Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

should I cancel UA Mileage plus signature visa card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:44 am
Original Poster

I have had this card for 9 years, the longest for any Chase card. Just in the past 5 months, I have opened 4 Chase CC for the sign up bonuses. I moved CL around so I only have $500 for my UA Mileage signature card.

The annual fee is today(just saw it) for $60.

I would like to apply for the anticipated U.A. Explorer Credit card for the 60k bonus in November.

Does it matter if I cancel the UA Mileage Plus Signature Visa now to avoid the annual fee or is it better I keep it till I apply for the U.A. Explorer?

Can anyone still confirm that I can get the 60k bonus if I cancel this card?

Can I cancel card online or best to call in?

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
A lot of us are asking this same question.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by metoo
I have had this card for 9 years, the longest for any Chase card. Just in the past 5 months, I have opened 4 Chase CC for the sign up bonuses. I moved CL around so I only have $500 for my UA Mileage signature card.

The annual fee is today(just saw it) for $60.

I would like to apply for the anticipated U.A. Explorer Credit card for the 60k bonus in November.

Does it matter if I cancel the UA Mileage Plus Signature Visa now to avoid the annual fee or is it better I keep it till I apply for the U.A. Explorer?

Can anyone still confirm that I can get the 60k bonus if I cancel this card?

Can I cancel card online or best to call in?

Thanks so much.
In terms of cancelling the card online - I don't believe you are able to do this. I think you can only do this over the phone or in writing.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:26 am

I'm super bummed as I just signed up for the "regular" offer (three weeks ago), which I know I shouldn't have done....but we almost exclusively fly united (only carrier that flies into our airport) and I needed the miles...

Called and asked to be considered for the new offer and they said I'd have to apply for another card...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: Several dozen
Can Sapphire put miles into the CO/UA pool - would that be the route to go?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:23 am

I had marked 10/4 on my calendar to check into the UA Explorer Chase 50K card; didn't see it today (bookmarked the site). Is it pushed back to November, and upped to 60K?
Please advise?!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
I am very hesitant to cancel my UA Milage Plus Signature card.
The benefits of this card are far superior to the new UA explorer card.

The UA Milage Plus Signature card gives you:
1. Triple Miles on United purchases
2. Double Miles on gas, groceries, dining, home improvement and Star alliance purchases
3. Anniversary Bonus of 5,000 miles (no spending required)
4. up to 5,000 EQMs every year on all purchases made at united.com.

Items 2 and 4 are especially important to me.
Benefits of UA explorer do not even come close.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by european28

2. Double Miles on gas, groceries, dining, home improvement and Star alliance purchases

I don't have the benefits you have on my card. 2x miles for using UA CC for booking flights on UA and that is it. Annual fee is $60
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Insteading of cancelling, I would call up Chase and ask to convert the card to a no annual fee card. You would be able to keep the old 9 yr history and with a $500 limit, that may be the best thing. Doesn't make sense to pay an annual fee on a low limit card.

I converted my wife's UA card a few years ago to a no annual fee UA card. You may only get 1 mile for every $2 charged but I would charge something small on it once in a while to keep the card active.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
In terms of cancelling the card online - I don't believe you are able to do this. I think you can only do this over the phone or in writing.
You can also cancel by sending a secure message to Chase when you are logged in to your online account.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
I'm planning on canceling mine.

I was 1k for many years and had the fee waived, I think this year I will be charged a $140 fee (mine must be platinum or something); I will cancel right away.

I need to look into the UA Explorer Card if it has a 60k bonus - I'm perusing that thread now.

Thanks

Last edited by zrudeboyz; Oct 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I just canceled my husband's UA Mileage Plus card using the customer service email option at chase.com. No difficulties.

I'm channeling the bulk of my spending to the CapOne Venture card. Double points. Cash back redemption applied to travel purchases. No more trying to find an award trip on a specific airline. Able to earn miles on all my trips, even those that were refunded 100%.

Sweet.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
Why cancel long-term card?

If you had it for 9 yrs, why would you cancel? Just convert it some random 0 annual fee card. This card will keep you avg age longer; that way, any new card will have a very minimal impact in your account.

I use this card for everything with $95 annual fee + $15,000 credit line. 5000 annual bonus is like $50 back. And 2 miles in groceries and gas station serves it's purpose.

What's up with Explorer Card? Can I get that card even if I have this Mileage Plus card? Can you please share the link? Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by european28

Do you have the basic Signature card or the Select card with the extra benefits?

A couple of points:

1. How long have you had the card? And if you use it on a regular basis, I would not cancel it because it is one of the things that helps establish your good credit.

2. There is no reason why you can't/shouldn't have more than one card. My main credit card is the CO Presidential Plus. I only got the UA Select because of the merger and took advantage of the 30K bonus, but I kept it and use it all the time because of the double miles on supermarkets, restaurants and gas. I feel these two cards compliment each other very well and use them both.

If you can afford both cards (i.e. the annual fees), then get the MPE and keep the Select card and use both.

Last edited by GSBEWR; Oct 4, 2011 at 11:40 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Not true.

You can send a secured message to cancel it. I did it many times.

You only need to phone if you want some retention bonus or you want to reallocate the credit line to other cards before you close the account. However Chase has long not allowed to reallocate the credit line by the front line CSRs - you would need to talk to the credit dept in order to do that.

In the OP's case, I am a tad surprised Chase allow him to leave only $500 CL if it is a Visa Signature which generally requires $5K minimum CL.

I would try to convert the card to a Chase in-house no fee card such as the Freedom and put back some CL on it - this way the history of the MP card is preserved as it would carry over to the converted card.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.