Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived.

Please continue the discussion here: Marriott Credit Card Offers (2016)
Print Wikipost

[Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd
If anyone is curious, I can't PC this card into anything besides the $45 Marriott or a Ritz card. I'm sure this is expected, but I wanted to try and weasel my way into an AF card if possible. I'm keeping the Premier card anyway for the opening date (and I want it to last more than 10 years), 15 elite night credit, and maybe one day I'll find a 1-5 to stay at.
I know everyone has different criteria, but unless you're a NY/LA/SF/DC-only person, there are more than a few hotels on the category 5 list that I have a hard time believing anyone would refuse to stay in for free:
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...ropertyList.mi

That said, I did dump my Marriott card when the AF came due. Out of the dozen or so hotel cards we've had, this was the least useful, rewards-wise.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
[On Again] 70k-80k points, 1 night, no fee 1st yr, Marriott Premier Visa

Yes my Marriott and Ritz points merged without any hiccup
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
Correct. For those who, like me, came here looking for details about this 80k offer that you may have heard about, don't bother.

70k offer: 70k miles, free category 1-4 night, AF waived the first year, $2000 spend
80k offer: 80k miles, no free night, $85 AF not waived, $3000 spend

Calling this a no-brainer is an insult to no-brainers.
Thanks for clarifying, so it's really effectively at least 2 free nights, if you use the 70K at a Ritz or something. That's a generous bonus. My RC card's AF comes due soon so maybe I'll apply for the Marriott now.

But yeah, I did feel the 80K power surge on the blogs is a bit unwarranted. $85 bucks for 10K more MR points, no additional free night, and additional $1000 spend. haha.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Thanks for clarifying, so it's really effectively at least 2 free nights, if you use the 70K at a Ritz or something. That's a generous bonus. My RC card's AF comes due soon so maybe I'll apply for the Marriott now.

But yeah, I did feel the 80K power surge on the blogs is a bit unwarranted. $85 bucks for 10K more MR points, no additional free night, and additional $1000 spend. haha.
The 80K card also gets one free night (1-5 category) every year, 12 months from date of certificate issue.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st.exupery
The 80K card also gets one free night (1-5 category) every year, 12 months from date of certificate issue.
So does the 70K card which the first year fee is waived.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 10, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:54 am

Refer a friend was available on DH's Marriott card which gave 10k points plus offered 80k points to the recipient. Might be worth it for those with a spouse or SO? 20k points for $85.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know everyone has different criteria, but unless you're a NY/LA/SF/DC-only person, there are more than a few hotels on the category 5 list that I have a hard time believing anyone would refuse to stay in for free:
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...ropertyList.mi

That said, I did dump my Marriott card when the AF came due. Out of the dozen or so hotel cards we've had, this was the least useful, rewards-wise.
It is not the hotel standard, it is the travel path of the cardholder - all the previous cat 4 / 5 hotels in our travel path, are now cat 6 / 7.

Nobody would think the LAX hotels are of any high quality, yet they are all Cat 6 and up. You would need to go to El Segundo to find the Cat 5 Residence Inn.

You are not suggesting people go out of their ways so just to be able to use a lousy free night cert?

With HHonors and IHG, their free night certs from the credit cards are without category restriction - ANY hotel ANYWHERE in the world as long as there is availability, your can use the cert. That is why the Marriott cert is so inferior.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

With HHonors and IHG, their free night certs from the credit cards are without category restriction - ANY hotel ANYWHERE in the world as long as there is availability, your can use the cert. That is why the Marriott cert is so inferior.

Not so, I tried to use a IHG cert to stay an extra day at a HIE on Pensacola beach. (my wife had used a cert and 70k points to get the first 3 nights) It wouldn't let me use my cert because hotel had a 3 night stay restriction. I had to call in and explain I was adding a night to my wife's stay and the rep called the hotel and had the manager manually add a night to her res and use my cert...my name was never on the res, but we got the 4 nights.
Certs are more of a pain than points, with too many limitations. I was happy to use up 4 Hyatt, 2 IHG, 1 Marriott and a Hotels.com credit on our last vacation....now I don't have to worry using them before they expire.
You are right when you say they are less valuable, considering the category restrictions and short 6 month use....we wound up using it for an airport Fairfield Inn since our flight arrived at 11pm.

Last edited by wise2u; Jul 13, 2015 at 2:59 pm Reason: posted too fast, only had quote
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:13 pm

Landing page for 70k + night waived AF is down. Application link appears to be working. It may not be long for this world for those interested.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:19 pm

Seems like the 70K personal and business card landing pages are now redirecting to a 80K link.

Is there any problem getting a 80K personal and bus Card ?

I thought at one time they wouldn't pay both bonuses in a short time frame

I just was approved for the Business version which I have not had in over 3 years..........very odd approval though, it said more info was needed then the screen changed to approved for $28K

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 13, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wise2u
Not so, I tried to use a IHG cert to stay an extra day at a HIE on Pensacola beach. (my wife had used a cert and 70k points to get the first 3 nights) It wouldn't let me use my cert because hotel had a 3 night stay restriction. I had to call in and explain I was adding a night to my wife's stay and the rep called the hotel and had the manager manually add a night to her res and use my cert...my name was never on the res, but we got the 4 nights.
Certs are more of a pain than points, with too many limitations. I was happy to use up 4 Hyatt, 2 IHG, 1 Marriott and a Hotels.com credit on our last vacation....now I don't have to worry using them before they expire.
You are right when you say they are less valuable, considering the category restrictions and short 6 month use....we wound up using it for an airport Fairfield Inn since our flight arrived at 11pm.
Your situation is different - the cert can be used, as long as you have a 3 nights booking. That does not mean the cert cannot be used anywhere - individual hotel has minimum stay restriction whether it is on cert or on points, often during peak periods. That is universal for all chains. The only way to get around it is thru manual intervention which requires both the loyalty program and the hotel work together.

You would have same situation using points when there is a minimum stay length restriction imposed for the period you book. The way your wife can use the points is because the total of nights are 3, 1 from cert, 2 from points. You may not be able to book just 2 with points.

In your case, the cert is indeed used as it should be - anywhere when there is availability, but it also is subj to the stay restriction and the hotel is customer-oriented enough to make this work for you.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:14 am

Correct. For those who, like me, came here looking for details about this 80k offer that you may have heard about, don't bother.

70k offer: 70k miles, free category 1-4 night, AF waived the first year, $2000 spend
80k offer: 80k miles, no free night, $85 AF not waived, $3000 spend

Does the 70K Business card include the free night the first year ? I can't access the landing page so I don't know all the details.

I'm not even sure if I would get the free cert as I have had Business card in the past but at least 4 years have passed.

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 14, 2015 at 12:25 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by shinypenny01
Landing page for 70k + night waived AF is down. Application link appears to be working. It may not be long for this world for those interested.
Does this mean the offer isn't working? Hesitant to blindly apply on an application page without having seen the offer on a landing page first; thoughts on if I should still go for it (since the 70k offer clearly sounds like the better deal) while the application page is still up?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Mirnada
Does this mean the offer isn't working? Hesitant to blindly apply on an application page without having seen the offer on a landing page first; thoughts on if I should still go for it (since the 70k offer clearly sounds like the better deal) while the application page is still up?
A serious question: if you're not willing to trust the wiki, then why would you trust a reply to your post?

We archive application page links in the wiki for the very reason that they can remain active even after the landing pages die. If that makes you nervous, fine -- don't apply using those links.

Last edited by beltway; Jul 14, 2015 at 5:16 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:47 am

Or, earn a Category 1-5 free night after your second paid stay within 120-150 days of signup: Cat 1-5 Free Night Offer
Does this still work for anyone? It's down for me -- are they canceling this offer? I was just about to apply...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.