FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   JP Morgan Palladium Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1089511-jp-morgan-palladium-card.html)

5DMarkIIguy Feb 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Just tested out some random booking using the Palladium.
"Your 1,000 points are worth $15.15 toward your trip."
Using the Sapphire
"Your 1,000 points are worth $12.5 toward your trip."

So 50k UR points are worth $757.5, not $1000.

mia Feb 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy (Post 18070736)
Palladium: "Your 1,000 points are worth $15.15 toward your trip."...
Sapphire: "Your 1,000 points are worth $12.5 toward your trip."

^ Thank you for taking the time to test and report, and thanks to Stoutman11 for mentioning this difference between Palladium and the other Ultimate Rewards cards.

pointspinnacle Feb 24, 2012 10:12 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 18070887)
^ Thank you for taking the time to test and report, and thanks to Stoutman11 for mentioning this difference between Palladium and the other Ultimate Rewards cards.

Yes thanks for testing that MarkII2D! And sorry to MIA i couldnt provide that link but i knew it was true. Your welcome and im glad i can finally contribute and give something back to this great community!!

rizwank Feb 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Can you transfer your points between Sapphire and Palladium, as you can with the rest of the consumer cards?

5DMarkIIguy Feb 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by rizwank (Post 18075873)
Can you transfer your points between Sapphire and Palladium, as you can with the rest of the consumer cards?

That's what I did to test the UR value for Palladium.

crimson12 Feb 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy (Post 18077600)
That's what I did to test the UR value for Palladium.

Interesting! So you can earn points at the Sapphire's rates (2x dining, etc.) then redeem at the Palladium's rates...

I have a bunch of Chase cards (UMP Visa, CO OnePass, UA Explorer, Sapphire) but this might have to be my next card, especially when the Amex Plat comes up for renewal later this year...

dabigdawg Feb 26, 2012 9:25 am

You can earn on sapphire and spend on palladium.

Also, the rewards mall for both sometimes have different offers.

For example, 10x drugstore.com was available on Sapphire but not on Palladium. 1-2 instances of 6x on palladium but only 5x on Sapphire thought that might just have been an error as those changed pretty quickly (next day). For the most part, I've noticed that the bonuses in the Chase rewards mall are much better with Sapphire.

tomcat007 Mar 1, 2012 7:47 am

Bloomberg article on the palladium card

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...he-ticker.html

Dr_wanderlust Mar 1, 2012 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tomcat007 (Post 18110013)
Bloomberg article on the palladium card

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...he-ticker.html

I read that yesterday and had to laugh because the article does not accurately state what is required for the card. We have the card and my wife and I have no investment, checking, or savings accounts with JP Morgan Chase. I would think the Centurion card is for the 1% of the 1% more so than this glorified Chase card.

It is worth mentioning that thus far this card has been a "hidden" tradeline on my credit reports. That alone has a real, albeit intangible, value to me.

montreid Mar 12, 2012 7:11 pm

What do you mean hidden tradeline? Meaning balance/limit isn't counted to credit hit--since it's a charge card, right?

Currently have Sapphire and contemplating jump to Palladium to consolidate AMEX Plat into chase side and 'save'; but will lose a bit on the x2 Sapphire.

No way to waive Sapphire Preferred if have Palladium?

Anyone compare Palladiuim to RitzCarlton card by chance?

Dr_wanderlust Mar 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by montreid (Post 18188060)
What do you mean hidden tradeline? Meaning balance/limit isn't counted to credit hit--since it's a charge card, right?

The card has not reported to my consumer credit reports; hence it is "hidden" in that sense.

It is not a charge card it is a flexible spending credit card. There is a hard limit for revolving balances but you can charge 3 times your hard limit per cycle. So if your limit is 50K you can charge 150K but have to pay at least 100K by the due date.

GoFastJames Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust (Post 18188238)
The card has not reported to my consumer credit reports; hence it is "hidden" in that sense.

It is not a charge card it is a flexible spending credit card. There is a hard limit for revolving balances but you can charge 3 times your hard limit per cycle. So if your limit is 50K you can charge 150K but have to pay at least 100K by the due date.

I just got mine and they told me the 3 times spend can be max out and just pay over time with interest if I would like.
That person could have been wrong. Only way to 100% know is to do it then see what the bill tells to pay. Any one spend over there hard limit?

I do find it interesting they don't show any thing on my credit report that I have this card.

Using it some times is interesting how people react to it.
O thats heavy is it steel what is this?
I have never seen this b4 what is this?
IS this better then the black card?
At one LV store... This is the first any of us has seen this card we see a lot of black cards but this card is a first. What does it take to get this card some one working there told her a lot of money in a JP morgen account. O my husband has a jp morgen account wonder y he does not have it.

2tall4economy Mar 28, 2012 12:28 am

Even though there is no state of the world where having this card makes sense when compared to the benefits and rewards of pretty much anything equivalent, I still sort of want to apply for one now in case they get exclusive later like the Cent.

Will have to use reason vs emotion on this one I guess.

Of course, the Cent started with great benefits and was easy to get, while this one started with crappy benefits and is easy to get. I'm guessing it won't be all that exclusive... still, beside trophy wives, sports cars, watches and cufflinks, this is the only man-jewellery I can think of.

Dr_wanderlust Mar 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy (Post 18287182)
Even though there is no state of the world where having this card makes sense when compared to the benefits and rewards of pretty much anything equivalent, I still sort of want to apply for one now in case they get exclusive later like the Cent.

Will have to use reason vs emotion on this one I guess.

Of course, the Cent started with great benefits and was easy to get, while this one started with crappy benefits and is easy to get. I'm guessing it won't be all that exclusive... still, beside trophy wives, sports cars, watches and cufflinks, this is the only man-jewellery I can think of.

I have Pd and Amex Platinum and have gotten a lot more from Pd than from Amex in terms of concierge services and personalized customer service. With Amex Platinum I am one of 2 million customers...with Pd I am one of less than 10,000 which is in part what I think explains the differences in experiences for me. I am not sure I'll keep Pd unless it adds some other perks, such as status with Hyatt, but right now I would pick it over Amex. Platinum.

sbjnyc Mar 28, 2012 9:37 pm

I have Amex plat and sapphire preferred. I also have a discretionary investment account with chase. I was never offered the palladium, though. Does it have to be requested?