Wiki Posts
Search

Ink Bold on H1 Visa

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Ink Bold on H1 Visa

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience getting the Ink Bold card while on a work visa (H1). Since you're not technically allowed to earn income outside that of your sponsored employer I'm wondering if its ok as long as you put your business income as $0?
Old May 7, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
No experience but I would think you would be asking for trouble - either from Chase or the Government. Applying for a business card implies that you have a business and you are, as a minimum, trying to make money from the business. If the Government was to ask why a business card, what would you say?
Old May 7, 2013, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

I'm assuming that telling the government I wanted to reap the rewards of the 5x office supply category wouldn't go too well
Old May 7, 2013, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Timar
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience getting the Ink Bold card while on a work visa (H1). Since you're not technically allowed to earn income outside that of your sponsored employer I'm wondering if its ok as long as you put your business income as $0?
Bank do not care what kind of visa you have as long as you have a SSN and physical address in US. I know a guy with B1 visa got ink bold.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
Bank do not care what kind of visa you have as long as you have a SSN and physical address in US. I know a guy with B1 visa got ink bold.
Nor should the government care what kind of credit cards you have.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
Wouldn't it be considered fraud since I'm applying for a business credit card with no intent or ability to actually operate a business in the US?
Old May 8, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Wouldn't it be considered fraud since I'm applying for a business credit card with no intent or ability to actually operate a business in the US?
I believe you can operate a US business as long as you personally don't do work for the business while physically present in the US. I believe you can form a company, hire employees including a general manager to oversee everything, and do whatever work you personally need to do (if any) from overseas. You don't need any visa for that. You can be even present in the US for other unrelated reasons, such as working for a sponsoring employer under an H1.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
I have one colleague on H1 Visa that owns and ink bold. She's also quite an avid churner.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
for this sole reason i am not applying for business cards,as i am not comfortable with that idea,even though i have ssn and been living here more than 10 years
Old May 8, 2013, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bacopa
I have one colleague on H1 Visa that owns and ink bold. She's also quite an avid churner.
Did they simply apply as sole proprietor and put $0 income?
Old May 13, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
Did they simply apply as sole proprietor and put $0 income?
did you apply for ink card
Old May 13, 2013, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newbieflyer1
did you apply for ink card
no I did not apply yet, still unsure if its a good idea or not
Old May 14, 2013, 3:09 pm

To each his own but I think its an overkill to worry about this - especially when our esteemed politicians are planning to bestow amnesty on millions including several who stole SSN.

Hopefully the thread does not go off-track but just saying
Old May 20, 2013, 8:59 pm

CaptainMiles is correct.

Please be advised that I am not your lawyer, and you are not my client. This is not legal advice. I am speaking to a larger point, which should not be construed as personal legal advice. Your best advice before doing anything is to consult with an immigration lawyer.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:41 pm

I am on work visa in US and have Canadian rental properties for which I use no foreign currency fee US credit cards for maintaining and repair expense payments. I declare my rental income on US tax return and have not been audited or questioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.