Wiki Posts
Search

Annual Fee Refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Annual Fee Refund

How long after the annual fee posts on the Marriott card do you have to cancel to get a full refund of the AF?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:33 pm

60 days
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Originally Posted by daw4888
60 days
Is this the same for my Chase Sapphire Preferred card? I applied last August. Will the AF post this year on August 1st, Sept 1st, or on my closing billing date cycle? I will then have 60 days, right?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JamieDee78
Is this the same for my Chase Sapphire Preferred card? I applied last August. Will the AF post this year on August 1st, Sept 1st, or on my closing billing date cycle? I will then have 60 days, right?
Chase always posts AF on the first of the month.

I would guess your AF would be posted on Sept 1st. You can always send a SM to ask Chase when exactly the AF would be billed and what is the last date to cancel to get the fee reversed (60 days from the date it is billed IIRC).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I would guess Sept. 1st...all my Chase cards always post 1st day of month following month I applied in
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by skibum7732
I would guess Sept. 1st...all my Chase cards always post 1st day of month following month I applied in
Same experience.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:23 am

According to my statements (Sapphire Preferred & United Club):
The annual fee and charge are non-refundable unless you notify us that you wish to close your account within 30 days or one billing cycle (whichever is less) after we provide the statement on which the annual fee or charge is billed and at the same time, you pay your outstanding balance in full.
My annual fees also post the 1st of the month after I opened the card.

Is the Marriott card different (60 days)?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:23 pm

So you guys cancel the card at the end of 1 year to get annual fee refunded? Is this a good idea to do keeping in mind of the credit history? Asking this since I'm a newbie.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA,UA,BA,SPG,IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, UR, MR
Originally Posted by dingchak
So you guys cancel the card at the end of 1 year to get annual fee refunded? Is this a good idea to do keeping in mind of the credit history? Asking this since I'm a newbie.
You have several options at the one year point. If you feel that the card benefits far exceed the 95$ fee, then simply keep the card. You only need to keep one UR earning card open to have full access to the UR program, so another option is to get an Ink Bold or Plus prior to one year anniversary on Sapphire preferred, for example, then downgrading the preferred to the regular Sapphire, which has no annual fee. I always prefer to downgrade instead of cancel for a couple of reasons. One, it obviously helps with your average age of accounts, which affects your FICO score. Also, with Chase, it always helps to keep the credit line open so you can swap it to a new product on a recon call, if necessary.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Originally Posted by jhuck
You have several options at the one year point. If you feel that the card benefits far exceed the 95$ fee, then simply keep the card. You only need to keep one UR earning card open to have full access to the UR program, so another option is to get an Ink Bold or Plus prior to one year anniversary on Sapphire preferred, for example, then downgrading the preferred to the regular Sapphire, which has no annual fee. I always prefer to downgrade instead of cancel for a couple of reasons. One, it obviously helps with your average age of accounts, which affects your FICO score. Also, with Chase, it always helps to keep the credit line open so you can swap it to a new product on a recon call, if necessary.
I think I will just cancel my CSP sometime in August rather than downgrade. This eliminates a card on my credit report that significantly reduced my average credit history age, and should lengthen it when I cancel.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:53 am

I think I will just cancel my CSP sometime in August rather than downgrade. This eliminates a card on my credit report that significantly reduced my average credit history age, and should lengthen it when I cancel.
Closed accounts generally stay on your credit report and continue to be factored into your credit score for ~10 years after the date of closure. So your AAoA will not lengthen as a result of such a move for at least a decade.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Data point: I’ve been a relatively heavy CC churner for several years, keeping many accounts for only 3-10 months. Due to a recent military Reserve mobilization I did not make any new applications for almost 1 year and closed all but 3 or 4 longstanding accounts prior to deploying. During that one year my average age of accounts, per CreditKarma, changed incrementally each month from approximately 4 years to approximately about 10 years.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Data point: I’ve been a relatively heavy CC churner for several years, keeping many accounts for only 3-10 months. Due to a recent military Reserve mobilization I did not make any new applications for almost 1 year and closed all but 3 or 4 longstanding accounts prior to deploying. During that one year my average age of accounts, per CreditKarma, changed incrementally each month from approximately 4 years to approximately about 10 years.
CreditKarma != FICO. CK calculates AAoA differently by excluding the age of closed accounts from the scoring formula.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.