FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-archived-2013-mid-2019-a.html)

Artemk Dec 31, 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ponickka (Post 22050455)
EXACTLY! I rather play it safe with the devaluation than to lose all of my poitns, should they decide to close my account.

To piss me off further, Chase charged me $95 annual fee on 12/1 and totally refuses to refund it, so that's about $5/day to have Ink Bold :) - $95 on 12/1, card closed 12/20...

austin_modern Dec 31, 2013 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust (Post 22041442)
why? I have no MS and no reason for Chase to close my accounts.

I apologize; I was making the assumption that there was some MS there.

augustus21 Dec 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust (Post 22041442)
why? I have no MS and no reason for Chase to close my accounts.

Do you have a Chase checking account?

Outside of excessive MS, it seems like Chase tends to shut down credit cards of customers who also do their retail banking with Chase.

Dr_wanderlust Jan 1, 2014 9:07 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern (Post 22056769)
I apologize; I was making the assumption that there was some MS there.

no need to apologize.

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 22059123)

Outside of excessive MS, it seems like Chase tends to shut down credit cards of customers who also do their retail banking with Chase.

I have a mortgage, savings, and checking with Chase in addition to savings and checking (and 3 credit cards Fairmont, CSP, & Palladium)

StartinSanDiego Jan 1, 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust (Post 22061694)
no need to apologize.

I have a mortgage, savings, and checking with Chase in addition to savings and checking (and 3 credit cards Fairmont, CSP, & Palladium)

That just seems too weird. Did you bounce checks? Run up the credit lines over the limit?

For Artemk-- The gift card thing has been dead for months, so why would it go retro on you like that? There must be more to this story...

Artemk Jan 1, 2014 11:15 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego (Post 22061740)
For Artemk-- The gift card thing has been dead for months, so why would it go retro on you like that? There must be more to this story...

That's the thing - CGC was the last thing I did MS-vise with Chase. After that - back to the regular stuff I was doing with them for 15 years - deposit my paycheck and pay my monthly expenses...

Dr_wanderlust Jan 1, 2014 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego (Post 22061740)
That just seems too weird. Did you bounce checks? Run up the credit lines over the limit?

you must be confused. what story are you referring to? Chase has not taken any action against my UR points. Or are you saying that because I have these other accounts they should? :confused:

I was merely responding to a question by augustus21.

StartinSanDiego Jan 1, 2014 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust (Post 22063676)
you must be confused. what story are you referring to? Chase has not taken any action against my UR points. Or are you saying that because I have these other accounts they should? :confused:

I was merely responding to a question by augustus21.

Sorry... I was rushed this morning. Glad your points are ok.

Originally Posted by Artemk (Post 22062349)
That's the thing - CGC was the last thing I did MS-vise with Chase. After that - back to the regular stuff I was doing with them for 15 years - deposit my paycheck and pay my monthly expenses...

That is awful. A 15 year client should feel secure with their bank. I did a boatload of CGC's there in the final days, too. Also a long term banking client. I sure wonder where the heck the "off with his head" order comes from?

bribro Jan 2, 2014 10:39 am

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 22059123)

This would make sense since all the big banks are cracking down on relationships that they consider to be a "reputational liability." Anyone who has a cash-intensive business, is flagged for possible money laundering, has a negative LexisNexis entry, etc. could be at risk.

mevschase Jan 5, 2014 12:37 am

Go to small claims and sue. You will be successful most likely. Just stand firm when they call to settle towards the pretrail date. Don't explain your case to them, just talk numbers. Let them have discovery notice right away. I have some experience. :p

augustus21 Jan 5, 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by bribro (Post 22068490)
This would make sense since all the big banks are cracking down on relationships that they consider to be a "reputational liability." Anyone who has a cash-intensive business, is flagged for possible money laundering, has a negative LexisNexis entry, etc. could be at risk.

Credit is asymmetrical; you have all of the information (e.g. you already know if you plan on paying your debts) and the bank's job is to find out as much as possible.

Banking with Chase gives them additional data: your average cash balance, how much you get paid (if you have direct deposit), or when your checking account gets low. If your spending doesn't match up with the profile of someone with x-amount of cash on average, it could be a risk and result in a shutdown. In other words, if you average $5,000 per month in daily balances, and you spend a lot more than that, even if the spending is legitimate, it might be flagged.

CRUISINGFLYING4LIFE Jan 5, 2014 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 21897578)
1. Did you ever "overpay" your credit card bill? For example, your bill for the month was $1500 and you paid them $2500 (resulting in a negative balance temporarily), which then allows you to spend even more the following month?

2. Did you ever run up a large balance early in the billing cycle, pay down your balance during the month, before your statement came, then continue to spend more, and then pay off the end-of-month balance (making more than one payment a month)?

3. Have you used Bluebird or one of the other free bill-paying services to pay off your statements frequently?

My answers to all 3 questions are yes yes yes.
1. yes - Overpay the bill by hundreds, but not thousands ...
2. yes - MS as much as possible and pay as I go...
3. yes - BB and several checking accounts to pay off the tens of thousands per month.

Been at it for 3 months...
Which may mean that this is my last hurrah.

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 21954279)
There's gotta be another factor.

People in the MS forums spend 5 figures at CVS and etc on GCs and VRs and they're fine.

Does it take 3 months or 6 months to get noticed by the Chase Dogs?

Originally Posted by Artemk (Post 22015362)
Count me in.

It all started with a letter from Chase that my Checking and Savings will be closed. Few days later I put in a request to transfer 100K UR Points to UA - the transfer never completed, now all my cards - Ink Bold, Sapphire, United - shown as closed. Requests to transfer points or make a purchase with points error out.

Planning on calling them later, but don't have much hope.

Most of the 'questionable' activity I can think of are Chase Gift Card purchases. There was some additional activity on cards, but not much.

Not sure why it all started from Chase accounts - I never did MOs - liquidated through BB.

Will keep you guys posted, but it seems to me I will be looking for help on trying to get my points back...

Pls Keep me posted - PM me

Originally Posted by mevschase (Post 22086462)
Go to small claims and sue. You will be successful most likely. Just stand firm when they call to settle towards the pretrail date. Don't explain your case to them, just talk numbers. Let them have discovery notice right away. I have some experience. :p

Pls PM with some details regarding address to send summons and how you located that if you did.

flyernick Jan 5, 2014 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 22090806)
Credit is asymmetrical; you have all of the information (e.g. you already know if you plan on paying your debts) and the bank's job is to find out as much as possible.

Banking with Chase gives them additional data: your average cash balance, how much you get paid (if you have direct deposit), or when your checking account gets low. If your spending doesn't match up with the profile of someone with x-amount of cash on average, it could be a risk and result in a shutdown. In other words, if you average $5,000 per month in daily balances, and you spend a lot more than that, even if the spending is legitimate, it might be flagged.

You bring up an interesting point. I have several Chase CCs and have had various ones off & on for years. I opened a Chase checking acct. last summer for the signup bonus, but I just use it as a secondary acct, and only direct deposit the min $500/mo. I hope I'm not giving them a reason to think I only make $6000/year...

bribro Jan 6, 2014 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 22090806)

That's certainly a possibility. Maybe those who have been shut down by Chase for "no reason" can comment on their banking activity.

TTnC4me Jan 6, 2014 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by bribro (Post 22097376)
That's certainly a possibility. Maybe those who have been shut down by Chase for "no reason" can comment on their banking activity.

All my cards were shut down last month. No banking relationship with them.