Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Exceeding Chase credit limit in monthly cycle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:59 am
Original Poster

I'm about to book ~$14K in travel, but my credit limit on Sapphire Preferred is only $10K. I was planning to book half, pay that off immediately, then book the other half as soon as the payment processed.

But then I thought I remembered seeing someone say Chase got jammed up about exceeding your credit limit in a monthly cycle, even if you pay it all off as you go. Am I mistaken, or is this the case? I have to book this all before my next statement period begins, and I'd prefer not to miss out on UR points by booking a portion on a less lucrative card.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
If it is a Visa Signature then just put it all on there.

(I've called Chase before to find out what the secret sauce is behind the "no limit" on the signature- how high can I really go- and they couldn't answer. I've gone to 9K on a card with a 5K limit though.)
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call Chase and tell them what you want to do. They may well simply give you a one-time credit extension to $14K for the specified vendor (air carrier).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:03 pm

I've run into this issue before with the United Club Visa Signature card. Mr. love2ft went $6K over the $30K limit so I called Chase to see if we would have any issues. The CSR said she would note the large ($20K) charge on our account and everything should be fine. I tried to press her on what's the actual limit on the account, but she said it was based on several factors she couldn't disclose. I asked what would've happened had I not called in and she said Chase would've sent us a letter requesting us to pay down the balance.

Like other posters have mentioned, your best bet is to just call Chase.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it possible to do a "push" payment from your bank to Chase to pre-pay the $14K charge? Or maybe even whatever is above the CL?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Easy enough. Quick call to Chase, and I was good to go. Like others, I wasn't given an exact limit, but the 14K went through without issue this afternoon.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Is it possible to do a "push" payment from your bank to Chase to pre-pay the $14K charge? Or maybe even whatever is above the CL?
Don't do this -- banks have shut accounts down for this behavior.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:55 pm
Suspended

I ran about 4x the credit limit one month while doing the OD/BB dance, no problems.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Don't do this -- banks have shut accounts down for this behavior.
I've done this multiple times, without even contacting the banks. It's not one size fit all ... I've even had Amex give me the okay for prepaying a large transaction I wanted to put on the credit card.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
I've done this multiple times, without even contacting the banks. It's not one size fit all ... I've even had Amex give me the okay for prepaying a large transaction I wanted to put on the credit card.
Sure, I'm not saying that it definitely WILL cause you to get shut down -- but I've heard reports of people getting shut down where this was explicitly cited as the reason, and that's enough evidence for me to recommend against it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.