Wiki Posts
Search

United Presidential Plus vs. Club Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services; Bonvoy Ambassador
United Presidential Plus vs. Club Card

All - i have read some older threads on this, but I'm afraid I'm still bewildered.

I have a United PresidentialPlus Card (having first gotten one when it was a FREE benefit of high tier status with CO).

Of course, it is now not free.

I used to fly for a living, now I don't. I am lifetime elite b/c of MillionMiler status. But I no longer fly (to speak of) except family vacations. Earning reward travel *IS* a priority.

Which is better for me. A. My current PresidentialPlus card ($395, and as I understand it some ability to earn ELITE miles). or B. The alternative MileagePlus Club card ($395, and as I understand it the ability to earn 1.5 reward miles per $ spent).

Any help appreciated!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I'd go with the higher earning 1.5x United Club card since your stated priority is reward travel. If you're not travelling much these days, it's unlikely you'll exceed the Premier level you automatically get from MM status, so why bother trying to accrue PQMs at all?

If it's worth the trouble, you might also want to consider throwing in a Freedom, CSP, and/or Ink card since those cards earn UR points which can be transferred 1:1 to United. So instead of just 1.5x, you could get 5x on Freedom bonus categories, 2x on dining and traveling with CSP, 2x on gas with Ink, and 5x on office supply stores and certain telecom bills with Ink. Plus all the sign-up bonuses.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bribro
If it's worth the trouble, you might also want to consider throwing in a Freedom, CSP, and/or Ink card since those cards earn UR points which can be transferred 1:1 to United. So instead of just 1.5x, you could get 5x on Freedom bonus categories, 2x on dining and traveling with CSP, 2x on gas with Ink, and 5x on office supply stores and certain telecom bills with Ink. Plus all the sign-up bonuses.
Note: not sure about Ink, but UR points from a Freedom card can not be transferred to UA or other travel partners like CSP UR points can - for travel, they can only be redeemed at the UR travel site. One reason (among many) the CSP has an annual fee and Freedom does not.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Note: not sure about Ink, but UR points from a Freedom card can not be transferred to UA or other travel partners like CSP UR points can - for travel, they can only be redeemed at the UR travel site. One reason (among many) the CSP has an annual fee and Freedom does not.
Yeah, I was just trying to keep my post short. The "premium" UR cards that allow you to transfer points to travel partners are CSP, Ink Bold, Ink Plus, JPM Select (discontinued 5 days ago), and JPM Palladium. The Freedom cards earns UR points, which you can transfer to a premium UR card, and from there transfer out to United, Hyatt, Southwest, etc.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
True, though if you have both Freedom and CSP you can transfer UR points from your Freedom account to your CSP account then transfer to United/etc. that way. One could in theory accrue a large number of UR points via the Freedom, then sign up for CSP (first year fee waived) and immediately use that to transfer lots of miles to partners.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by mc1263
Earning reward travel *IS* a priority.
If that's the case I'd also suggest the UR cards mentioned above -- which is how I get my United miles via spend. Depending on your spend you could earn a lot more than just 1.5/dollar. Plus the sign on bonuses as mentioned above. Plus additional on qualifying purchases through the UR mall.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:28 pm

I have the pres plus and value the elite points quite a bit. How long do companies (mainly chase) usually let grandfathered cards go for before they are retired?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.