forget to transfer to another card or program upon cancellation of a card. (which most of us do anyway on a monthly basis if your freedom works in coordination with your CSP/ink bold
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton

That's great news and very good information for anyone who may have had the same problem. I was not aware you could reopen and transfer the points if you closed the account.. Thanks for that education, that's what great about FT "learning".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.