FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1407691-official-ur-hotel-airline-xfer-only-self-spouse-domestic-partner.html)

mia Apr 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 20620032)
...I think all other partners are those who use Chase for their credit card.

Except Korean Air

UA Fan Apr 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20620040)
Except Korean Air

Good catch. Looks like they are realizing the importance of more transfer partners.

mia Apr 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 20620060)
... realizing the importance of more transfer partners.

I think Korean Air was added because Chase recognized the importance of covering all three airline alliances. Virgin Atlantic gives Ultimate Rewards access to Virgin America, Virgin Australia and some other independent airlines. It seems safe to assume that VS miles will eventually be redeemable for travel on Delta, and (perhaps) on Air France, KLM or Alitalia, even if they do not join SkyTeam.

http://www.eglobaltravelmedia.com.au...-alitalia.html

CherylD Jul 19, 2013 9:36 am

Any recent data on transferring UR -> UA on another person's account? In particular, DS needs a few miles and I'd like to give them to him this way. Same last name and address. Thank you!

augustus21 Jul 19, 2013 11:45 am

Originally Posted by CherylD (Post 21124523)
Any recent data on transferring UR -> UA on another person's account? In particular, DS needs a few miles and I'd like to give them to him this way. Same last name and address. Thank you!

Not allowed. See the rest of this thread.

vodkashine Jul 19, 2013 11:52 am

From the UR FAQ:Ultimate Rewards point transfer features are designed to allow our cardmembers to take advantage of the rewards they earn. The features are not intended to allow transfers to third parties other than a spouse or domestic partner of the cardmember. Transfers to unauthorized third parties or any other abuse of the Ultimate Rewards program may result in suspension or termination of the ability to participate in the program and forfeiture of points already earned.

Originally Posted by CherylD (Post 21124523)

mia Jul 19, 2013 11:53 am

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 21125252)
Not allowed.

While not allowed, it works, and no one has reported any negative consequences when transferring to another person's airline, hotel or Amtrak account. Negative consequences have been reported when transferring to another person's Ultimate Rewards account, and that is discussed in another thread.

I believe CherylD is asking if anyone has recent experiences to confirm that there is still no consequence.

CherylD Jul 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 21125288)
While not allowed, it works, and no one has reported any negative consequences when transferring to another person's airline, hotel or Amtrak account. Negative consequences have been reported when transferring to another person's Ultimate Rewards account, and that is discussed in another thread.

I believe CherylD is asking if anyone has recent experiences to confirm that there is still no consequence.

Yes, exactly. Thank you mia!

Brendan Jul 19, 2013 8:35 pm

CherylD, given that his last name & address are the same as yours, Chase would probably assume that he's your husband or domestic partner, so no problem! BTW, what does "DS" mean?? Domestic Servant? ;)

brg Jul 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 20347672)
I'm tempted to do some experiments but the lifetime ban scares me. I'm going to empty out my UR accounts and use them up for an award booking. I was going to try
1. Add A as AU on Ink and transfer UR point to A's UA account (valuable)
2. Add A as AU on Ink card. Transfer from A's freedom to A's Ink card (as my AU) and then transfer large combined UR stash to A's UA account.

Can anyone tell me if this is OK?
We are now in the process of getting the UA accounts full enough for awards after some 30k and 50k bonuses. We still need Ultimate Rewards to fill the accounts to the correct / needed levels.
Does this strategy help ?
When you add an authorized user, do they get their own UR account, or does it all go to the main card holders account?
So when you send UR to UR in the same name (so that it will not increase risk) are you sending to the user or to the main card and does Chase know that you are breaking the terms?
I wonder if their computer system sees it as A to A transfer of UR (OK)
or as a A-B transfer of UR (not OK) !!
Thanks in advance

jatink129 Jul 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by brg (Post 21131613)
Can anyone tell me if this is OK?
We are now in the process of getting the UA accounts full enough for awards after some 30k and 50k bonuses. We still need Ultimate Rewards to fill the accounts to the correct / needed levels.
Does this strategy help ?
When you add an authorized user, do they get their own UR account, or does it all go to the main card holders account?
So when you send UR to UR in the same name (so that it will not increase risk) are you sending to the user or to the main card and does Chase know that you are breaking the terms?
I wonder if their computer system sees it as A to A transfer of UR (OK)
or as a A-B transfer of UR (not OK) !!
Thanks in advance

You're confusing yourself there.

If you're adding Person A..Let's call him Scott, as an authorized user then Scott gets a duplicate of your credit card.
Any purchases that Scott makes, appear on your credit card statement. Any UR points he earns, are accumulated in your UR account. This is because he's basically using your card...except that it has his name printed on it.
That's it.

He doesn't get a separate Chase account when he's made an AU. He doesn't even get access to your Chase account either.

If Scott has his own Chase account with his own credit cards, then that account is separate from your account. By adding Scott as an AU, you're in no way connecting your account to his.

So if you transfer UR points to HIS account, it will always show up as Mr.BRG-->Scott.

If you want to transfer UR points to Scott's account then you always run the risk of Chase closing your account. I recently did it, and nothing happened to my account, but that's because I transferred the points to my mothers account and we share the same billing address and last name.

The best option to transfer points to Scott is to just transfer it to his FF account, because though you require a name while completing the transfer, it will only appear as "online redemption" in your UR account and not as Mr.BRG-->Scott.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

CherylD Jul 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 21127561)
CherylD, given that his last name & address are the same as yours, Chase would probably assume that he's your husband or domestic partner, so no problem! BTW, what does "DS" mean?? Domestic Servant? ;)

Thanks Brendan..DS=Dear Son. That was an assumption on my part due to the proliferation of DH, DW and DD's that I see. Domestic Servant is a good one though!

compddd Jul 23, 2013 8:26 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 21125288)

Do you have the link to that other thread where's its discussed about UR to UR transfers?

friedablass Jul 23, 2013 9:07 am

Originally Posted by compddd (Post 21144215)
Do you have the link to that other thread where's its discussed about UR to UR transfers?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-accounts.html

philemer Jul 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by CherylD (Post 21139848)
Thanks Brendan..DS=Dear Son. That was an assumption on my part due to the proliferation of DH, DW and DD's that I see. Domestic Servant is a good one though!

I like just "son". It's only one more letter. :)