Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do? (Chase dilemma)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

What would you do? (Chase dilemma)

Hi, I have 4 Chase Cards:
- Slate (opened long time ago; won't cancel it)
- Southwest (need to cancel within a month)
- Sapphire (will cancel in the summer)
- Priority (just received)

Somebody recommended me not to cancel Southwest Card, but instead apply for a new chase card, so in case I get denied I can call the back door # and ask them to close Southwest and be approved for a new one. So, that's what I did and applied for Priority 80K offer, but I was instantly approved. Now that I still need to cancel Southwest card, should I even try applying for anything else? Time between being approved for Priority and potentially applying for new card will be less than a month. Or should I simply cancel the card?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:17 pm

Depends on how badly you want another Chase card!

I would just cancel the Southwest card, and wait 60+ days after your most recent application date to apply for another Chase card, but then I don't want to have to talk to the reconsideration line!

If you do want another Chase card now, go ahead and apply for it, and plan to call the reconsideration line and offer to close the Southwest card. The risk in cancelling a card without anything in return is giving up a credit line that they might not agree to reissue, but if you have good credit and decent income, I don't think that is a very big risk.

I once cancelled two Citi cards and combined their credit lines onto my remaining Citi card, leaving one card with a $31,600 credit line. Now, every time I apply for a new credit card, they call me to take part of the credit line from my existing card, and it is getting annoying!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:21 pm

Call and ask for some (most) of your SW credit line to be transfered to your Slate card. Wait for this to be processed then call and cancel the card. Calling the consideration line you just need to be able to move credit, not necessarily close an existing account.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by hellothere
Call and ask for some (most) of your SW credit line to be transfered to your Slate card. Wait for this to be processed then call and cancel the card. Calling the consideration line you just need to be able to move credit, not necessarily close an existing account.
I was under similar circumstances recently, and this is what I was planning on doing (transferring credit limit to another card). However, I was saved from having to make that choice by a retention offer on my Chase OnePass Plus.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Won't I limit my chances for getting a new card later if I transfer my CC limit from Southwest card to another Chase card?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by hellothere
Calling the consideration line you just need to be able to move credit, not necessarily close an existing account.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by partizanka
Won't I limit my chances for getting a new card later if I transfer my CC limit from Southwest card to another Chase card?
Next time you get a new card, you can offer to move credit again. As others have said previously, by transferring the credit from your WN card, you are keeping the same amount of credit line available from Chase. This allows you to keep a lower utilization rate and also gives you some leverage when applying for a new card. (e.g. If not instantly approved on your next Chase app, you can call in and offer to move some credit off an existing card and apply it to the new card you want)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.