Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rental car insurance when paid with UR points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:30 am
Original Poster

I always decline extra insurance at the counter when using certain cards for auto rental as the card provides what I need,but, if car is paid for with UR points what if any coverage is there?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by scoobaboy
I always decline extra insurance at the counter when using certain cards for auto rental as the card provides what I need,but, if car is paid for with UR points what if any coverage is there?
None unless you pay for it. This is why I usually pay with a card that covers me.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by philemer
None unless you pay for it. This is why I usually pay with a card that covers me.
+1

Sometimes I charge my car rental to my card and then, if nothing happens, use points for reimbursement. So, in essence, insurance costs me the 20% bonus I would get if I paid with points to start with.

But, usually, I save my points for paying for airfare and get the 20% bonus (when the cost of airfare make it better than an award ticket .... which, unfortunately, doesn't happen much anymore).

FYI - Edited to add:

With the Chase Sapphire Premier credit card when you use your Ultimate Rewards to book travel directly (air, hotel, car, etc) thru the Chase Ultimate Rewards site, you get a 20% bonus; for example, a $50 car rental requires just 4000 points. However, if I charge the rental to the card and then later reimburse myself using points (thru the "Pay Yourself Back" option), a $50 credit requires 5000 points.

But that's with the Chase Sapphire Premier credit card. If you have the "regular" Chase Sapphire credit card, you don't get that 20% bonus.

So, bottom line is, if you have the "regular" card, you should always charge the car rental to the credit card and then, if nothing happens, use points for reimbursement.

In hindsight, I guess I could/should have mentioned that ....

Last edited by jgxtrav1; Jun 24, 2013 at 3:37 am Reason: Specified Chase Sapphire Premier credit card needed for 20% bonus
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I was informed by my insurance broker that when you rent a car using award miles you do not have insurance coverage from the underlying miles credit card. Completely changed my use of awards for car rentals.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:19 pm

conflicting!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
From the program guide for CSR:

Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit.
Nothing conflicting here. Pay with the card? You're covered. Pay with points? You aren't.

Neil
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
From the program guide for CSR:

Nothing conflicting here. Pay with the card? You're covered. Pay with points? You aren't.

Neil
I think you make sense and I see the same thing on the "benefit guide" booklet of CSR. But you have Chase's paid spokesperson like TPG saying points rental from CSP & CSR give you primary collision coverage when booking with points and MMS saying the same thing although they have no source!

Very confused!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
...Chase's paid spokesperson like TPG
A blogger is not a paid spokesperson for a card issuer, no matter how much commission they earn from card applications. Chase's own marketing people are not an authoritative source of information about insurance benefits. The benefits are provided by an insurance company, not by Chase.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Another alternative is to buy an annual rental car insurance plan. That may cover rental cars paid with points.

Frequently I rent cars from portals outside of the US for even my US car rentals and then it's not uncommon for my rental car costs to drop and even include some types of insurance as part of the rate plan.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Another possibility is that rentals paid with points through the Chase portal are actually paid with the Chase card, and the points are used to offset the card transaction. Does a charge/credit appear on the card?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mia
Another possibility is that rentals paid with points through the Chase portal are actually paid with the Chase card, and the points are used to offset the card transaction. Does a charge/credit appear on the card?
Not as far as I remember. It's been awhile since I've booked a car with pts but I'll say "no" if you book 100% of the cost with pts.

I will not take a chance and only use a c.c. for my car rentals.

Activities are a good use of pts however. I'm going to book snorkel cruises & whale watching trips with mine. a 50% savings is pretty sweet. The balance will eventually be xferred to airlines & hotels.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:16 pm

I asked chase twitter who asked me to call travel dept and was transferred to benefit dept. The benefit dept rep told me points rental from the CSR is also treated like paid with the card so therefore you are covered with primary collision! I suggested to the rep that the T&C or the benefit guide should include that specific language!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by philemer
Not true. If you pay with points from CSR, you're covered.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I think you make sense and I see the same thing on the "benefit guide" booklet of CSR. But you have Chase's paid spokesperson like TPG saying points rental from CSP & CSR give you primary collision coverage when booking with points and MMS saying the same thing although they have no source!

Very confused!
IIRC, MMS's source was just a rep on the 800 line (disclosed in the comments of that blog post). TPG's source, I believe, was MMS. Though they may be right, I trust neither. Until I have more concrete proof, I pay for all my car rentals.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mia
Last year, I booked a cheap flight using UR points through the portal. On the receipt, I could see that it was paid for using a Chase card, but not my Chase card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.