Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase application pending review [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The thread (and wiki) you should be reading instead of this one is Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present. Do yourself a favor and go there now.
Print Wikipost

Chase application pending review [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:32 am
RNE

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
The 5/24 rule doesn't apply to applications for co-branded cards.
Originally Posted by blitzen
Go back and read some reports
Actually, he's correct. The 5/24 rule doesn't apply to co-branded cards, because it doesn't apply to any cards.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Multiple
Chase Sapphire application was pending. Called and got declined. Reason is too many cards in the past 24 months. When asked what's "too many," they refused to give a number.

Will this affect future application? That also means it's nearly impossible to get a Sapphire card unless you don't open more than ~2 cards a year for two years.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by davidalism
Chase Sapphire application was pending. Called and got declined. Reason is too many cards in the past 24 months. When asked what's "too many," they refused to give a number.

Will this affect future application? That also means it's nearly impossible to get a Sapphire card unless you don't open more than ~2 cards a year for two years.
How many accounts did you open in past two years?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: Multiple
Originally Posted by Red259
How many accounts did you open in past two years?
Many, between 5 - 7 with Chase in the past two years. From some earlier post in this thread, they seem to be also looking at cards opened with other banks. In that case, 10+ cards.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:02 pm
RNE

Naturally, because it's not a global number (such as 5) but algorithmic. And, as we have learned, it's subject to possible exception for Chase's best customers—and fast talkers. Or, both, in my case.

That also means it's nearly impossible to get a Sapphire card unless you don't open more than ~2 cards a year for two years.
It also means one should not blithely cancel any Chase card—lest one not carry it again for a long, long time.

Many, between 5 - 7 with Chase in the past two years. From some earlier post in this thread, they seem to be also looking at cards opened with other banks. In that case, 10+ cards.
What? Now it's not a 5, but a range? Humph. Let's keep the peace by agreeing it's better to have less applications rather than more.

RNE, a peacemaker.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:09 pm

I applied last month for CSP and ink cash….since I have never had ink cash and csp has been closed for 2 years I thought no problem….but like many people I was denied…I knew I wasn’t overextended with chase as I had just closed Marriott business and personal with them and didn’t move the credit limit first. They claimed too many accounts opened in 2 years, not just chase, so I counted and sure enough including 5 cards opened in june 2013 I had a total of 15 new cards (personal and business), but as I pointed out to him, I closed 22 accounts in the same time period…didn’t matter. I also pointed out my 800+ credit score and the fact that I now only have 1 business and 2 personal cards with chase, including a IHG card which is 5+ years old….didn’t matter. I told him I would reallocate my credit limit if needed to make room for the new cards, they said no, that is only an option after approval and I was still denied. They would not tell me how many was too many, but after reading the trend, I fear even after my 5 card apps drop off from 2 years ago in june, wont be enough to approve me…..they then told me the same applied to my business card application (I should have called back to check on it)….I complained that with all the choices chase offers it seems they encourage signing up for multiple cards and changing to other partners offerings, I mentioned they send me offers for new cards all the time…didn’t matter….they said I will get fewer of those after this denial….I think my last comment was “oh well, I guess I will have to look at Amex and Citi products for my future credit needs”
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wise2u
I applied last month for CSP and ink cash….since I have never had ink cash and csp has been closed for 2 years I thought no problem….but like many people I was denied…I knew I wasn’t overextended with chase as I had just closed Marriott business and personal with them and didn’t move the credit limit first. They claimed too many accounts opened in 2 years, not just chase, so I counted and sure enough including 5 cards opened in june 2013 I had a total of 15 new cards (personal and business), but as I pointed out to him, I closed 22 accounts in the same time period…didn’t matter. I also pointed out my 800+ credit score and the fact that I now only have 1 business and 2 personal cards with chase, including a IHG card which is 5+ years old….didn’t matter. I told him I would reallocate my credit limit if needed to make room for the new cards, they said no, that is only an option after approval and I was still denied. They would not tell me how many was too many, but after reading the trend, I fear even after my 5 card apps drop off from 2 years ago in june, wont be enough to approve me…..they then told me the same applied to my business card application (I should have called back to check on it)….I complained that with all the choices chase offers it seems they encourage signing up for multiple cards and changing to other partners offerings, I mentioned they send me offers for new cards all the time…didn’t matter….they said I will get fewer of those after this denial….I think my last comment was “oh well, I guess I will have to look at Amex and Citi products for my future credit needs”
Too bad didn't you didn't call back specifically for the business app. I would have loved to know if maybe they would have let the business card slip through.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:14 am

Thought I'd throw my experience in too. I applied a few days ago for the Freedom and got pending and called recon. He gave me the same line about too many cards in 24 months. I asked how many I had opened and he said 5 (I just started this in January). Two of these were Chase. I then asked how many was too many and he said 4 was the limit and I had one too many for him to approve me.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:43 am
RNE

Originally Posted by wise2u
They claimed too many accounts opened in 2 years, not just chase...I had a total of 15 new cards (personal and business), but as I pointed out to him, I closed 22 accounts in the same time period…didn’t matter.
Sorry you got denied, but, yeah, Chase is profiling people who go through a lot of credit cards. Fifteen new ones is a tad much. And while you'd think closing 22 cards is a good thing, it fits the profile to a T.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by wendydarling33
Thought I'd throw my experience in too. I applied a few days ago for the Freedom and got pending and called recon. He gave me the same line about too many cards in 24 months. I asked how many I had opened and he said 5 (I just started this in January). Two of these were Chase. I then asked how many was too many and he said 4 was the limit and I had one too many for him to approve me.
Don't place too much significance in what a rep says to get you off the phone. If they don't think you're a profitable customer, the maximum allowable is always going to be (at most) 1 less than you have.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by RNE
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendydarling33

Don't place too much significance in what a rep says to get you off the phone. If they don't think you're a profitable customer, the maximum allowable is always going to be (at most) 1 less than you have.
Chase def got less customer friendly. Spend 30-40k on the BA card and they didn't even want to waive the yearly fee .....
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:27 pm

Well, I am making a business decision to not pay any new annual fees to Chase and close my existing card (denied for a Freedom that I never had). Since the reps keep using the phrase "business decision" to deny new credit.

With Citi upping the game, and Amex, and me not flying United or its partners much, it makes a good business decision for me. Also, no need to use Chase banking and park my money elsewhere for better benefits.

If others are doing the same, are you writing to Chase? I feel like sending some sort of an objective response to their business decision, but dont know whether Secure Message or snail mail is better.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:49 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by vrbaba
Well, I am making a business decision to not pay any new annual fees to Chase and close my existing card (denied for a Freedom that I never had). Since the reps keep using the phrase "business decision" to deny new credit.

With Citi upping the game, and Amex, and me not flying United or its partners much, it makes a good business decision for me. Also, no need to use Chase banking and park my money elsewhere for better benefits.

If others are doing the same, are you writing to Chase? I feel like sending some sort of an objective response to their business decision, but dont know whether Secure Message or snail mail is better.
Sounds like you're not making a "business" decision; you're making an emotional one. But, what do I know? This. Chase offers exceptional value to millions of cardholders. I'm reaping miles and points galore. Anyway, things change. Could get better. Could get worse. Don't take this personally. If anyone can mitigate Chase, it's its co-brand partners. Not us. We'll see.

RNE, sitting pretty.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by RNE
Quote:

Originally Posted by vrbaba

Sounds like you're not making a "business" decision; you're making an emotional one. But, what do I know? This. Chase offers exceptional value to millions of cardholders. I'm reaping miles and points galore. Anyway, things change. Could get better. Could get worse. Don't take this personally. If anyone can mitigate Chase, it's its co-brand partners. Not us. We'll see.

RNE, sitting pretty.
How do you reap miles nowadays? In the past sure but now? If you reaped miles in the last few years you can't get a new chase card ......
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by RNE

RNE, sitting pretty.
Not sure how you got to that conclusion, when I clearly stated my "business" reasons. your decision seems more emotional as your reason is since you "were able to reap miles" you will continue with Chase even when now you cant.

Things do change, but as long as I can churn on other cards, I dont see a reason to keep paying Chase fees on CSP and others to extend relationship when I can get similar or more from Citi/Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.