Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

How many is too many chase cards in 12 months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many is too many chase cards in 12 months?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Hard to answer without knowing what kind of business: sole prop, Sub S, LLC? And is it a risky operation? Those will all factor into the "how long."
It's a sole propietorship, I grosed only 3k so far and I expect 10k by year end. I am full-time employed as well...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

oneworld82 has reported (post 42) the outcome of the application discussed beginning at post 29.

Last edited by mia; Apr 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by oneworld82
I was just denied for an Ink Bold... I opened my first Chase card in September and I have 3 Chase cards, all personal. The credit analyst told me he cannot approve me because:

1. My business is young (established last September, 3k gross so far)
2. My credit history with Chase is short (even too short to transfer credit lines from one card to the other)

Question: does chase run checks on businesses to verify income/sales? I would have been more bullish on my sales estimates but I wanted to be conservative.

How long would you let pass before reapplying?
You probably will be fine if you apply in your next app-o-rama in 3 months or so
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RFFlyer
You probably will be fine if you apply in your next app-o-rama in 3 months or so
I see many ppl without a registered business approved! How ironic haha. Should I be more bullish in my business income? It's a side business after all.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:19 pm
Suspended

It's bothersome not getting 5x bonus at Office Max
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
It's bothersome not getting 5x bonus at Office Max
Don't worry, there will be many more opportunities in the future for you. Try to keep a history with at least Chase, Citi and Amex. If you are really into credit card churning, you should probably try to keep a history with Barclays and BoA also. I would recommend keeping at least one AF free card in each of them or a credit card with AF that you actually are planning to keep in the long run (like many hotel brands credit cards). This will help your history with the main issuers and also help a lot your credit score
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RFFlyer
Don't worry, there will be many more opportunities in the future for you. Try to keep a history with at least Chase, Citi and Amex. If you are really into credit card churning, you should probably try to keep a history with Barclays and BoA also. I would recommend keeping at least one AF free card in each of them or a credit card with AF that you actually are planning to keep in the long run (like many hotel brands credit cards). This will help your history with the main issuers and also help a lot your credit score
How much the real business actually matter in getting approved? I am being a very good customer for Chase, and no balance carried
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I was just denied for an Ink Bold...

How long would you let pass before reapplying?
There is a question on all Chase applications: Have you been denied credit by us in the last 6 months?
I would make sure the answer to that is no.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
There is a question on all Chase applications: Have you been denied credit by us in the last 6 months?
I would make sure the answer to that is no.
That is not a death sentence. When I first started I got denied a Marriott card because an expensive purchase had required a CLI on another card about 20 days prior. I didn't know about recon, so I got rejected since the app was so close to the CLI. I then did some reading and applied for two more cards during that six month period, answering the question accurately. One instant approval (Marriott, 2 months later), one on recon (Hyatt, month 5 from the denial).

You take your chances . . . .
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:57 am

Datapoint:

I just got declined on an Ink Plus reconsideration call. This is my first decline in the 2.5 years of reading about sign up bonuses through FT. The questioning about my "business" went very smoothly since I applied and was approved for the Ink Bold 5 months ago and was well prepared for for the questions. The Chase rep said she couldn't approve me because I opened 11 new cards (from various banks) in the past 12 months and that they needed to "mature" before I could be approved. I offered to transfer some of my credit line from other Chase cards and she wouldn't budge. I currently have 3 personal Chase CC's and the Ink Bold. The Bold was opened ~5 months ago and another personal card was opened ~2 months ago. The other Chase two cards are more than a year old. Just to reiterate, the sole reason she gave me for declining my application was too many new cards in the past 12 months, nothing Chase specific or even related to opening the Ink Bold 5 months ago. In fact, she didn't even see my Ink Bold card until I mentioned it.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by anders228
Datapoint:

I just got declined on an Ink Plus reconsideration call. This is my first decline in the 2.5 years of reading about sign up bonuses through FT. The questioning about my "business" went very smoothly since I applied and was approved for the Ink Bold 5 months ago and was well prepared for for the questions. The Chase rep said she couldn't approve me because I opened 11 new cards (from various banks) in the past 12 months and that they needed to "mature" before I could be approved. I offered to transfer some of my credit line from other Chase cards and she wouldn't budge. I currently have 3 personal Chase CC's and the Ink Bold. The Bold was opened ~5 months ago and another personal card was opened ~2 months ago. The other Chase two cards are more than a year old. Just to reiterate, the sole reason she gave me for declining my application was too many new cards in the past 12 months, nothing Chase specific or even related to opening the Ink Bold 5 months ago. In fact, she didn't even see my Ink Bold card until I mentioned it.

hang up, call again.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:15 pm

I have a Chase Business Marriott. I want to open a Chase Sapphire (personal), a Chase Ink Bold Business and a Chase Marriott (personal) card. So, in the end, I would have 2 Chase personal and 2 Chase business.

How far apart to I need to space the apps? Is it better to apply for 2 in the same day, then wait 30+ days and then apply for the third?
Old May 5, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Originally Posted by CrazyFoool
hang up, call again.
I could have written anders' post word for word. The exact same thing happened to me, except I had already been approved for a MP Explorer card not five minutes earlier. The rep saw the Explorer approval, but would not approve me for the exact same reason. I HUCAed and got a somewhat salty rep the second time who saw the previous call in the history and said he could not do a thing about it. With the Explorer, I'm also at three personal and one business card with Chase in the last 12 months. I've heard of other having more Chase cards, but we never really discuss how spread out they are.

My recon has since been bumped to the EO. In my initial talk with them, I discovered that my Ink Plus app had been submitted under my SSN instead of my EIN and that may have made the difference. I'm hoping for a call on Monday with an approval.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
My experience:

2012 2. United, CSP
2012 4. Freedom, Marriott
2012 6. Ink bold, BA
2012 9. Ink plus, PC(traded marriott)
2012 12. Hyatt
2013 4 United business, CSP mastercard(traded BA and downgrade CSP visa to freedom)

Total 11, closed 2 for two new cards.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
That is not a death sentence. When I first started I got denied a Marriott card because an expensive purchase had required a CLI on another card about 20 days prior. I didn't know about recon, so I got rejected since the app was so close to the CLI. I then did some reading and applied for two more cards during that six month period, answering the question accurately. One instant approval (Marriott, 2 months later), one on recon (Hyatt, month 5 from the denial).

You take your chances . . . .
Interesting, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.