Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Primary rental car coverage CDW with United Explorer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For general questions about the concept of rental car coverage (Collision Damage Waiver / CDW) such as limits, process, and philosophy vs. relying on one's own insurance policy, see:

Best CC for “primary” rental car CDW insurance? (WIKI)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Primary rental car coverage CDW with United Explorer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Question [Consolidated] Primary rental car coverage CDW with United Explorer

The Chase website states that the United MilagePlus Explorer card offers primary collision rental coverage. However, the Benefits Guide they sent states that the coverage is secondary.

So I called Chase and, after being passed to 5 reps (some of whom stated that the coverage is secondary), I was told that the benefits guide I received was the wrong one and that the card does offer primary coverage.

Now, looking through threads on this forum, I see references to the primary coverage "going away". Can someone clarify this?

Last edited by kensmiles; Jun 24, 2012 at 3:39 am
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Chase MileagePlus Explorer and Car Rental Insurance

Hi all. The Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card has been touted as having primary car rental collision insurance (as opposed to secondary). However, I noticed that this is no longer listed on the chase online benefits page.

http://www4.chasecreditcards.com/MPY...rce=navigation

[Edit: A reply noticed that "primary auto rental coverage" is still listed under "Enjoy the assurances of better protection". Unless I missed it though, "primary" was not mentioned in the written Guide to Benefits I quote below...]

Also, when I obtained by benefits listing in writing, I noticed the wording under "Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver":

"In your country of residence, this benefit is supplemental to, and excess of, any valid and collectible insurance from any other source"
and
"We will reimburse only for that damage or theft not payable by any other party"
and
"What is not covered?" ""Expenses reimbursable by your insurer, employer, or employer's insurance."

Sounds like secondary coverage to me... Am I misinterpreting or did Chase change its terms recently?

Last edited by SFOPhD; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:08 am Reason: response to Chase website correction
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I still see it on the link you gave, at the bottom:

Enjoy the assurances of better protection
Spend and travel without worry with exceptional purchase and travel protection benefits, including purchase protection and primary auto rental coverage.
As to your written benefits, are you sure you're looking at the right card? Not every card is covered under those benefits, especially if it's a conversion from a year or more back.

If there's a change, it'll make the Explorer way less valuable.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:04 am

I'm staring at the "United MileagePlus Card" Guide to Benefits in effect as of 03/20/12. The included letter references the account ending with the same four digits as my Explorer card... Do you think I'm misreading the T&C?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I'm staring at the "United MileagePlus Card" Guide to Benefits in effect as of 03/20/12. The included letter references the account ending with the same four digits as my Explorer card... Do you think I'm misreading the T&C?
Wondering if they sent you the wrong document.

My Guide to Benefits of 03/20/12 is labeled "United MileagePlus Explorer Card" - with the word "Explorer" in there - and specifically states "This benefit is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured."
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:20 am

Thanks for the feedback. I hope they sent me the wrong guide...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:23 am

The people at the 800-number for the benefits provider have been helpful for me in the past. Maybe call them up and have them check the benefits for you? They should be able to tell you what their computer shows linked to your particular card, by number.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Passport Platinum, IHG Platinum and Club Carlson Gold
I think we are talking about two different cards. The United MileagePlus Card vs the United MIleagePlus Explorer Card. BTW, I previously had a Continental OnePass Mastercard in which the benefits guide clearly stated primary coverage for auto rentals and trip delay insurance (which is important to me as this is a benefit most cards do not have). Although my statements now say United Card on them, I still have not received my United Explorer Card or the Explorer benefits guide. If the Explorer card does not offer primary coverage for auto rentals and trip delay insurance I will cancel the card when my annual fee comes due.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by richardvf
BTW, I previously had a Continental OnePass Mastercard in which the benefits guide clearly stated primary coverage for auto rentals and trip delay insurance (which is important to me as this is a benefit most cards do not have). Although my statements now say United Card on them, I still have not received my United Explorer Card or the Explorer benefits guide.
I also had a OnePass MC conversion. As I recall, the new benefits statement was in the envelope with the replacement card - the one with the new blue "MileagePlus Explorer" design. Same card number and all, just a new design and the new benefits statement.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:36 am

When did you receive your new Explorer card? Was it MasterCard or a Visa? Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:29 am

When did you receive your new Explorer card? Was it MasterCard or a Visa? Thanks.
Not certain when. I would guess July or August 2012. It's still a MasterCard, which often draws odd looks, since people expect a Visa...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:15 pm

Thanks for the update. Chase customer service told me that the OnePass Mastercard would convert to an Explorer Mastercard (as opposed to Visa), but you are the first customer who confirmed this. I would prefer a Visa, but Chase Customer service told me that they could not convert my Explorer Mastercard to an Explorer Visa without another application, which would obviously require another hard pull. I have read on other Blogs that you can obtain another sign-up bonus if you have an Explorer Mastercard and apply for a Visa as they are different products, but I have not been able to confirm whether or not this is in fact true.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:13 pm

I have read on other Blogs that you can obtain another sign-up bonus if you have an Explorer Mastercard and apply for a Visa as they are different products, but I have not been able to confirm whether or not this is in fact true.
Is there any particular reason you'd prefer a Visa?

The official T&Cs set a particular cut-off date for your OnePass application - July x, 2011 as I recall - after which you could not later receive the Explorer bonus. It's unclear if it's being enforced tho.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:39 pm

The Visa Signature benefits just seem to be a little bit better than MasterCard World benefits (especially with regard to car rental protection). However, it is not enough for me to apply for a new Explorer card just to have a Visa. I am aware of the July 2011 deadline to receive a signup bonus for both the OnePass MasterCard and the Explorer Visa. It would be nice to confirm whether or not this deadline is enforced.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:08 pm

The Visa Signature benefits just seem to be a little bit better than MasterCard World benefits (especially with regard to car rental protection).
Keep in mind that, while the general Visa Signature benefits (like the luxury hotels collection and BOGO movie tickets) won't apply with the Mastercard - that the car rental insurance is NOT the standard policy offered by either MC or Visa. It's a custom Chase policy. So both the MC and Visa versions have that same custom policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.