Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Chase Marriott

I asked this on the Marriott forum but got no response. Sorry to re-post here.

I had a Chase Marriott Rewards Visa card for 10+ years, cancelled in 2008. I don't know if I received a signup bonus or any annual bonuses (I didn't pay very close attention back then). I'm considering returning to Marriott & have several questions.

1. Can I receive the signup bonus for the Marriott Rewards Visa Signature card (seems close to the card I had, but a newer graphic design and some different benefits/fees than I recall from 2008)? Does Chase consider this to be the same product?
2. Same question for MR Premier Visa. I'm pretty sure this is a different product and should be eligible for a new signup bonus.

Plan would be primarily to just harvest the signup bonuses after required spend, cancel/downgrade when the annual fees come due.
Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:47 pm

Yes. Chase policy is typically 2 years for not honoring "new card sign-up bonuses". Your well over double that, so you should be just fine.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Yes. Chase policy is typically 2 years for not honoring "new card sign-up bonuses". Your well over double that, so you should be just fine.

Do you know this from personal experience? I have read on these boards that Chase never gives a promotion twice for the same card.

I had a regular Marriott card around 2009, and then got the Marriott Premier in 2012. But those are considered different products. And Marriott did not give me the free night because I had gotten a free night in 2009.

I am just curious because there are several people posting that Chase remembers a bonus for two years, but I have not seen anyone say that he or she personally has gotten a second bonus after 2 years.

Thanks. I am just trying to figure this out.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by jeanie
Do you know this from personal experience? I have read on these boards that Chase never gives a promotion twice for the same card.

I had a regular Marriott card around 2009, and then got the Marriott Premier in 2012. But those are considered different products. And Marriott did not give me the free night because I had gotten a free night in 2009.

I am just curious because there are several people posting that Chase remembers a bonus for two years, but I have not seen anyone say that he or she personally has gotten a second bonus after 2 years.

Thanks. I am just trying to figure this out.

Same here. And for the better part, the REAL reason why people have gotten the points a second (or third!!) time is because the card got reissued. This happened with BA and the UA cards.

Most people who claim to have gotten the bonus twice, could simply have gotten it because of this.

I have yet to have someone tell me- Look, I had the Chase Saphhire Preferred and cancelled in 2010 and reapplied now and got the bonus.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jeanie
Do you know this from personal experience?
I love the friendly approach on some of these boards.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by deant
I love the friendly approach on some of these boards.

Are you trying to say I am rude by making a rude comment of your own?

It was a legitimate question, not meant to be rude in any way. There are a ton of unconfirmed rumors on this board that pass on incorrect information. It is hard to wade through it sometimes.

I was just trying to find out if the poster had first hand experience. That's it. If he did, then that would be a good point for me to know because I had heard differently. That way I would know which information is true.

Posts on message boards can be read and interpreted lots of ways. Instead of assuming the worst intentions, maybe it would be nice to assume the best intentions every once in a while.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:14 pm

You may want to take a look at the Marriott forum again. It looks like there is a poster who has gotten 2 Marriott cards and a Ritz card (Ritz is part of Marriott) in the past year or two. This is a new data point, and it is too early to tell if he is just a lucky exception or if this is new policy.

In the past, the thought was the Chase Marriott card would not give the bonus for the same card twice. Hopefully, that may be changing. His cards were all Premier Visa cards. One person does not necessarily mean a trend is happening, though.

Originally Posted by jc719
I asked this on the Marriott forum but got no response. Sorry to re-post here.

I had a Chase Marriott Rewards Visa card for 10+ years, cancelled in 2008. I don't know if I received a signup bonus or any annual bonuses (I didn't pay very close attention back then). I'm considering returning to Marriott & have several questions.

1. Can I receive the signup bonus for the Marriott Rewards Visa Signature card (seems close to the card I had, but a newer graphic design and some different benefits/fees than I recall from 2008)? Does Chase consider this to be the same product?
2. Same question for MR Premier Visa. I'm pretty sure this is a different product and should be eligible for a new signup bonus.

Plan would be primarily to just harvest the signup bonuses after required spend, cancel/downgrade when the annual fees come due.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.