Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by karlmitchell
BlackGoldSTL: Most of the time economy awards don't give a good return, but if you're not interested in flying business it's worth crunching some numbers as there are good deals out there.

If you're looking for international economy awards, and fly with Virgin or one of their partners (certainly not for everyone), you might also want to consider the Virgin Atlantic card from Bank of America. It gives 1.5x points on -everything-, which is better than most, plus a minimum spend bonus (15,000 on $25k spend), gives tier points at a decent rate (easy enough to get to Silver without even flying) and also a companion ticket that applies to award economy (companion travels at half miles). Finally, the sign-up bonus is good (40-45k).

So basically you can get 52,500 points on 25k spend (2.1x earn effectively) without having to plan your spending, and two economy class awards are just 75k. That's the best return on economy I've found by quite a long way, and makes a good companion for the Chase SP + Freedom combo, as they are better for earning on focused spend types. Use the Virgin when there are no points deals on Chase Ultimate Rewards or specific card benefits.

However, as I said, only worth it if you fly with Virgin or one of their partners (most of Star Alliance, including Continental at the moment, even though they're not members, plus Hawaiian and others).
Thanks for the tip on the BOA card...might be worth a gander (especially as a third card as you've explained), although from the tales I've heard of BA fuel surcharges to the UK, I'd probably use those towards an Asia award.

I prefer UA's awards if I'm going to Europe, so I would probably convert the UR points to UA.

Most of my awards will end up being on AA---I like their availability out of St. Louis and their off-peak 40k awards to Europe. Since I'm mostly looking at credit cards to get a chunk of my miles, AA seems to work as Citi seems to be fairly churn-able.

I wasn't aware that business class was a better value for the mile...I can't sleep on planes regardless of class of travel, so the lie flat seats, etc., don't really appeal to me. To me, using extra miles for business is just taking away half of a future award. I absolutely understand those that do go for the business class stuff, and perhaps once I'm older and more established in my career, I'll do it, but right now my priority is to get the most low-hanging fruit and the most awards possible, comfort be damned.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Palaimo
Should I maybe pay my balance on the Sapphire card just before the statement closes so that it shows $0 on the next months credit report - perhaps helping my credit score a bit and making it easier for them to issue more credit? Or would this not be worth the effort or perhaps even look like a "red flag" i.e. a "pre payment"?
You're probably worrying way too much about this.

Ideal utilization is about 2% of available credit. So your best theoretical gambit would be to pay almost all of it off before the statement. (But always at least as much as the previous statement balance. So if you have not used the card at all since the last statement, pay it all off.)

But you're playing in the realm of a few points. Not enough to fuss about, especially since Chase has already approved you once.

Your best bet is to apply for whichever offer is likely to go away first, probably.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:23 pm

I suppose that's what I'm trying to sniff out as well...which one of WN or Chase Sapphire Preferred or Priority Club is going away first?

I know nobody has a definitive answer, but most of you have been at this longer than I have, so any guesses are welcomed.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:59 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
You're probably worrying way too much about this.

Ideal utilization is about 2% of available credit. So your best theoretical gambit would be to pay almost all of it off before the statement. (But always at least as much as the previous statement balance. So if you have not used the card at all since the last statement, pay it all off.)

But you're playing in the realm of a few points. Not enough to fuss about, especially since Chase has already approved you once.

Your best bet is to apply for whichever offer is likely to go away first, probably.

(let's say I'd like to be super conservative and fuss about a few points...) how quickly do credit reporting agencies update your utilization information? i.e. if I pay off the the statement balance today, how soon will it be reflected on their statement? Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by BlackGoldSTL
I suppose that's what I'm trying to sniff out as well...which one of WN or Chase Sapphire Preferred or Priority Club is going away first?
My complete guess gut instinct is the WN 50k is sticking around - if only because it carries an annual fee. Gut also says PC will go down, since they've offered at several lower point levels recently.

Another major factor is your own personal valuation of the point offers. For me, WN and Sapphire are about the same, and both are much better than PC, at those point levels. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by swy
(let's say I'd like to be super conservative and fuss about a few points...) how quickly do credit reporting agencies update your utilization information? i.e. if I pay off the the statement balance today, how soon will it be reflected on their statement? Thanks!
Since you asked me, I'll give an answer, but this is a guess since I haven't actually closely watched - on the order of 3-5 weeks after the statement closes. But hopefully someone can answer who knows.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:24 am

if i have applied for the southwest business card am I still eligible to receive the bonus points if i apply for the same southwest personal card with $69 annual fee.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by icculus631
if i have applied for the southwest business card am I still eligible to receive the bonus points if i apply for the same southwest personal card with $69 annual fee.
I believe so.. Numerous posts on flyertalk have supported 1 personal and 1 business card per person and they have gotten both the bonuses.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by m3m3m3
I believe so.. Numerous posts on flyertalk have supported 1 personal and 1 business card per person and they have gotten both the bonuses.
thanks i also just saw a few earlier posts saying they were only entitled to one bonus every 6 months so i wasn't sure if i could apply for both about a month apart or if i need to wait
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
My complete guess gut instinct is the WN 50k is sticking around - if only because it carries an annual fee. Gut also says PC will go down, since they've offered at several lower point levels recently.

Another major factor is your own personal valuation of the point offers. For me, WN and Sapphire are about the same, and both are much better than PC, at those point levels. But that's just me.
Thanks for the guess! I totally agree with you about WN and Sapphire being more valuable. The only reason I'm looking at PC is a) I might want to book an IC hotel in late March/early April, and b) the annual fee is actually worth it.

Now I just need to decide between CO, WN, and Sapphire...I'm thinking CO first, if only because it's most likely to disappear.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by BlackGoldSTL
The only reason I'm looking at PC is a) I might want to book an IC hotel in late March/early April, and b) the annual fee is actually worth it.
As a card to keep, the PC card is quite good. The annual free night is definitely worth the fee, plus you get the 10% rebate on point redemptions and, if you pay to stay at IHG hotels and value the points highly enough, it's good for hotel charges. Plus, at 80k, you'll have instant Platinum for a year+, which is handy.

I'm holding on to it for the long haul.

When I was facing a choice similar to yours recently, I picked up the CO card first. I'm betting we'll still be able to get the UA Explorer bonus later, so best to get the CO card now while it's still possible.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Should I do this? My plan right now is to wait until the Sapphire statement closes (Around the 23rd if I remember correctly) and immediately pay the card off. Then apply for the United card just before the 60K offer expires, but after they process my payment on the Sapphire card. Does this make sense? Should I maybe pay my balance on the Sapphire card just before the statement closes so that it shows $0 on the next months credit report - perhaps helping my credit score a bit and making it easier for them to issue more credit? Or would this not be worth the effort or perhaps even look like a "red flag" i.e. a "pre payment"?
I frequently pay all my credit card balances BEFORE my statement closes so that a $0 "debt" is reported to the credit bureaus. It helps with the utilization ratios and my overall outstanding "debt" level (even if you pay off your card(s) every month, to the bureau it still reports as if you are in debt for the amount your statement closes with). I feel like this helps my score - even if it's only by a few points. It takes a little more effort, but I try to make it happen when I can. To my knowledge this has never been considered a "red flag".

Originally Posted by swy
Based on my understanding of how creditors report to the bureaus, it seems they generally report the outstanding balance/utilization once per month within a few days after your statement has closed with the balance owed when your statement cut. Therefore if you are trying to impact your credit report/score, it's always best to make your payments BEFORE the statement closes.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by jenepat
I frequently pay all my credit card balances BEFORE my statement closes so that a $0 "debt" is reported to the credit bureaus. [...] To my knowledge this has never been considered a "red flag".
There was an interview with someone from Fair Isaac that reported a 0% utilization was, in fact, a red flag. Indicated fear/reluctance to use credit. They suggested a very small utilization (in the neighborhood of 2%).

(I've given a link to the interview in the past... will search for it if someone wants the reference and can't find it.)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
There was an interview with someone from Fair Isaac that reported a 0% utilization was, in fact, a red flag. Indicated fear/reluctance to use credit. They suggested a very small utilization (in the neighborhood of 2%).
This makes sense to me, and I'm sure my utilization is rarely 0% just because some CC statement closing dates sneak up to surprise me. But as a general rule, I've noticed my credit score is always higher is if I have less outstanding balances owed to credit card companies, instead of $3-4k. Of course I also have a mortgage, student loan and car payment that shows them I have some debt and know how to handle it.

Last edited by mia; Jan 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:30 pm

Just applied for and got the 10-day message on the united explorer card.

What is the best number to call and in what time frame? I just called 888-245-0625 and all she would tell me is that they received the app and would review it. Is there a better number to call? I also see 888-609-7805 and 800-436-7961 listed in this thread - which is best to call to get the card quickly considered (and approved!)
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:46 pm

Just applied for and got the 10-day message on the united explorer card.

What is the best number to call and in what time frame? I just called 888-245-0625 and all she would tell me is that they received the app and would review it. Is there a better number to call? I also see 888-609-7805 and 800-436-7961 listed in this thread - which is best to call to get the card quickly considered (and approved!)
I applied for the Sapphire Preferred on Wednesday and also got the 10-day message. I called 888-245-0625 an hour or two later (around 9pm) and asked the status. They said it was being processed, but the lady I spoke to put it through while I was still on the phone with her and came back and said I was approved. If I were you, I'd call again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.