FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-archived-2013-mid-2019-a.html)

josephstern Apr 1, 2014 12:01 pm

mintcilantro -

Any deposit accounts with Chase?

mintcilantro Apr 1, 2014 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk (Post 22629375)
What about your payments? How did you pay Chase? Somebody suggested that my Walmart billpay caused my shutdown - I was never heavy in office spending. Chase Gift cards - yes, but it stopped in Sep and I got shut down in Dec

Come to think of it, this could be a problem. I had been making payments with bluebird accounts that are not in my name.

I haven't done any walmart bill pay. Other payments were ACH pull from non-chase accounts.

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 22629665)
mintcilantro -

Any deposit accounts with Chase?

chase was my primary checking for salary DD. I had made occasional cash and MO deposit but had not done anything in last few months. I did have some AP DD into chase. I also used to receive chase quick pay from AP friends.

oohaahouch Apr 1, 2014 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 22625947)
I got shutdown by Chase last week. I just got back from my japan trip where I spent 5 fabulous nights in Hyatts thanks to Chase Ink.

While I was away, I got a letter in the mail from chase saying my checking and saving account will be closed. The letter was from operational loss prevention.

So I logged in online and looks like all my CCs have been closed. I had 5 personal and ink plus. I was able to transfer 40k+ UR to wife's UA account. I had a decent history with chase, CC since 2008 and checking since 2011.

I think it was due to buying 6k in offfice supplies last month. I used to spend 3-5k at 711 which they clearly didn't mind. 5x probably got me in trouble.

I'm pretty bummed. I was really counting on the annual free nights from fairmont and IHG (as wife has those cards as well).

I earned 500k UR points in last two years and booked 4 biz awards to asia on ua.

are we at a point where 6k/mo in 5x is getting us shut down :confused:

augustus21 Apr 1, 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch (Post 22629732)
are we at a point where 6k/mo in 5x is getting us shut down

Depends on the cardholder and their spending pattern. It's entirely YMMV.

sfmom Apr 1, 2014 2:54 pm

Did you mix the office supply purchases with regular 1x spend?

In the last couple of weeks I've come across two different posts saying they got trouble for Ink Bold office spending, though in those cases they were just denied more cards and one also had many other accounts. This is the first report I've seen of a closure.

Wonder if Chase is starting to crack down...

mintcilantro Apr 1, 2014 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by sfmom (Post 22630887)
Did you mix the office supply purchases with regular 1x spend?

In the last couple of weeks I've come across two different posts saying they got trouble for Ink Bold office spending, though in those cases they were just denied more cards and one also had many other accounts. This is the first report I've seen of a closure.

Wonder if Chase is starting to crack down...

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 22630675)
Depends on the cardholder and their spending pattern. It's entirely YMMV.

I agree.. I thought I was ok since my card had been open for > 1yr, and I had primed it with gas station spend. My oldest card with them is close to 6 years.

I took too many chances.. too many new accounts. mostly 5x spend, and wasn't really using my other chase cards and balances were reported on other accounts.

sfmom Apr 1, 2014 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 22630964)
I agree.. I thought I was ok since my card had been open for > 1yr, and I had primed it with gas station spend. My oldest card with them is close to 6 years.

I took too many chances.. too many new accounts. mostly 5x spend, and wasn't really using my other chase cards and balances were reported on other accounts.

Thank you for your timely reply. Not too many people have gotten in trouble for Inking gift cards in the past from what I can tell, so I don't think your actions were that crazy. Sorry that you got targeted.

josephstern Apr 1, 2014 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 22629677)
chase was my primary checking for salary DD. I had made occasional cash and MO deposit but had not done anything in last few months. I did have some AP DD into chase. I also used to receive chase quick pay from AP friends.

I'm starting to think that the pattern is, ANY MO deposits at all are suicide at Chase.

Is your Chase checking still open, or did that get closed also or earlier?

StartinSanDiego Apr 1, 2014 5:23 pm

I have rental properties and get several MO's every month. MO's, for me, are quite normal and commonplace. The volume is not huge (in MS terms, that is...), just a few thousand per month. I never gave this a thought until reading FT.

If you don't mind me asking-- did you have any odd experiences at Chase? Like a teller that seemed to think this was out of the ordinary and requested an FR? What was your volume?

mintcilantro Apr 1, 2014 5:45 pm

My total MO deposits to chase are no more than 5k total. I used other accounts for depositing MO. I would only deposit to Chase in case i was going to have a shortfall for an upcoming payment and the deposits were done at ATM. My cash deposits were 1k to 2k at a time and no more than once or twice a month. Never got an odd look from anyone.

I had read all the warning posts and had moved majority of MS activitiy away from chase checking. What probably happened was my high office supply spend caught their eye and the manual review uncovered my MS.

I'll never know what happened but that's what I think. I think most people be careful of following activities
- AoR with too many cards. Unfortunately I opened 7 cards in last 3 months (due to citi aa 100k appearing just after my 5 app aor).
- pay off balances as soon as you can (I did this with chase but not with other issuers)
- spending more than CL esp in bonused categories
- checking account activity that can give any whiff of MS (AP, quick pay, cash/MO deposits, payments to multiple CCs)
- payments to Chase CCs in cash/MO or from accounts not in your name (e.g. BB that's not your own).

I think if you are doing only one or two of above, it will not likely cause problems. But if you get caught with multiple of those, you could get in trouble.

Ultimately, this is all speculation but it pays to be careful with Chase. Don't ask for large sample sizes and data points. It is common sense that I didn't follow.

I'm glad I took advice from other FTers and didn't close my citi AA cards after getting the 100k bonus. You can do that successfully but it is asking for trouble. Now, I'm counting on Citi/Amex for my churning, so I will not be too aggressive with them

Artemk Apr 1, 2014 8:51 pm

Correct me if you think I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that once card is issued, they only look at your Chase activities. They can't pull your credit every month to see how you are doing with other banks.

So, account closures has to do with Chase activities - CC payment, MO deposits, etc.

skibum7732 Apr 1, 2014 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk (Post 22632739)
Correct me if you think I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that once card is issued, they only look at your Chase activities. They can't pull your credit every month to see how you are doing with other banks.

So, account closures has to do with Chase activities - CC payment, MO deposits, etc.

they can perform soft pulls anytime they want and most cc issuers do this periodically

UA Fan Apr 1, 2014 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 22631857)
Unfortunately I opened 7 cards in last 3 months (due to citi aa 100k appearing just after my 5 app aor).

With whom? What do you mean by the bolded?

zipo Apr 1, 2014 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch (Post 22629732)
are we at a point where 6k/mo in 5x is getting us shut down :confused:

I spend 2500 on phones which also has 5x every month no problem

newcomerR Apr 1, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi, a new lurker here. I was told by Chase Fraud Prevention (not operational loss) that they will close my checking account. From what I read above it seems likely that they will eventually close my credit cards too... Can someone please explain the sequence of typical Chase shut down event?

Specifically,
A) Is it 10 'calendar' or 'bank business' days after the checking account freeze that the checking account will be closed?
B) Do credit card freezes start on the day of checking account closure? Or some days later?
C) How many days do they give for me pay the card balances without interest?
D) UR points will not be redeemable at any point after card freezes - correct?

Thanks!