Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help booking BA flight (SYD to LAX), and general questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:32 am
Original Poster

About me: 20 years old. Student. Travel lots. Make $2000 a month. And I have one credit card (Capital One Venture Card), under my parent's primary account.

Now, lots of general questions:
• I just turned 20. Should I start getting my own credit cards (not under my parent's account)?
• It seems to me that I should ditch my Capital One Venture Card (miles not transferable to OneWorld), and get a better card (like the Sapphire or BA Chase Visa). Am I right to do this?
• What are the best ways to stay abreast of awesome new flight fares and FFM promotions? Are there good daily emails I should be subscribing to?

A few specific questions:
• I'm in Australia currently, and planning to fly home (Los Angeles) in June. Flights are expensive. Would something like this work perhaps?
1) Sign up for this card: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...edit-card.aspx
2) Make one purchase and get the first 50,000 Avios (BA miles).
3) Spend the Avios for a one-way Australia to USA flight

Cheers!

Last edited by philemer; Apr 19, 2012 at 6:40 am
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

With an income of $24K/year, you might not qualify for the Chase/BA Visa card. And that card has an annual fee which Chase typically does not waive for the first year.

More importantly, BA will charge you a hefty "fuel surcharge" when you redeem BA Avios for a SYD-LAX award. Better to use your AA miles, which will also entitle you to a free stopover in LAX, before continuing on to some other North American destination.

The FT MilesBuzz! forum is a good place to find current credit-card sign-up promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.