FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1331134-united-mileageplus-club-card-1st-year-annual-fee-waived-tied-united-status.html)

Sterndogg Apr 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Yobz (Post 18369618)
Does anyone have the number for the reconsideration line? I got a "Decision Pending" probably because I have ~100k in credit with Chase CCs already and I would happily move some of that credit limit to this card. Was just about to buy club membership, this will save me that.

Try (888) 245-0625...I got the decision pending because I had just opened up two additional Chase cards within the past two months. Chase actually called me and asked to move some credit from one card to the new card and was then immediately approved. Will keep this card for the free year then cancel before the anniversary date most likely. Gotta love the credit card churn!

ORDnHKG Apr 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen29 (Post 18368103)
Moving to Chicago and would be great to have some sort of status to begin with on UA as I will be flying them exclusively from now on.

There is no status you are getting out from this card, you are not automatically become premier, and you don't get most of the premier benefits.

You won't be *S, you won't get 25% bonus miles, you won't get E+ at checkin, you won't get UDU even if there are seats available.

All you are getting is 2 free check bags and priority boarding (board after all elites before general boarding.

14940674 Apr 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 18370660)
There is no status you are getting out from this card, you are not automatically become premier, and you don't get most of the premier benefits.

You won't be *S, you won't get 25% bonus miles, you won't get E+ at checkin, you won't get UDU even if there are seats available.

All you are getting is 2 free check bags and priority boarding (board after all elites before general boarding.

You also receive priority check-in, security, and expedited baggage handling. Club cardholders board in Group 4, which is with Premier and Star Silver, rather than after all elites. The Explorer and OnePass Plus cards board after all elites, in Group 5.

infamousdx Apr 11, 2012 7:30 am

You also get Hyatt Platinum status, which I'll parlay into 2 suite upgrades when I apply for the Hyatt Chase card later this year. (Regular Gold members only get 2 free nights; Plats get 2 free nights + 2 suite upgrades;Diamonds get 2 suite award nights). I wouldn't get Hyatt Plat any other way so that's value to me, especially since it's $0 first year.

Also, Avis Pres Club but I don't rent cars very often....

beachfan Apr 11, 2012 9:45 am

I didn't realize the President Club thing, that might be worth it. But not sure it's worth using a chip with Chase until after I do all their other cards. (Maybe wait for Hyatt though, good point about the status).

speedyturtle Apr 12, 2012 1:24 am

so to confirm, the only way a non-elite can get the $395 annual fee waived is by getting a unique access code from the club?

if that's the case, it would be great if someone could send me a unique code. I lost status two years ago as I've greatly reduced travel but my father was just diagnosed with brain cancer and if I could save the $75 it's costing me each time to book the reward ticket last minute to IAH from SAN, that would be one less thing i'd have to worry about.

Thanks in advance!

mase Apr 12, 2012 1:55 am

Originally Posted by speedyturtle (Post 18377966)
so to confirm, the only way a non-elite can get the $395 annual fee waived is by getting a unique access code from the club?

if that's the case, it would be great if someone could send me a unique code. I lost status two years ago as I've greatly reduced travel but my father was just diagnosed with brain cancer and if I could save the $75 it's costing me each time to book the reward ticket last minute to IAH from SAN, that would be one less thing i'd have to worry about.

Thanks in advance!

I'd very much appreciate a code also, if anyone happens to be at a united club (after speedyturtle, that is)!

TTT103 Apr 12, 2012 5:42 am

This card does not garner status. It does have perks, but does not grant elite status.

I'm really perplexed as to why all of you who are frequent flyers don't just stop by a club to pick up an application. As I mentioned before, if you are not frequent flyers, why bother with the card? If you are simply a casual traveler, the card buys you very little. Personally, why not apply for the Explorer card instead and grab the enrollment miles.

The annual fee for the Club card is only waived for the first year if you pick up an application at a Club. It is $395 after that, which is still less than the regular annual club fee of $450. A colleague of mine did say that he was asked to show his UAL club membership card before the club attendant would hand him the credit card application when visiting the UAL club in Atlanta (I think he was in Atlanta). He said that they had a sign advertising the card, but that the applications were not readily available for anyone to just take.

speedyturtle Apr 12, 2012 10:02 am

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 18378611)
This card does not garner status. It does have perks, but does not grant elite status.

I'm really perplexed as to why all of you who are frequent flyers don't just stop by a club to pick up an application. As I mentioned before, if you are not frequent flyers, why bother with the card? If you are simply a casual traveler, the card buys you very little. Personally, why not apply for the Explorer card instead and grab the enrollment miles.

The annual fee for the Club card is only waived for the first year if you pick up an application at a Club. It is $395 after that, which is still less than the regular annual club fee of $450. A colleague of mine did say that he was asked to show his UAL club membership card before the club attendant would hand him the credit card application when visiting the UAL club in Atlanta (I think he was in Atlanta). He said that they had a sign advertising the card, but that the applications were not readily available for anyone to just take.

not sure if this was directed to me, but I don't expect the card to give me elite access. however, with my father's illness, I will probably end up using the rest of the miles in my account and rather than having to pay $75 each time to redeem them (since they are last minute redemptions and I don't have status anymore), I can use the CC and get that fee waived every time. I'd prefer to have the reward fee waived vs the extra miles. And I'm traveling with my 6 month daughter so seriously, any help would be great.

so can I, as a non-elite, use the unique code found in the club brochures to get the $395 fee waived? if so, could I get a code from someone? TIA

DougDons Apr 12, 2012 11:38 am

Thank you very much for the post, I have been hoping for an annual fee waived offer for this card.

I followed the OP's instructions and logged into united.com and then clicked the link provided. I was approved immediately (believe it was because I only have a OnePass and Marriott card with Chase).

TTT103 Apr 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by speedyturtle (Post 18380050)
not sure if this was directed to me, but I don't expect the card to give me elite access. however, with my father's illness, I will probably end up using the rest of the miles in my account and rather than having to pay $75 each time to redeem them (since they are last minute redemptions and I don't have status anymore), I can use the CC and get that fee waived every time. I'd prefer to have the reward fee waived vs the extra miles. And I'm traveling with my 6 month daughter so seriously, any help would be great.

so can I, as a non-elite, use the unique code found in the club brochures to get the $395 fee waived? if so, could I get a code from someone? TIA

No, I did not direct my email directly towards you, but completely understand your situation a little clearer now. First, let me wish all the best to you and your father. I know it's never easy being miles apart from an ill loved one.

In terms of having to be elite to receive the fee waiver, even with the code, I do not have an answer to that question. Personally, I do not think so, as their target audience with this promotion seems to be existing club members, which may or may not be elite. Conversely, The online strategy that people are using to apply, however, does seem to be targeted only to elites.

HenryE1005 Apr 14, 2012 11:12 am

Can anyone help with an invitation number?

Hello,

I had access through the US Airways promotion last year...this just expired. I am hoping someone with access to the United Club can share a code with me to get the first year fee waiver for the United Club Visa. I no longer have status with United/Continental.

Thanks in advance.

Henry

penner42 Apr 21, 2012 9:50 pm

I got my credit card, and the real club card just arrived at home but I am on the road (in the air?). I'll be flying back Tuesday and was wondering if anyone knows if I can get into the club without the actual card. I have my credit card and MP card, but do not have the club membership card in my possession yet.

Ugleeual Apr 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Great tip

14940674 Apr 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by penner42 (Post 18438087)
I got my credit card, and the real club card just arrived at home but I am on the road (in the air?). I'll be flying back Tuesday and was wondering if anyone knows if I can get into the club without the actual card. I have my credit card and MP card, but do not have the club membership card in my possession yet.

Such questions are best posed in the general thread about the card, which can be found through the link below. In that thread, you will find that the United Club staff can look up your Club membership through your MP number, if you don't have your Club membership card with you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...fficially.html