FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-archived-2013-mid-2019-a.html)

cottonpatch Dec 12, 2013 10:51 am

Originally Posted by brettskyg (Post 21953944)
I had a 780 fico prior to this mess. Hopefully this doesn't kill my score. I guess I will know in a month when the statements cycle again. I do have cards with amex barclays boa and citi and zero credit debt so this shouldn't impact my credit utilization whatsoever. I am justt concerned about what a forces closure will do?

I admit I spent very little collected sign up bonuses and not much else. However I bought he jpm gift cards 1 time and they never complained. The only spending that might have bugged them was 2 purchases of 1000 apiece. At cvs two weeks apart. It's like being punched in the gut. It's pretty low of them to confiscate points that were earned but even worse to do this without any notice on a day I was traveling united. I just so happened to have a citi credit card on me but had I not I would have been royally screwed on this trip. They should at least give a courtesy phone call or email advising of the situation.

In the MS forum you've talked about doing 10 VR cards per day. Could this be related to your Chase closures?

uneeq Dec 12, 2013 11:01 am

There's gotta be another factor.

People in the MS forums spend 5 figures at CVS and etc on GCs and VRs and they're fine.

oohaahouch Dec 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 21954279)

People in the MS forums spend 5 figures at CVS and etc on GCs and VRs and they're fine.

100%

csol47 Dec 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch (Post 21954803)
100%

Wellll I do know someone shutdown by chase over VR's... But I think it may have been more than five figures per month lol ;)
I've heard everything and this person blew my mind.
But I'm sure it's such a tiny percentage of the customer base that even significant MS flies off the radar.

brettskyg Dec 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by cottonpatch (Post 21954216)
In the MS forum you've talked about doing 10 VR cards per day. Could this be related to your Chase closures?

No as stated on chase only did 2500 1 time to earn a bonus on southwest and it was split on a few transaction. My mfg spending is 99 percent on a citi preferred 5x promo.

deant Dec 13, 2013 11:44 am

Lesson learned. If you are doing MS, make sure you have other spending to show actual use of the cards.

skibum7732 Dec 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by deant (Post 21960676)
Lesson learned. If you are doing MS, make sure you have other spending to show actual use of the cards.

I always put many other small transactions on each of my ms spend cards...I think you are asking for big trouble if not. It at least sorta hides what you're doing to some extent

brettskyg Dec 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Several Conversations with clueless CSR reps, I finally spoke to someone in executive offices. We will see what happens.

brettskyg Dec 17, 2013 9:20 am

Spoke with executive offices today. Not offered any explanation. Was told this was not for perk abuse, but rather for unexpected spending. Reading between the lines it sounds like it was because I had several accounts, with very little spending on them. They will not return my annual fees even though I only have 4-6 months of use of the cards. They said they are entitled to keep them. They are not returning my points.

I have am considering legal action against Chase here. If anyone else has filed suits against Chase, please PM me as I would love to know what has happened.

My advice to all- Do NOT let UR points accumulate in your account. Find a travel partner and transfer them immediately or you could be next.

Often1 Dec 17, 2013 9:27 am

Would be shocked if a travel partner didn't cancel miles / points transfed in from a CC partner, if notified by the CC partner.

Just part of an overall tightening which will continue.

Dr Jabadski Dec 17, 2013 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 21981127)
Would be shocked if a travel partner didn't cancel miles / points transfed in from a CC partner, if notified by the CC partner.

This goes against all conventional wisdom. Certainly miles/points transferred to a travel partner 10 years prior to CC account closure would be safe. Given the case of annual 50,000 transfers, all earned through spending, and then CC account closure and blacklisting, how long after such a transfer would you “be shocked if a travel partner didn't cancel miles / points transferred in”?

TTnC4me Dec 17, 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 21954279)

I have some swampland to sell you.
Just because more shutdowns aren't advertised doesn't mean they're not happening. It's getting ugly.

augustus21 Dec 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by brettskyg (Post 21981077)
Spoke with executive offices today. Not offered any explanation. Was told this was not for perk abuse, but rather for unexpected spending. Reading between the lines it sounds like it was because I had several accounts, with very little spending on them. They will not return my annual fees even though I only have 4-6 months of use of the cards. They said they are entitled to keep them. They are not returning my points.

It sounds like you were out-spending your "spending profile." What was your spending compared to reported income?

Chase also looks at your spending over time. If you started out at $1,000 per month for several months, and then started spending $10,000 each month, alarms might go off. This is why some people advise big spending when you first open the card.

Originally Posted by TTnC4me (Post 21982000)
I have some swampland to sell you.
Just because more shutdowns aren't advertised doesn't mean they're not happening. It's getting ugly.

These are isolated incidents of people pushing the envelope and getting shutdown because of that behavior. In brettskyg's instance, it sounds like he pushed too hard. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

brettskyg Dec 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Income was 100% inline with spending. Nothing was crazy. Spent maybe 10-15% of income on cards.

snic Dec 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by brettskyg (Post 21981077)
They will not return my annual fees even though I only have 4-6 months of use of the cards. They said they are entitled to keep them. They are not returning my points.

That sounds like it's blatantly illegal. I mean, if I sold you a prepaid subscription to Time magazine for 1 year and then I canceled it because I no longer happen to like you as a customer, and then refused to refund any part of what you paid, that would be called fraud with a capital F.

Now, if you did something that violates your agreement with Chase, it's a different story. From what you've said so far, Chase hasn't accused you of anything like that, so I am baffled as to why they would refuse to refund your annual fees.

There are reports on this forum of people who successfully sued Chase to get their points back (or the cash value of those points) when Chase unilaterally closed their accounts.