FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1191535-applying-chase-credit-cards-archived-2008-5-2015-a.html)

MarkMColo Mar 7, 2012 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by capitolm94 (Post 18155505)
Are you sure they pulled it for the ink the first time? I had a similar experience with a chase business card. They didnt pull my credit the first time (denied for too many recent inquiries), but did when I called for recon.

Same thing happened to me with the Ink classic. I didn't realize at the time that they didn't do a pull when I first applied, and I didn't know they were doing a pull when I called for reconsideration. I only figured this out when I later looked at my credit report. Unfortunately I was denied on the reconsideration also.

Bud Florida Mar 9, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm the holder of four Chase cards;

Hyatt
Sapphire
SW
SW Biz

Recently purchased a ticket on BA and was offered their credit card with a
50K bonus. It had been six months since my last application. It was refused "to many requests for credit or opened accounts with us".

Called and was offered the card if I would cancel one of my other existing cards. Said a sad farewell to the SW Biz.

birdseye Mar 13, 2012 10:02 pm

How many Chase cards are you generally able to get per year? My husband and I got the UA Explorer card two months ago on January 3rd, last year got Continental and Sapphire Preferred, and would still like to get Ink Bold, Freedom, and Marriott. I don't like having to call the reconsideration line, and the reports of people having all their Chase accounts shut down make me nervous. How many cards can I easily get without pushing the limits? Maybe spaced 90 days apart?

NotHome Mar 14, 2012 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by birdseye (Post 18196529)
How many Chase cards are you generally able to get per year? My husband and I got the UA Explorer card two months ago on January 3rd, last year got Continental and Sapphire Preferred, and would still like to get Ink Bold, Freedom, and Marriott. I don't like having to call the reconsideration line, and the reports of people having all their Chase accounts shut down make me nervous. How many cards can I easily get without pushing the limits? Maybe spaced 90 days apart?

I wanted to add a question to the above. My wife recently got a Sapphire Card (in addition to her BA card. I have Ba and Hyatt). Should her recent Sapphire approval have any effect on me obtaining the same card?

longhorn11 Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by birdseye (Post 18196529)

It all depends on a person's individual credit profile. Some people are able to get 5-6 cards a year, others with more limited credit history could probably get 1-2 a year. IMO you could probably get the Ink Bold and Freedom done at the same time (maybe sometime in April/May), but you'll have to call the recon line. You could then leave the Marriott for later in 2012.

Originally Posted by NotHome (Post 18200517)
I wanted to add a question to the above. My wife recently got a Sapphire Card (in addition to her BA card. I have Ba and Hyatt). Should her recent Sapphire approval have any effect on me obtaining the same card?

No. Both of you already have BA cards, it would work the same for any other card. The only exception would be if it was a joint account, but I don't think Chase even offers those anymore.

2tall4economy Mar 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11 (Post 18200613)
No. Both of you already have BA cards, it would work the same for any other card. The only exception would be if it was a joint account, but I don't think Chase even offers those anymore.

They do joint accounts, but you need to sign and fax paperwork to convert an existing individual account (where the spouse is already an AU) into a joint account.

mlmorg Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm

I just applied for the CSP card yesterday. It was pending review so I called this evening and the lady said I was declined. She asked me a few questions and then put me on hold for a few minutes. She returned and said my application had been reopened and that I would hear back in 2 weeks. Is this normal? I would have thought she could have told me right then and there if I was approved/declined...

Efilon87 Mar 20, 2012 12:08 am

Ink bold

Currently I have 3 Chase cards (the card formerly known the continental card, old united card, and sapphire preferred) and now I am now looking at the Ink Bold. I am starting a small business of selling my photography, though I have yet to turn a profit. A few questions about the Chase business CC app:

1) If I dont have a profit from my small business (sole proprietorship), will that cause a problem with my application being approved?
2) Since I already have 3 CC with Chase, would my app be declined b/c of too many cards?
3) What questions should I expect to be asked if/when they call about my app?

Thanks!!

mia Mar 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Efilon87 (Post 18234738)

How long in business. Nature of work. Number of employees. Legal structure. Gross revenue. Profit. Anticipated spending. Verified that I understood that a charge card must be paid in full every cycle.

Not showing a taxable profit is not unusual for closely held businesses. I explained how the profit was used to fund retirement program.

TheNoobTraveler Mar 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Efilon87 (Post 18234738)
Currently I have 3 Chase cards (the card formerly known the continental card, old united card, and sapphire preferred) and now I am now looking at the Ink Bold. I am starting a small business of selling my photography, though I have yet to turn a profit. A few questions about the Chase business CC app:

1) If I dont have a profit from my small business (sole proprietorship), will that cause a problem with my application being approved?
2) Since I already have 3 CC with Chase, would my app be declined b/c of too many cards?

Thanks!!

You may want to plan on initially being denied because of the 3 current Chase cards. But you are going to have to call anyway to answer Chase's questions.

I just did this and I answered all the questions mia laid out; was approved on the spot. I did go into detail on my upcoming expenses for the side business.

I hope this helps and best of luck.

dcacoaster Mar 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Advice sought on a very mini-churn:

I planned to apply for both the Chase United 50k and Barclays US Air 40k cards today to get some quick miles for a trip this fall, and hoped for instant approval of both since I have high scores and few inquiries. But my Chase app this morning resulted in a "need to review application further" message, and when I spoke to the reconsideration guy just now he told me that he couldn't do anything about my app today and it needs a few more days or up to 2 weeks to process.

So . . . should I go ahead and apply for the US Air card today as planned, or wait a couple more days til I can get an approval (or denial!) on the Chase from the reconsideration line? My understanding is that normally it's best to bunch all apps on a single day, but I'm concerned that if I open a new US Air account today and it shows up on my credit report (read somewhere that the US Air card shows as new account within days of approval), then if Chase pulls a second report when I call back (as it sounds like they've been doing sometimes?) my odds of approval on the Chase will be worse due to another new account . . .

Any thoughts are appreciated. (More background: I applied for Chase SP beginning of Jan -- I'm guessing that's the hold-up here -- but otherwise hadn't applied for any cards since last summer (Citi AA and Chase BA), and only have a couple inquiries each on EXP and EQ, none on Transunion. I believe Barclays will pull Transunion for me. FAKO scores currently in the 760-800 range, have gotten generous credit lines on all cards.

CodeAdam10 Mar 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Data point: Chase lending department called me a couple of days ago, grilling me about my INK card. They wanted to know why I had applied for each and every Chase card (for the past year), explanations of balances on other CC's on my CR, my charging pattern on the INK (yes it is quite heavy), as well as personal, employment, and financial history, etc. For a moment I thought AmEx FR 2.0 here we go ... but nothing happened and at the end they offered me a CL increase. :confused:

longhorn11 Mar 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 (Post 18260530)
Data point: Chase lending department called me a couple of days ago, grilling me about my INK card. They wanted to know why I had applied for each and every Chase card (for the past year), explanations of balances on other CC's on my CR, my charging pattern on the INK (yes it is quite heavy), as well as personal, employment, and financial history, etc. For a moment I thought AmEx FR 2.0 here we go ... but nothing happened and at the end they offered me a CL increase. :confused:

That's interesting. How many chase cards have you opened in the last year? If you don't mind me asking, what was the limit on the Ink before? I've heard that after it gets past a certain level, these types of questions are asked to get the limit more in line with spending. Although, every other time I've heard of it, the customer initiated the contact not the bank.

CodeAdam10 Mar 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11 (Post 18260757)
That's interesting. How many chase cards have you opened in the last year? If you don't mind me asking, what was the limit on the Ink before? I've heard that after it gets past a certain level, these types of questions are asked to get the limit more in line with spending. Although, every other time I've heard of it, the customer initiated the contact not the bank.

3 (including the INK). 1 mid-2011 and the other 2 recently. The limit before was 9k, now 12k. I got the feeling they were fishing for something, but they couldn't find anything so it was 'all clear' as the rep did say I did very well. Very well on what? lol All in all I'm glad it turned out well!

longhorn11 Mar 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 (Post 18260873)
3 (including the INK). 1 mid-2011 and the other 2 recently. The limit before was 9k, now 12k. I got the feeling they were fishing for something, but they couldn't find anything so it was 'all clear' as the rep did say I did very well. Very well on what? lol All in all I'm glad it turned out well!

Very strange. Glad it worked out in your favor though!

My Chase profile is somewhat similar to yours, received one July 2011 and CSP in Jan 2012. I was thinking about adding the Bold in my next round of apps.